Topic: Which pickups in this strat of joe?

Does someone know which pickups joe has in this strat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeGlwMlp … re=related

Gr. PJ

Re: Which pickups in this strat of joe?

What incredible tone!  It doesn't even sound like a Strat, more like a Les Paul or 335...it looks like he was on the bridge pickup the whole time.  That's the tone I'm trying to get out of my Strat bridge PU!  Anyways, I believe the guitar is a Fender Custom Shop '57 reissue and my guess is that is has the stock pickups that it came with.  It's anyone's guess really, but my guess is the original vintage spec custom wound Fender pickups.  Interestingly, I think that particular sunburst CS Strat was the last official Strat to be in Joe's touring rig before he banned Fender.  I guess the ban is over now that Joe is supposedly rockin' a Rory Gallagher signature model!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I don't think that was a new one.  I bet it was old.  I remember seeing that guitar in a close up pic and it didn't appear to be new unless it was a relic.

Ben

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

I don't think that was a new one.  I bet it was old.  I remember seeing that guitar in a close up pic and it didn't appear to be new unless it was a relic.

Ben

I think this is a custom shop - I saw this guitar real close up way back when Joe played Tavistock in Devon, UK  & it has a really flamey neck & relic's body although could be an old strat with a new neck knowing Joe's huge collection of guitars - sounds like he's got the bridge pup wired to the tone control for a little high end roll off a la Eric Johnson too.  As you say the tone is sublime- awesome in fact!

Mitch

This don't look like no express way to me...

ha!

I thought it was a vintage one. with vintage everything. can't begin to guess what year. It's just like the one he played on his instructional DVD.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Except that it has a maple neck, the instructional one was a vintage rosewood slab '65 Stratocaster I believe.  I think that was shot in 2007 or early 2008.  I believe at that time Joe was only using that Strat for the live version of "Django" and would immediately switch to the Les Paul for "Just Got Paid" as you can see in the last few seconds of the video.  I remember an article from about that time in a magazine or something that had his live guitar arsenal and it included 2 Gigliotti GT's, 4-5 Les Paul R9's, a ES335, BB King Lucille model, and a single maple board Custom Shop Stratocaster.  Besides, for a while now Joe has been using new guitars live.  I highly doubt he would bust out an original '57 Sunburst in seemingly mint condition for just one song a night on the road and risk losing a $50,000+ guitar.  Just my 2 cents...

-Justin

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

That guitar is a Fender Custom Shop - Custom Classic

Here is a link to one

http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fe … 510640.php

and here is the description of the pups

"2 Modern Classic Single-Coil Pickups (Neck, Middle), 1 Hot Classic Single-Coil Pickup (Bridge), with Custom Steel Inductance Plate"

I have had several of this model, great guitars
One of the best bang for the  buck Custom Shop guitars

Not too many have been crazy about the pups in these, me neither, the neck/mid are "modern"
which means they overwound them, they lost their sparkle are most thought they were ehhhh

The inductance plate on the bridge is supposed to focus the sound, make it beefier
and sound more like tele

I would not be surprised if Joe swapped the pups out
Fralin makes his bridge pups with the baseplate
And Joe at least at one time was a huge fan of Fralin, may still be ???

cheers

Thanks Rick for the link on that guitar, looks sweet and in Joe's hands it sounds....heavenly.  If Joe could chime in, I'd like to know what pickups are in that guitar.  That bridge pickup tone on Django is exactly what I want and am not getting out of my '57/'62 bridge pickup.  Joe was a big Fralin guy and also used the Gold Lace Sensors in his old Clapton Strats.  Now those are some guitars I wish he'd bring back out on the road!

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Thanks Rick for the link on that guitar, looks sweet and in Joe's hands it sounds....heavenly.  If Joe could chime in, I'd like to know what pickups are in that guitar.  That bridge pickup tone on Django is exactly what I want and am not getting out of my '57/'62 bridge pickup.  Joe was a big Fralin guy and also used the Gold Lace Sensors in his old Clapton Strats.  Now those are some guitars I wish he'd bring back out on the road!

Well, he can't bring the Black Clapton Strat on the road.
Cuz I now own it :-)

I like the 57/62 set , but only clean for some reason.

I'm quite fond of the Fralin Vintage Hots
That set also has an overwound bridge, which is really nice
Comes with, and without a baseplate

that is actually my custom shop 58 from Manson's guitar shop in England.. I never take my guitars apart unless they need working on.. I think its stock..
Joe B

that is actually my custom shop 58 from Manson's guitar shop in England.. I never take my guitars apart unless they need working on.. I think its stock..
Joe B

12 (edited by Geko 2009-06-24 01:12:16)

hi Joe  the Rory  Gallagher signature looks great !!!

ps i have not read the topic only wanted to say this in the mood wink