Topic: Boss DD-3 Noise and...

...tonesucking. hmm

As much I like the delay of the Boss DD-3, after a tweak session with my stuff (at last I had time to do that)
I noticed how much it sucks the tone. The DD-3 is in the fx loop of my Ceriatone 2550.
If the delay is deactivated and you unplug the wires out of the loop you hear obviously that the signal gets a step louder,
fresher with more dynamics. Wow what a difference! Also, if you hear closer there is a kind of digital hiss that follows the repeats.
Latter isn't a big problem but the tonesucking is definately.
Just to make clear, I use high quality cables for the fx loop. I have two DD3s and both do the same.
My settings are all knobs on noon beside the level button.
Its on 10 o'clock. I was quiet shocked at the immense loss of tone. I put it out of the chain for the first.
A very little loss of tone from pedals in bypass mode is normal I think. But this is way too much.

Does anybody of you have the same "problem"? wink
How did you solve that?

always good tone,
Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Re: Boss DD-3 Noise and...

Hmm, I've never really noticed a significant change in my tone from putting a DD-3 in the loops of my amps.  If you really like the DD-3 but want some upgrades you could always send it to either Analogman or Keeley.  Alex, since you have two I would keep one and have the other modded.  If that doesn't work then I would probably check out the MXR Carbon Copy delay.  I believe that unit is analog and also has a slight modulation to make it sound more like a tape unit (or Deluxe MM).  I've heard very good things about those pedals.  I think they are also true bypass.  It's not like your rig isn't already sounding pretty killer wink .  I'd like to see the Hayseed/2550 rig that you put together in action cool .

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

THIS is something I too have noticed with the Ceriatone HRM  I have moved my boss rv5 to the jubilee because using both delay and reverb sucks serious tone, kept the DD3 for the ceriatone with just a slapback delay and I can live with this
IMO the jubilee has a much better fx loop, compared to ceriatone . This is the reason a DUMBLEATOR was made for the original dumbles and is supposed to really bring the amp alive! I will look to making one in the future.

Alex IF you are looking for a dumbleator there is a Guy at ceriatone forum who is looking to sell some he made.

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

Thanks guys for your replies.
I will try another delay pedal that I'm after since a long time.
Its a MEK DD-800 delay. Made by a great german pedal builder.
It has a real hardware true bypass (not just buffered) and its analog.
http://www.sparrows-corner.com/mailorde … D-800.html

I have a fantastic TS clone from MEK already. This is reall good stuff.
And if this works great I will rather sell one DD-3 and keep the other one
for my small pedalboard. About the dumbleator, one day when I'll have money again
(can take a while, just bought a house... lol ) I'll buy the Fuchs verbrator.
Fantastic reverb unit with integrated dumbleator.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

SOFTMC wrote:

IMO the jubilee has a much better fx loop, compared to ceriatone . This is the reason a DUMBLEATOR was made for the original dumbles and is supposed to really bring the amp alive! I will look to making one in the future.

I was thinking the same thing, it sounds like it may be more of an effects loop issue rather than the pedal itself. Joe is always talking about what a good effects loop the Marshall Jub has.

If you run long cables thats where you get the change in tone.  Try it with patch cables.

Ben

PS - Almost anything sounds good cranked up, just play louder lol.

SOFTMC wrote:

This is the reason a DUMBLEATOR was made for the original dumbles and is supposed to really bring the amp alive! I will look to making one in the future.

I was just going to say the same thing. I use Nik's Kleinulator with my OTS and it's great. Having said that I use my DD-7 in front of the amp (last in the fx chain) with my Ceriatone JTM-45 BB and no problems whatsover.

Ben, I use 5 meter cables but very good ones.
Patch cables require to put the delay pedal right on the amp
instead of the pedalboard. Its not very practicable when you play live.

Ken, I'm very sure it has something to do with the fx loop.
I use the the DD-3 quiet a long time and I never noticed that
significant loss of signal. Maybe this is a weak point at ceriatone amps.
I need to try this on my HRM too.

Justin, I heard many good things of the MXR.
I'm a bit a "try before buy" believer. smile
But this is an option. Maybe I can shoot a used one on ebay.
And yes, I will make a clip of Hayseed/2550 rig very soon.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

9 (edited by GoT MuLe 31788 2009-07-24 02:23:08)

Stratovari wrote:

Ben, I use 5 meter cables but very good ones.
Patch cables require to put the delay pedal right on the amp
instead of the pedalboard. Its not very practicable when you play live.

Ken, I'm very sure it has something to do with the fx loop.
I use the the DD-3 quiet a long time and I never noticed that
significant loss of signal. Maybe this is a weak point at ceriatone amps.
I need to try this on my HRM too.

Justin, I heard many good things of the MXR.
I'm a bit a "try before buy" believer. smile
But this is an option. Maybe I can shoot a used one on ebay.
And yes, I will make a clip of Hayseed/2550 rig very soon.

Alex

There is still signal loss over distance.  It doesn't matter what kind of cables you use.  Plus the way your fx loop works is exactly how it sounds.  Its a loop, so yea its actually 10 meters in just the loop (5 send, 5 return), plus you patch cables, plus the cables to and from your amp and guitar.  The loop is in the line of the guitar signal, its just located after all the power and pre-amp stages (after all of the gain) - thats why delay sounds better in the loop, its delaying the overall sound.  Its not delaying the guitar signal and then forcing it through all those gain stages.  If you played a straight up clean amp, you actually be able to put the delay out front.  No matter what pedal you use its still going to loose signal b/c of the resistance of the cable.  I use the DD-3 and and 20 footers in both send and return for the practicallity of it as well.  They are Mogami and it still sounds good, just not as bright.  What a tube buffered effects loop like the Dumbleator does is boost the signal back up.

Ben

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

There is still signal loss over distance.  It doesn't matter what kind of cables you use.  Plus the way your fx loop works is exactly how it sounds.  Its a loop, so yea its actually 10 meters in just the loop (5 send, 5 return), plus you patch cables, plus the cables to and from your amp and guitar.  The loop is in the line of the guitar signal, its just located after all the power and pre-amp stages (after all of the gain) - thats why delay sounds better in the loop, its delaying the overall sound.  Its not delaying the guitar signal and then forcing it through all those gain stages.  If you played a straight up clean amp, you actually be able to put the delay out front.  No matter what pedal you use its still going to loose signal b/c of the resistance of the cable.  I use the DD-3 and and 20 footers in both send and return for the practicallity of it as well.  They are Mogami and it still sounds good, just not as bright.  What a tube buffered effects loop like the Dumbleator does is boost the signal back up.

Ben

Yes I'm totally aware about the normal signal loss over long cables.
And I'm ready to let a certain percentage go. But if the loss (in bypass mode) is that huge then I cannot accept this.
I hope the hardware bypass of the MEK delay let the signal run through without such significant loss.
If it does the same then it is how the fx loop works. In this case I'll solve the thing with a dumbleator.
Kleinulator or Fuchs verbrator.

Thanks again
Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Stratovari wrote:

It has a real hardware true bypass (not just buffered) and its analog.

Be careful - sometimes a good buffer is better than a true bypass switch, especially switching a delay. Often true bypass switches create a switch "pop" and if that is additionally delayed... ... PLOP pop pop.. p... roll wink

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

After reading you post, I would not be surprised if it wasnt the Ceritone that is the source of the volume decrease.. That sounds like a loop problem.  On the Silver Jubilees and other marshall I have never run across that in the boss DD-3 delays.. One way to fix it is to find a tech and see if you can get a more 1 to 1 ratio from your loop.. Its probably wired in Parallel which is not great.. Series is your friend.. Good Luck
Joe B

I know I am in the minority on this but I just don't like boss pedals everyone I tried has just been noisey and sucked the tone, even with good cables in front or in the loop.

Second the loop on my Jub does give me a volume decrease when I run a delay there, I don't know why I have even had the Loop looked at. Its not a huge loss but none the less if I run the delay in front its much louder. Delay can be a real pain for me my band has a song really delay driven - think U2 Streets - and man I have tried a few different ones and the small Guytone MD2 delay is the best I need to get another one of those.

Big E wrote:

I know I am in the minority on this but I just don't like boss pedals everyone I tried has just been noisey and sucked the tone, even with good cables in front or in the loop.

Second the loop on my Jub does give me a volume decrease when I run a delay there, I don't know why I have even had the Loop looked at. Its not a huge loss but none the less if I run the delay in front its much louder. Delay can be a real pain for me my band has a song really delay driven - think U2 Streets - and man I have tried a few different ones and the small Guytone MD2 delay is the best I need to get another one of those.

Keeley boss is much better.  Super quiet,  quieter then my old rack system.

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Thanks guys for all the replies.
Yes I think its the loop of the ceriatone. I use the DD-3 for a very long time now
and had never any issues with other amps. But since the basic sound of the 2550 is
really amazing I try solve it with a dumbleator or as Joe suggested, try to get 1:1 ratio by an amp tech.
Its a serial fx loop by the way. smile

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

It may be worh dropping Nik AN EMAIL  and ask his advice .because the jubilee should have a good
effects loop which is powered off V2 in pre amp section ,I think, may be worth
changing V2

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

17 (edited by Beerdog80 2009-07-29 19:20:53)

Stratovari wrote:

...tonesucking. hmm

As much I like the delay of the Boss DD-3, after a tweak session with my stuff (at last I had time to do that)
I noticed how much it sucks the tone. The DD-3 is in the fx loop of my Ceriatone 2550.
If the delay is deactivated and you unplug the wires out of the loop you hear obviously that the signal gets a step louder,
fresher with more dynamics. Wow what a difference! Also, if you hear closer there is a kind of digital hiss that follows the repeats.
Latter isn't a big problem but the tonesucking is definately.

Alex

Alex, part of the problem your referring to is common with a lot of Boss pedals. It's an issue with their buffering design.  Depending on what version you have, it could be as simple as upping the impedance in the buffering section.   Do other pedals do the same thing in the loop?

Also, as already mentioned, ask Nik about the loop.  Specifically, ask him what it would take to up it's output level.  It's not a hard problem to fix.  A trimpot or a pot wired up to control it's level would be a good start but ask him where to wire something like that up to save the hassle with trying to reverse engineer the amps layout.  I've never poked around that model so I don't have any ideas for you on where you could start.   

As for the noise, you can make some changes to the pedal to quiet the noise...but again, that's dependent on what version you have.  Read this link to figure out which one you have...http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/DD3.htm

Most other common Boss pedals only require a few bucks in parts and some time to get some get some real good sound out of them.  If modding is not your gig, the previously mentioned Keeley is a great way to go.  Best thing about Boss is their are pedals are cheap and found everywhere so when you spill beer on it or it gets ripped off,  you can get another one easily. 

The only 'boutique' pedals I own are a CE-2 clone (NEVER taking my origional out of the house-not worth the risk) and a couple compressors that I've built myself so I don't have to spend $400 for a pedal, like that new TS808 handwired pedal Ibanez recently put out.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

On the subject of effects loops and delays, what would happen if I plugged a delay into an amp that has a +3 or +6 db boost in the loop? Would it sound louder?

You know, I have a lot more gear than I need, but not as much as I want.