Topic: Are Joe's cabinets "ported"?

Im thinking of building a 2x12 cabinet with some EV 12L classic speakers in it, but several people have told me I should use a "ported cabinet" with these speakers for the best sound. Does anyone know if Joe's 4x12 cabinets are ported?

Cheers.

Re: Are Joe's cabinets "ported"?

I don't really think it's an absolutely neccessary step in building a cabinet but I believe that Joe's 4x12's are ported.  Good luck on your cab, I'm sure it'll sound great with the EV's in there!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

They are Marshall style cabs so I'd say no ports.  The are seprated into columns though.

Thanks for the replies, I have asked a few questions on another forum and a guy from Catagory 5 has replied, so I have now asked him about the ports. He said they build Joe's cab's now specifically for the EV speakers. Although when I saw him at Gateshead the other night he was using Van Weeldan cabs, maybe the cat5 is the us rig...

If I get a reply from Cat5 I'll let any other people interested know!

theman101 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I have asked a few questions on another forum and a guy from Catagory 5 has replied, so I have now asked him about the ports. He said they build Joe's cab's now specifically for the EV speakers. Although when I saw him at Gateshead the other night he was using Van Weeldan cabs, maybe the cat5 is the us rig...

If I get a reply from Cat5 I'll let any other people interested know!

The guy from Cat5 says that Joe's Cat5 cabs are not ported - so that makes my build a bit easier! big_smile

the cat 5 cabs are not ported, but the section that uses the Van Weelden on his new cabs is ..only that section.. Makes a difference.  Id port it and make it switchable between.. it just depends on taste.. I know rick and bogie get a good blast now when I kick on the Twinkleland..
Joe B

Interesting....  Joe, do you find you get better articulation?  What about the roundness/focus of the sound, porting the cab would make it a brigher sound and less direct right hmm ?  Thats pretty cool though, never would have guessed.

Ben

I guess its more round and spread out for the said reasons..  again its taste and not fact.. I once responded to a fan who tried to get into a discussion about the differences on batteries in pedals like Eric Johnson can discern.. I said to him its a taste thing and shouldn't we be out talking to the cute girls in the lobby? big_smilecool This is kind of the same thing.. Ported vs not .. not much of a difference.  Its taste.. a good amp gets past that either way.. 
Joe B

Thanks for the reply Joe! big_smile
I think I might just stick to a cabinet similar in dimensions to the marshall 1936 without port holes, loaded with ev 12l's. I'll be running a marshall jcm800 100w into it.

Just out of interest how would you make it switchable between ported and non-ported? I assume make covers which slide over the holes - but wouldnt it be behind the grill cloth, or you would have to remove the back off the cabinet to move the cover?

I'm just guessing but it seems the easiest way to separate the ported section from the non ported would be to use a solid vertical divider between the 12's and separate inputs on the back for the respective heads.
That way there wouldn't be any overlap from the two sets of speakers, the ported side wouldn't be affected by the non ported.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I guess its more round and spread out for the said reasons..  again its taste and not fact.. I once responded to a fan who tried to get into a discussion about the differences on batteries in pedals like Eric Johnson can discern.. I said to him its a taste thing and shouldn't we be out talking to the cute girls in the lobby? big_smilecool This is kind of the same thing.. Ported vs not .. not much of a difference.  Its taste.. a good amp gets past that either way.. 
Joe B

Girls! I like them too lol  and I think we can arrange that thread here, but its not everday I get to rap with Mr. Joe Bonamassa either.  I know its a taste thing, but anytime I get the chance to chat with my guitar idol I go into brain picking mode...  Sorry Joe lol.

Ben

Philip

Just a guess but if Joe says that Rick and Bogie get a blast from the ported cab it's posibly rear ported - they generally stand/sit level or slightly behind Joe's rig. This may mean that it's a semi open back. I've got a Matamp 2x12 cab see this link http://www.matamp.co.uk/cabs212.htm It's the angle one.

The back is split into thirds - the bottom third is part of the cab and includes the Jack sockets - the middle and top thirds are removable. In effect you can run the cab as a closed back or semi open back by leaving the middle panel out.  The down side of open backs in my opinion is that they are more sensitive to position if you put them near a wall - not a problem for Joe but at home or even small venues it's a consideration.

A lot of commercial cabs are too small in my opinion sometimes I think the design dimensions are more about using an 8'x4' sheet without any waste rather than the sound.  It's a lot of work to build a cab and if you want it covered with handles and speaker cloth it starts to mount in cost. On the other hand it is fun and you can get what you want.

If you want some photos of the Matamp back let me know.

Good luck

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete, Ive had a think about it and I'm going to try my luck at building a 1x12 first, and it will be based around the Mesa Boogie/Thiele design. It is a ported cabinet which was designed specifically for the ev12l speaker. If that works out well I'll try out a 2x12 in the future dependant on funds (damn those speakers are expensive!)

Where do people buy their EV speakers in the UK? Only place I can find that sells them is commsandsound.com and thomann.de hmm

Philip - You have found the only sources I know about - I got mine from Commsandsound, (for the Fender Concert II) I ordered online and then found they had no stock - they offered me the Black Label one and the kind lady seemed quite put out when I said I still wanted the Classic. It arrived eventually. Yeah I know how you feel about the cost. I'm currently thinking of ordering two for the Matamp 2x12 and moving the Celestion 100s out to the Jubilee cab to replace the G12T-75s. Though sometimes I get tempted to try Celestion G12 Heritage 30 Greenbacks....

Pete

Well my new ev12l classic arrived from commsandsound.com this morning! I found a place near London called gigsounds which does it for £153, so I got in touch with commsandsound and they did me a deal for £165 including postage. Now I need to crack on with making the cabinet! cool