Topic: Couple of amps I'm looking at, any other ideas?

hey I'm a newbie here Im' just looking for a new amp in the 15 to 1800 dollar range I play mostly Classic Rock, Blues and a bit of hair metal.

Clapton
Boston
Zeppelin
ZZ Top
Van Halen
and obviously I love Joe's tone.

the amps I've been thinking really hard about have been the Splawn Quickrod, Ceriatone 2550, Bogner shiva, and the Granger M50.

I want the brit sound but want it to be thick and singing, you know what I mean I think.

Re: Couple of amps I'm looking at, any other ideas?

Maybe a Marshall 1987 50 watt clone + pedals?  The new Vintage Modern would cover a lot of those sounds.  I'm thinking if you had to choose one amp the obvious choice would be something of the Marshall vein.  Check out Metro, the have a lot of good kits if you are handy with a soldering iron and patient.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

3 (edited by BVer 2009-05-07 05:07:14)

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Maybe a Marshall 1987 50 watt clone + pedals?  The new Vintage Modern would cover a lot of those sounds.  I'm thinking if you had to choose one amp the obvious choice would be something of the Marshall vein.  Check out Metro, the have a lot of good kits if you are handy with a soldering iron and patient.

I've considered the VM but it was a bit muddy for my tastes, I  considered the 87x also I'm still thinking about that to. I'll check out the metro stuff.

any opinions on the quickrod, apparently it is a Plexi on steroids which is what I'm looking for. the Shiva I think has to much gain for me though.

the 2550  Is just a Jube clone and I'm really considering that. the M50 is also a plexi clone on steroids

How many watts?

I would also consider the Budda SD45. Or the SD 80.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

My amp is a belter, it is a Laney vc30 212.
It's nice and loud 2*35w (I often find that it is louder than Marshalls wihich claim bigger watt outputs) and perfect for that classic/blues-rock tone. Though you need a distortion pedal if you really want to rock it up.
It's about £500 so I don't know what that is at the moment, maybe $900.
Laneys are very much under valued I believe.

Sadly, it does break a lot though....!

I liked the Buddas good amps, I completley forgot about them, I'll remember to try them out again.

I'm looking for between 50 and 100 watts.

I had a laney AOR for a while, GREAT amp, prefect for the 80s thing, but that is ALL it was good for

Another great player on this forum (Ben) has some pretty sick gear, no doubt the sickest rig out of all of us.  He uses a Top Hat Emplexador for his Marshall sound and I have to say it is pretty amazing sounding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Top-Hat-Emplexador- … dZViewItem

Here's Ben in action demoing his rig. The Emplexador/Lonestar is my favorite sound here.  Not bad for an amp that is less than half of what a used Fuchs or Two Rock is going for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZyFl1IoBw

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Another great player on this forum (Ben) has some pretty sick gear, no doubt the sickest rig out of all of us.  He uses a Top Hat Emplexador for his Marshall sound and I have to say it is pretty amazing sounding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Top-Hat-Emplexador- … dZViewItem

Here's Ben in action demoing his rig. The Emplexador/Lonestar is my favorite sound here.  Not bad for an amp that is less than half of what a used Fuchs or Two Rock is going for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZyFl1IoBw

dude, that is an awesome rig. I will definitely look into that, and they don't cost an arm and a leg!

Eventually I'm hoping to have a 3 or 4 amp rig with a Ceriatone ODS, and maybe a Bassman or something. with The amp I'm buying now being the one always on, so I need to make the right choice!

This is probably the best video on how Joe gets his sound.  He breaks it down so you can get an idea of how the amps are "suppose" to sound to him.  Pay special attention to the Jubilee, there's WAY more gain and grind going on there than the other amps!  IMO the Jubilee is the most important thing to get right if you are chasing his tone.  The blended amps matter far less IMO.  Good luck with whatever you go with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyubyd68H9A

-Justin

I really like this video and have seen it several times.
The Jub and the Carol Ann are just a killer team!

By the way Justin, I'm in contact with Nik.
I think you can imagine how this will end up...? big_smile

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I love that video. I chuckle ever time "I like things with my name on it" lol

So you think I should just go Jube? I want to have enough gain to play around with "metal" sometimes though

Stratovari wrote:

I really like this video and have seen it several times.
The Jub and the Carol Ann are just a killer team!

By the way Justin, I'm in contact with Nik.
I think you can imagine how this will end up...? big_smile

Alex

Uh oh big_smile  Well congrats Alex you'll really dig your amp when it arrives.  They are just top notch.

BVer wrote:

So you think I should just go Jube? I want to have enough gain to play around with "metal" sometimes though

You should have plenty of gain to play 80's-90's metal.  If you are looking for Mesa Triple Recto drop-C death metal chugging, then you probably won't be as happy.  A Marshall amp with moderate gain is the perfect platform for building tones.  You can roll back the volume knob to clean things up, and add overdrive pedals if you need serious gain.  The main thing is you should consider the power that you'll need to get the power tubes to work a little bit, and the amount of distortion that you will be using the majority of the time.  If you are after more of a blues/classic rock tone I think a traditional Marshall such as a plexi would be better than a high gain monster.  Of coarse if you are primarily after the hair metal tone then a modern style amp such as the Quickrod or 2550 may be better option.  IMO its easier to add gain than take it away and that's why most of my amps are low/medium gain amps.  It's harder to work backwards in most cases.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
BVer wrote:

You should have plenty of gain to play 80's-90's metal.  If you are looking for Mesa Triple Recto drop-C death metal chugging, then you probably won't be as happy.  A Marshall amp with moderate gain is the perfect platform for building tones.  You can roll back the volume knob to clean things up, and add overdrive pedals if you need serious gain.  The main thing is you should consider the power that you'll need to get the power tubes to work a little bit, and the amount of distortion that you will be using the majority of the time.  If you are after more of a blues/classic rock tone I think a traditional Marshall such as a plexi would be better than a high gain monster.  Of coarse if you are primarily after the hair metal tone then a modern style amp such as the Quickrod or 2550 may be better option.  IMO its easier to add gain than take it away and that's why most of my amps are low/medium gain amps.  It's harder to work backwards in most cases.

yeah I'm not looking for gobs of gain (it muds everything up) at Most I want like metallica, type gain but mostly stuff like JB, and EJ, some Clapton, Boston stuff like that. and I love the British tone thats really what I'm going for.

I like both the quickrod and the 2550 alot it's they are different and I don't know what I like more

the quickrod has more of a plexi on roids characteristic has more mids and saturation and it seems like it has less bite

the 2550 has has more treble less gain more of a JCM800 voicing (duh) more bite and maybe a bit more gain.

I just don't know...

You obviously can't make up your mind so let me do it for you.  Buy both lol smile .

Ben

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

You obviously can't make up your mind so let me do it for you.  Buy both lol smile .

Ben

lol I said 1800 not 4k lol

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

Ben

lol:lol: Ben, why did I expect that???

/Alex

www.u2-experience.de

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Uh oh big_smile  Well congrats Alex you'll really dig your amp when it arrives.  They are just top notch.

I'm sure they are great. You know I was thinking a long time already to order or not.
I have watched a gazillion HRM videos and read many reviews and studied its technical background...what more can i do?
No chance to try one nor even a close one like a Fuchs ODS or so... It just will be good.
Btw, it was your video that gave me the final kick to order at last. wink
But Nik made a super offer since i'm a previous customer so it was a steal.
Yes i'll report of course. Waiting is 6-8 weeks.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de