Topic: Ultimate blues-rock amp?

Is there such thing? Actually, here's kind of problem...I play in one blues band, and in a hard rock (for now Deep Purple tribute) band....I play Stratocaster and a Les Paul....I really,really like the SRV, John Mayer,Bonamassa(clean) kind of strat sound, but I also like Bonamassa's drive, Gary Moore's tone, Gilmour, and those driven tones, Rory Gallagher, Hendrix....I first planned to buy some fender, like twin reverb or something like that, but I heard it's bad for drive, than Marshall JTM came on my mind, or some Vox AC30....I'm not really sure what is the best option.....so what you reccomend? I don't have money to buy two amps, and than switch between them smile

2 (edited by JohnTB 2009-07-08 18:16:23)

Re: Ultimate blues-rock amp?

Your always gonna need a clean sound right? I'd start by getting the best clean soundin amp (with in budget maybe a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI) I could get then get a decent OD (Oceanfx Pearl Drive, Fulltone OCD) or something along them lines. The hp switch on the ocd can get a good driven sound very marshall esq and it cleans up real nice when rolled back...

I hear the Hot Rod Deluxe with Omega Mods is a fantastic amp for a cheap price.  It has excellent Fender cleans with Marshall/Dumble drive.

4 (edited by Beerdog80 2009-07-08 21:50:33)

Try a Marshall Bluesbreaker combo might be worth checking out.  The real Marshall is kinda pricy but the clones out there are REALLY good.

But to answer your question....I there is not 'A' perfect amp.  Hell, on SRV's 1989 Austin City Limits show, there was a JCM800 in his stack IIRC.  That kinda surprised me since thats more known for high gain type stuff but hey, goes to show you can work with just about anything.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

There isn't a ultimate blues-rock amp. Everyone has their favorites. Maybe try a Fender 57 Twin or Deluxe. I know they're pricey but you can find a used one cheap if you look. A Marshall Bluesbreaker combo is a great suggestion too. Lot's of good clones out there too.

Good Luck!

Thanks for replies.....actually, I know a good amp maker here, who makes some of the best amp ever seen and heard, from a top quality materials for half the price of the one with the name (Marshall,Fender etc...) ....
I was actually thinkin' about fender+fulltone ocd......
How the bluesbreaker sound with the strat? I thought about the blues breaker, but I don't know, I'm not into the Clapton's early sound....I like more the new one smile
Is there any famous guitarist using this one,? (just to here some good example) because on amateur you tube videos, all amps sound pretty same:/

7 (edited by JohnTB 2009-07-09 00:00:02)

I'm running a OCD > blues deluxe / fender champ ATM if I get time over the weekend i'll do a clip of my lpaul and strats.
I am very amateur tho but I'm sure you will here the difference. I bought the OCD purely on a hunch because there wasn't a great deal of good videos.

If I were in your shoes with your needs here's exactly what I would use:

Guitars-you already have them covered, Strat and Les Paul

Amp(s)- some of the best all around amps ever:  Fender Super Reverb, Dr. Z Maz 18 (hell any Z with enough watts for your needs would be awesome), or the formentioned Bluesbreaker JTM45.  I would say that my Z is my desert island amp right now, it just sounds amazing and Fendery with a Strat and like an old Vox/Marshall hybrid with humbuckers.

Pedals- Of course this depends on what amp you went with, but the guys above are right.  You need a great fundimental tone be it mostly clean or mildly distorted.  All of the amps I mentioned do that semi clean mild breakup thing great that sounds much more lively than say a sqeaky clean Fender Twin.  I like my cleans with a little gainey warmth.  Anyways, here's my desert island pedal pedal suggestions:  Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone Catalyst (for fuzzes), Vox wah, a tuner (I use the Planet Waves ones), Boss DD-3 or Line 6 DL4 for delay, and that's about it.

You should be able to cover a lot of ground with a killer single coil guitar, killer humbucking guitar, a nice combo amp, a couple gain boxes, a wah, and delay.  Sounds like a lot, but it's what works for me tongue .

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Oh and to answer your original question, the ultimate blues amp IMO is a toss up between a Blackface Super Reverb or Tweed Bassman.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Tangent time...sort of....I am still looking for "my" blues rock amp....

Does anyone here have any experience with a Marshall JTM 30?

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Guitar_thrill wrote:

Is there such thing? Actually, here's kind of problem...I play in one blues band, and in a hard rock (for now Deep Purple tribute) band....I play Stratocaster and a Les Paul....I really,really like the SRV, John Mayer,Bonamassa(clean) kind of strat sound, but I also like Bonamassa's drive, Gary Moore's tone, Gilmour, and those driven tones, Rory Gallagher, Hendrix....I first planned to buy some fender, like twin reverb or something like that, but I heard it's bad for drive, than Marshall JTM came on my mind, or some Vox AC30....I'm not really sure what is the best option.....so what you reccomend? I don't have money to buy two amps, and than switch between them smile

I'm using a 74 Fender Twin sorta,lol. It's a Siverface but it's had the "Blackface" mod,been converted to EL34s,convert to master volume,and has an adjustable mid boost. We are very lucky to have an amazing amp guy here in Memphis (Robert Henson) that (like me) is not big on Fenders but is great at modding the daylights out of them. Anyways it does a great job at both blues and rock. However I am going to have him build me a Plexi clone soon w KT66es cause as stated,there is no "perfect" amp. I agree with the DrZ thing. Great allround amps.

Thanks for answers.....I think I'm going for some fender that can be just little distorted when cranked up....and than fulltone ocd for big drive, and tube  screamer, for boost on clean, for clean solos....what do you think about Vibroverb? And what's the difference between 4x10", 2x12" and a single 15" speakers? What do you recommend?

Just picked up a mesa electadyne, or the anti-mesa as I call it. Wonderful cleans, and with crunch and lead modes to it. Only a handful of knobs! The latest ones have a knob and switch on the back to better balance the clean with the other two modes, as well as give the clean more headroom. Takes pedals better than my other amps. If you need a really clean-clean, this is said the be better than the lonestar which I've heard has beautiful clean tones as well, but lacked the drive. The electradyne is not a heavy metal head. If you need monster gain, you'll need to hit it with some pedal. Not a ton, but some. The clean channel with a little boost to give it attitude is a wonderful blues tone.

Guitar_thrill wrote:

Thanks for answers.....I think I'm going for some fender that can be just little distorted when cranked up....and than fulltone ocd for big drive, and tube  screamer, for boost on clean, for clean solos....what do you think about Vibroverb? And what's the difference between 4x10", 2x12" and a single 15" speakers? What do you recommend?

Vibroverbs are obviously great, being that they were one the late great SRV's faves.  They command big bucks these days, even the reissues as I assume you are referring to.  I don't know what your budget requirements are, but there are a LOT of amps out there that can smoke a Fender for a lot less money.  The Dr. Z Z-28 is a fantastic amp that sounds like the best Super Reverb I've ever heard only in a smaller more ear friendly package.  "El Macombo" tones all day long.  My Maz is a lot like the Z-28, only with a slightly more British flavor and is more versitle.  IMO the Z amps smoke any Fender I've heard/owned and that goes for Supers, Twins, Deluxes, Princetons, Bassmans, etc.  To each their own though.  Here's a couple clips of my Z in action with a Strat, PRS, and Les Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ReHXSwmCXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmkfMZD … re=related

As far as new Fenders go though, the new Princeton reissues are nice.  The DDRI's are always a great all around amp, and the Super is sweet if you can get away with cranking it up.  Have fun amp shopping!

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Vibroverbs are obviously great, being that they were one the late great SRV's faves.  They command big bucks these days, even the reissues as I assume you are referring to.  I don't know what your budget requirements are, but there are a LOT of amps out there that can smoke a Fender for a lot less money.  The Dr. Z Z-28 is a fantastic amp that sounds like the best Super Reverb I've ever heard only in a smaller more ear friendly package.  "El Macombo" tones all day long.  My Maz is a lot like the Z-28, only with a slightly more British flavor and is more versitle.  IMO the Z amps smoke any Fender I've heard/owned and that goes for Supers, Twins, Deluxes, Princetons, Bassmans, etc.  To each their own though.  Here's a couple clips of my Z in action with a Strat, PRS, and Les Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ReHXSwmCXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmkfMZD … re=related

As far as new Fenders go though, the new Princeton reissues are nice.  The DDRI's are always a great all around amp, and the Super is sweet if you can get away with cranking it up.  Have fun amp shopping!

I thoutght I said, that I will buy a clone, I know a guy that makes everything you want from amps, and uses top quality parts, and still it costs more than half a price, of the brand amps (marshall,fender etc.)...problem with this Z amp (wich sounds great on your clips) is that I can't try it over here,in my country, so I should try on something traditional...so money is not the problem, I get everything relatively cheap (in comparation with originals)...plus, he can make me any kind of speaker set (that is why I asked the main differencies between 10" 12" 15"), and add all those little cool things (triode/pentode switch....)....he even makes the amp that in itself got the marshall and a fender circuit, so you can choose between, an switch as you want...I was thinkin' about that, but I guess I'm too traditional, I like as little as possible smile

How loud do you want to be? 20 Watts? 40? 100?

First, you need to determine that.

Are you mic'ing the Amp? Or, are you just cranking the Amp?

Are you playing Gigs soon? Or, are you gonna be mainly a Garage Band?

These are much more important questions to start with. There are Amps of all stripes nowadays, at all volume levels. But, you need to make the Volume choices first.

Otherwise, you'll lose some money when you re-sell that new Amp in six months.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Guitar_thrill wrote:

It's always hard to find 'the right' amp.... right now I play a Hot Rod Deville 4x10 and it's doing its job ok, however, I'm still looking.... I've played over the JTM45 clones and I must say I was very impressed. Check with ceriatone, I think they make the best clones for a good buck.... as far as drive : I never use the overdrive of an amp... especially on Fender amps... I dont really care for their overdrive channels... a ts808 reissue should do a good job... I have a Route 66 (same opamp as the 808) and I love it.

Keep looking and hopefully one day you find you the amp you like.... I could suggest a Van Weelden, Category 5 etc etc... killer tones !!!! :-)

Sven Vandermaas

Sven Vandermaas

Budda wrote:

How loud do you want to be? 20 Watts? 40? 100?

First, you need to determine that.

Are you mic'ing the Amp? Or, are you just cranking the Amp?

Are you playing Gigs soon? Or, are you gonna be mainly a Garage Band?

These are much more important questions to start with. There are Amps of all stripes nowadays, at all volume levels. But, you need to make the Volume choices first.

Otherwise, you'll lose some money when you re-sell that new Amp in six months.

Well 20 or 40 watts, I crank the amp, and when I play in bigger places I mic it, and for the gigs, I play in smaller clubs, and sometimes (around 5 times in a year) i play on some open stages (festivals, biker parties etc)