Topic: Experiance of Cornford amps

Hello all.

Anyone got any views on Cornford amps.  I know the great Guthrie Govan and many others use them. Haven't played one yet, seem to be quite rare.  Got my eyes on the new MK50 mark 2.  Looks very  versatile.  Been reading loads of reviews and can't seem to find one that is bad yet.

Thanks

Re: Experiance of Cornford amps

I'd love to have one but they are big $$$$.  I've heard that they aren't far off from the Marshall sound.  All tube, PTP wiring, high grade components, etc account for the price I guess.  Guthrie Govan is a monster but I have a sneaking suspicion that he could make a Pignose sound incredible.  Yes Cornfords are really rare, but I think they just released a more affordable PCB version of the MKII's, I forget what they are called though.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I had one for a few days.. Not for me.. Good for the really strident Rock tone. They did not like the multi-amp family.  Nice people there though.. Check them out.. My friend Howard Leese loves them.. He rocks.. so there you have it..
Joe B

I have had the possibility to play a Cornford mk50 for a couple of days. It didn't like my Strat, I found it hard to get good sound out of it...the amp is very straight forward in my eyes harsh in a way. Sorry, but nothing for me.

Thanks for the responses.  I have a Custom Shop Clapton Strat so going to have to have a good play with the amp and see if likes it.  Jimi 75, what strat do you have??  Clapton strat is a bit of a strange thing where it sounds more like a Les Paul in ways than a Strat.  I read that Joe used it on a few songs.  Thankyou very much Joe for your input, your opinion is always very valuable.

mickieblue wrote:

Thanks for the responses.  I have a Custom Shop Clapton Strat so going to have to have a good play with the amp and see if likes it.  Jimi 75, what strat do you have??  Clapton strat is a bit of a strange thing where it sounds more like a Les Paul in ways than a Strat.  I read that Joe used it on a few songs.  Thankyou very much Joe for your input, your opinion is always very valuable.

I have a Jimmie Vaughan Strat and a 62 CS vintage Strat.
Well, they do not sound like a LP of course...

Just check it out for yourself, I mean everybody has a different opinion an mybe you get confused too much.

Yeah thanks. Was just seeing what others thought as it is quite an expensive amp.

ive got a roadhouse 50 combo. the roadhouse is their 'budget' line as they use a quality pcb board instead of a hand wired one but the transitors are still wired by hand. the tone is still brilliant cornford and beats anything else ive tried in that price range. 

haven't realy tried any of their other models that well but i can tell you that they're all built like a tank and that they are very reliable. id try and find a roadhouse to test if you wants something a bit cheaper. you sacrifice a reverb(has a very good effect loop though) and the boastability of a PTP board but the tone is still there.

cornfords are like marmite-you either love them or you hate them but when you love em you LOVE them cool big_smile

I had the Roadhouse 30 head for a while. It was a great sounding head and very versatile, from straight rock to more smoother tones. Good bang for the bucks, definitely. Would I buy it again if getting an amp in that price category. Possibly. But I would also consider a Budda Superdrive II 18w or 30w (I know, I know... EL84's vs 34's)..If you get a chance, check it out.

Joe I put a post on here a few months ago asking what you thought of the Custom by Cougar amp (the Mystic Blues) I have seen you trying out.  Guessing you didn't have time to see it.  Any chance of hearing your thoughts??

Here's the picture for those interested:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c … D=18690173

Have a friend that has a custom made amp from them and he can't get enough of it. 

Thanks