Topic: Vintage Modern Setting On Jools Holland

Anybody have a clue what Joe's settings were on the Jools Holland show?!?!

It looked like he was using the High Dynamic range, but I can only seem to get a good sound of the low dynamic with a tubescreamer for overdrive..

Joe maybe?=d

Gr. PJ

2 (edited by ZampraZ 2009-04-19 17:59:37)

Re: Vintage Modern Setting On Jools Holland

I don't think it's clear enough to tell. I don't think anyone could say all the settings except Joe, especially now that body, detail the boost and high range are in the loop. So lets hope Joe sees this.

Joe: If you're reading, what do you think of the Marshall Vintage Modern? Was looking at one myself and then I saw you with one as well...

Just to answer about what Joe thinks about the VM. Apparently loves it, as its got a mid boost.
I've been thinking of getting one myself, really need to after hearing that on jools, the tone was incredible!

Again, another wee question for Joe, is that (1936 i think?) 2x12 stock or have the speakers been changed?

4 (edited by Sparky 2009-04-19 22:02:59)

Is there a video available somewhere?

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXyQ6mhdN9c   

It sounds great because it's Joe, but his usual rig slays it in my opinion. It has some of that modern top end harshness.

Sparky wrote:

Is there a video available somewhere?

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXyQ6mhdN9c   

It sounds great because it's Joe, but his usual rig slays it in my opinion. It has some of that modern top end harshness.

The name VintageModern is not because it's modern. It's a vintage style amp with some modern features. It also has kt66 tubes which were used before the el34s etc so that part doesn't get more vintage. However what you describe as harshness was more "fuzz" than harshness. I see what you mean, but I think it sounded good.

Okay from what I could see he was on the Low Dynamic range and judging by the gain he had the Mid Boost was ON.  As far as the Detail and Body they must have been cranked some because that adds some gain too.  I didn't see any pedals on the ground so I'm guessing Joe was taking full advantage of the great dynamics of the VM by rolling his guitar off for the rhythm then turning it wide open for leads.  It did sound a little brighter than his normal rig but keep in mind he's only running one amp here.  When you add that other amp it fattens things up considerably.  If you watch the video of his Guitar Center demo for his rig you can hear how bright the Two-Rock and Carol-Ann are.  I doubt Joe could crank it like he wanted to because of the situation, and he didn't have the amp baffled which also warms things up.  Regardless it sounds GREAT and I fully believe in the VM series.  Future legendary Marshall amp IMO.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Well spotted Paul, as usal. I liked the song. Joe just has it in his fingers! cool
The sound isn't my cup of tea anyway. This "fuzzyness" of the VM that you mentioned is the reason.
I once had a VM and I wasn't able to make it sound good for me because it
was always there, more or less how you EQ the amp (full or low dynamic).
I don't say its a bad amp, its just nothing for me.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I think he was using the high dynamic range because at the end, you see a white light indicating high range..

If only Joe would read this...................

Gr. PJ

I'm pretty sure there we're pedals on the floor.

I saw a Tubescreamer that looked as if it had been lifted from Joe's pedalboard (taped up knobs) and also a Boss chorus pedal, thought it was a delay to begin with but with four white topped knobs must be a chorus.

I'd also agree with being able to see the VM's high dynamic range channel light on and we all know the mid boost will be in.

It was actually the low gain setting..medium amount of gain.. John Henry's standard issue Tube Sceamer and Chorus.  but I didnt use the tube screamer just straight amp.  the light on the amp was malfunctioning.  so it was stuck on high but the channel would switch.. so Low gain, mid boost chorus pedal..
Joe B

I'm 2/2!!!  Perhaps I need to get out more... hmm

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I had a VM for a week, did one gig with it, and took it back. ouldn't get along with it at all. The fizzyness you mentioned, plus it hated my Strat.

CT.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

It was actually the low gain setting..medium amount of gain.. John Henry's standard issue Tube Sceamer and Chorus.  but I didnt use the tube screamer just straight amp.  the light on the amp was malfunctioning.  so it was stuck on high but the channel would switch.. so Low gain, mid boost chorus pedal..
Joe B

Joe, what did you think of the VM?

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

I'm doing my head in trying to find that sound on the low dynamic range! There's just not enough gain!!! lol