1 (edited by stratpaulguy86 2009-05-27 07:45:13)

Topic: Joe, what are your preferred tubes and why??

Okay, this may have already been covered but I can't seem to find anything on it.  I try and not direct threads just at Joe but....WHAT KIND OF GLASS ARE YOU USING JOE!  There has been a lot of talk about tubes of differing quality and I'm wondering how you feel about tubes.  I use JJ's in pretty much everything I have.  Some people like myself love them, others think they are crap.  Being that you have more funds and access to vintage stuff my guess is that you use some vintage tubes.  Any input would be great!  Looking forward to seeing you when you come to Florida this year BTW!  It's about time... tongue

-Justin

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Re: Joe, what are your preferred tubes and why??

I like JJs a lot for the poweramp but not that much in the preamp section.
They have a character to let the amp sound a bit darker and mellower.
For trebly and harsh sounding amps they are great. And of course for anyone who likes that character.
I found a nice preamp tube. Its the Mullard RI. You can find them here www.tubedepot.com
Very musical and warm sounding tube. I have it my 1974x and in the Budda.
I will order them for the upcoming HRM too.
But back to your question, Joe what tubes are you using? smile

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Darker sounding huh?  That's probably why I like them then.  I find that it's a lot easier to add the high end on an amplifier than it is to take it away so anything I can do to fatten or warm it up I'm up for trying.  So Alex, how long do you have left until the HRM arrives?  I can't wait for that demo!  The HRM + 2550 should sound amazing.  BTW how long did you wait for your 2550?  I'm seriously considering getting the 2555 in the near future.

-Justin

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Yes the JJs have a quiet darker and warmer sound character.
I think I have eaten up 3 weeks of waiting now. Since Nik estimated 6-8 weeks in total
there is still 4-5 weeks to wait. But the black Vox diamond grill cloth has arrived already. big_smile
The 2550 took only 4 weeks and was in time here. Sometimes I wonder I should have gone for the
2555 too. The 2550 sounds way better at lower volumes. In rehearsalroom with the band I have
the lead master on 10 and the main output master on 6. Pretty loud already but still in a range that I
can work with. Next week my new cabs will arrive. Of course I'll make a new rig clip then.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

I have Ruby tubes in my Rivera... perhaps maybe I'll switch to JJ's. Will do some more research.

I've had good luck with Sovtek in the past, and bad luck with Groove tubes.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

In all the interviews Joe has given, I've never heard him mention anything about tubes. This makes me think that he's not much of a tube swapper, but his amp tech may be.

It also may be the fact that most of Joe's amps very high end, and built just for him. In these amps, the guy who designs the amp has hand picked the tubes that are in there, and tweaked the amp to sound right with those tubes. So there's really no need to veer off and try to figure which tubes sounds best in each amp, when you can just replace them with whatever is already there.

Budda amps are designed around fairly cheap, sovtek preamp tubes. So if you ask the designer what tubes sound best in his amps, he will tell you sovtek, because he voiced the amp to sound best with those tubes. I've tried others that I have lying around (NOS mullard, brimar, tungsol...) but always go back to sovteks.

IMHO smile You can drive yourself nuts swapping out tubes, but I think with the higher end stuff, you're better off sticking with what's already in there. That being said, I don't have the most sophisticated ear, and I may not hear subtle differences between tubes that someone else might...

Tubes are usually a subtle thing as far as the overall sound.  I'm just wondering what Joe uses and if he has any tube secrets.  He's a madman when it comes to touring so I'm sure he has his tubes swapped pretty regularly.  I wonder which brands are more road worthy, sound the best, etc.  I like my JJ's a lot and don't need a $400 set of tubes for my amps for me to be happy.  I'm just interested to hear Joe's input on this wink !

Actually, I've recently read an interview with Van Weelden and how he had to come to Germany, because one of Joe's VW amps dropped or so and van Weelden himself repaired it...if I remember corretly he mentioned putting in some regular tubes and that Joe had no specific wish on the tubes.

Folks, JB can use whatever equipment there exists on earth...he will always sound great!

Hey Guys,
         I usually prefer JJ tubes for everything.. EL-34s and 6L6's .  Two Rock was always nice enough to throw New Old Stock GE 5881's into my amps that I bought.. Only problem with going there is the expense and the durability.. My stuff moves hundreds of miles a day.  Its played hard, put away still warm and travels.  So the JJ's work for me.  Mesa tubes run too hot but are good, Svetlana and new Mullard and Sovtek are good to the chrismas tree and not the amps, Groove Tubes are ok, depending on the rating. My favorite of all time is a tie, Old Tesla's from the czech republic and Siemens from Germany.  Again its all season to taste here.  But a bad tube will ruin your amps tone. 
Joe B
PS, when running new tubes, break them in. They will all start out a bit sterile, but a week in its magic, two weeks in they are perfect , three weeks in you start to lose midrange and by week four its over.. time to start again..

Hey Guys,
         I usually prefer JJ tubes for everything.. EL-34s and 6L6's .  Two Rock was always nice enough to throw New Old Stock GE 5881's into my amps that I bought.. Only problem with going there is the expense and the durability.. My stuff moves hundreds of miles a day.  Its played hard, put away still warm and travels.  So the JJ's work for me.  Mesa tubes run too hot but are good, Svetlana and new Mullard and Sovtek are good to the chrismas tree and not the amps, Groove Tubes are ok, depending on the rating. My favorite of all time is a tie, Old Tesla's from the czech republic and Siemens from Germany.  Again its all season to taste here.  But a bad tube will ruin your amps tone. 
Joe B
PS, when running new tubes, break them in. They will all start out a bit sterile, but a week in its magic, two weeks in they are perfect , three weeks in you start to lose midrange and by week four its over.. time to start again..

11 (edited by Partial2Marshall 2009-05-27 18:01:00)

Depends on the amp for me...I keep an arsenal of different 12 ax7s around and normally I am partial to tung sols...but the GT high gain kit killed in the jub, jjs don't do it for me...consistent but sterile.  Have tried many power amp tubes and love Tung sol and winged C for 6550s, eh for el34 so far (need to experiment more).  Not sure what to put in the fender twin.

Also have not tried NOS tubes...not made of money:lol:

Wow Joe...kill 'em in a month or so eh?  Wish I played that loud that often!

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Guys,
Joe B

Any preamp tube preferences?

I agree with Partial2Marshall. I have an old set of Teslas in my el-34 head and they sound great but I put them in storage and replaced them with a set of Tung Sol el-34B's that are also great tubes. The Svet 6L6's are nice for more clean headroom and more perceived output but the Tung Sol 6L6's have better tone.
I've done a lot of experimenting with a lot of different tubes and I've always gone back to Tung Sols.
JJ's are good when you have a lot of playing time like Joe does and they take massive amounts of current but tonewise, like Partial2Marshall said, they're sterile and they tend to compress way too easily under volume. If you're using 100 watt heads it might not be as apparent because you've got a lot of volume on tap but when you're pushing 40 and 50 watt amps it's quite noticeable. Joe could probably play a squire strat and small solid state amp and it would still sound fantastic because so much of his tone is in his hands.

14 (edited by Stratovari 2009-05-27 19:00:03)

Maybe it also depends on how you run the amp.
Joe cranks his 100 watter full up while most of us cannot
because we gig in smaller locations. At least I do.
But I'm sure that tubes react very different on the volume.
I personally don't like JJs in the preamp. For Joe they seem to work well
as his sound is great of course. As EL34 they are fantastic.
The new mullards are great for preamp and EL84 amps.
And of course for Christmas trees. smile

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Thanks Joe for the response!  That's cool that you use JJ's too...I've never had any issues with them and to my ears they sound pretty good.  I have to say, the way Joe goes about tone is the way it should be done.  No BS, mostly stock guitars/amps/cables that the everyday man can pretty get in the ballpark of.  Mostly just a nice Les Paul into a Marshall loaded with everyday tubes.  It really makes you focus on the playing instead of obsessing about a certain $800 boutique pedal that is handmade by some guy in the highest mountain of the Alps where they have to be made at a certain time of the year or the tone won't be right...Anyways thanks Joe and thanks for everyone's input on their favorite tubes.  Some interesting answers!

-Justin

Pre-amp tubes are again subject to taste.. Like you your amps have good days and bad days.  Power plays a big factor in that.  Anyway.. Old GE are great for 12ax7s and 7025, 12 AT7s I like RCA.  I use a AT 7 in my chandler tube driver.  Makes is less gainy as it should. Peter Van Weelden has the best knowledge of tubes I have ever run across.  He also owns the best collection of tubes.. For blue collar street preamp tubes.. I d use JJ honestly.. Thats whats in the Jubilees and dumbly things I own.. Be sure to not get too involved in the nanoisms of tube and concentrate more on achieving the tone from your playing and attack.. Thats the real key IMHO
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Pre-amp tubes are again subject to taste.. Like you your amps have good days and bad days.  Power plays a big factor in that.  Anyway.. Old GE are great for 12ax7s and 7025, 12 AT7s I like RCA.  I use a AT 7 in my chandler tube driver.  Makes is less gainy as it should. Peter Van Weelden has the best knowledge of tubes I have ever run across.  He also owns the best collection of tubes.. For blue collar street preamp tubes.. I d use JJ honestly.. Thats whats in the Jubilees and dumbly things I own.. Be sure to not get too involved in the nanoisms of tube and concentrate more on achieving the tone from your playing and attack.. Thats the real key IMHO
Joe B

Agreed...the tone is in your hands and until you get that under control quantifying differences in tube response will be hard.  Playing different places and varying voltages must play hell with the tone too,  is that what you mean by power playing a big factor?  What's the solution? take an ac reading and use a variac...or power conditioner?

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

18 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-05-28 02:00:14)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Guys,
Joe B

TUBE LIFE?

Well, I take it because you are playing in excess of 20 hours a week, that your tubes only last a month. That would be around an 80 hour life span??? I heard that preamp tubes last longer than powertubes. Is this right?
How many hours of playing time do you predict is the life of a powertube? (EL-34?)
How about a preamp tube (12AX7A?)

Let me know your SWAG (scientific wild *ss guess).

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool