Topic: Joe B takes delivery of the dreaded F word guitar..

Hey Everybody,
          I feel I need to come clean and announce that I have taken delivery of my very beautifully done Rory Gallagher Stratocaster made in March of last year.. It is fantastic and a beautiful tribute to a wonderful guitarist.. I bought it because I am playing the Cork Opera House this year in Cork Ireland.  Dave and I have some special plans for this guitar..It will not be stock in a months time... But Fender did a wonderful job with this one.. Gotta give credit were credit is due.. Its a great strat.. highly recommended for fans of Rory.. 
Something they can learn from I guess.. LOL
Joe B.

2 (edited by Stevie Boy 2009-06-08 14:01:58)

Re: Joe B takes delivery of the dreaded F word guitar..

Don’t worry your secret is safe with us wink

Rory G; What a player.Always wonder what more he would have done if he was still with us

Stevie boy

PS Just noticed i'm a Silver Member Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!   big_smile

The irish fans will be very pleased at this hommage to Rory.
Is there any chance it will be recorded or filmed?
A friend of mine has a RG strat too and its a killer of a strat tone.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I worked for Fender in Germany many many years and the first models were honestly spoken "dead camels", which is the reason why you can still get some of the first deliveries in some German stores. Later on they really improved. I remember getting to know Rory's brother who cooperated with Fender in the making of the Tribute Strat - I wasn't involved in the making!
Rory's brother stood with us for some days at the musical tradefair in Frankfurt and he is really a very nice guy.

Joe, I highly appreciate your always diplomatic attitude. You seem always to find the most suitable and peaceful way to go for all parties involved. Fender is still a great company and it would be a shame if a player like you didn't get the best of both worlds, like Mark Knopfler does for e.g.

Congrats on the RG Strat. By the way, Rory live at the Cork opera sometimes in the early 90's is one of my favourite all time concerts!

Shadow Play perhaps?  His coolest tune IMHO.....  My dad showed me that one smile.

Ben

Joe plays a F****r ...ahem... Fender strat again?! GREAAAT!
(nothin' against LPs but it's great to hear some strat tones again... and if it's only for one show cool )

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Can we expect you to cover "Moonchild" on your next release? big_smile
I know that you would do Rory proud!

Keep on rockin!

Major Tom to ground control...

8 (edited by Matt 2009-06-08 15:31:57)

Awesome,  Ireland again big_smile.

Cork is a bit of a drive, but lets see eh... wink

Congrats on the new guitar smile.  Hopefully I'l be able to make it down and see the show.

Cheers,
Matt

Congratulations Joe,

"The dreaded F word guitar".    I'm going to paste that over the top of my headstock logo.

Sweet!!!

lol

Rory was quite a guy.    Heroes never die.

Morgan

"I learned to like carrots" - JB

"Schiffer broke a bottle on Morgan's head"

10 (edited by Partial2Marshall 2009-06-08 17:48:16)

Were all entitled to a little back slide now and then...I still play my Jackson custom shops (hand made & signed, usa, you won't find these at the GC) every now and then and we all know who owns/makes Jackson...Fender...there I said it, my mouth feels dirty and I have to brush my teeth.  roll

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

I made my own Rory Strat once. Stripped down my old one, tied it to the back of my car and drove down a mates hideously long and windy gravel drive. Awesome.

And it's gotta be Bad Penny for the cover. Or some acoustic Rory, bit of Ragtime or something.

When i met Joe we talked a lil bit about guitar players. Of all the guitar players in the world we pretty much only talked about Rory Gallagher!
It is clear that Joe like Rory very much! So do I! Infact im listening to him right now...haha big_smile

I hope you wore a balaclava when you took delivery of it? Just in case there were any spies lurking in the bushes sad

Joking aside, congratulations on your new guitar big_smile

P.S. Can I have a go?

*behave*

*Seek that which within lies waiting to begin the fight of your life that is everyday*
...The flute is a heavy, metal instrument...
Would you like some cheese with that whine?

14 (edited by BluesMan 2009-06-08 19:47:57)

A wonderful surprise Joe and one of the greatest guitarists that I ever had the pleasure of seeing live! smile

May I make a suggestion? How about playing "In Your Town", the version off of the "Live In Europe" album? That one always gets my blood boiling and I think it would knock them dead in Cork. wink

Roy

P.S. I think I'll pull out my Tele tonight as a salute to you both!

Joe is the Best!

I'm afraid to ask what happened to cause all of these Fender taboo replies.

Voodoo Blues wrote:

I'm afraid to ask what happened to cause all of these Fender taboo replies.

A couple of things.

First off I'm convinced Joe stopped playing strats because every numbskull music critic that came along began their review by calling him the next SRV clone and I think Joe just got sick of that comparison.

Second, if you look at some videos from 4 or 5 years ago you'll see Joe playing his (back then) #1 axe, a gold sparkle strat.
Fender went and made a special run of custom strats nearly identical to it and gave Joe absolutely no credit for the inspiration. This is when Fender was cranking out a new artist inspired axe every other month. That left a bitter taste in his mouth. There are a couple of threads in the archives if you search for them.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see Joe picked up the Rory strat. Joe is just too nice not to carry a grudge forever and just maybe that will give him the inspiration to cover a few of Rory's songs. Remember "Cradle Rock"? smile

Now, if the critics will compare him to Rory rather than SRV he just might keep playing it! big_smile

Major Tom to ground control...

Ah the gold sparkle Strat, I've seen references to that guitar a few times around here.  Does anyone have a pic of it? Can someone point out a song that Joe plays it on.

I remember reading an article where Joe says that he wanted to avoid the SRV comparison and he figured the best way was to play Gibsons. LOL

18 (edited by BluesMan 2009-06-08 22:25:09)

You can see Joe playing "Goldie" on his Live at Rockpalst DVD. Great stuff!! smile

Or, you can see it here. This one is dedicated to Patty (pattyluvsjoe). wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T8xOoPJyZk

Roy

P.S. I hope to see that one displayed at the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame someday. Maybe they'll even let me touch it! smile

Joe is the Best!