Topic: Direct outs on guitar amps

I've got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.  It doesn't have a Direct Out but I can't afford a instrument mic at this time.  Is it possible to unplug the speaker which has a 1/4 jack coming from the amp to the speaker and plugging it directly to the mixing board or will this be bad for the amp and blow one of the transformers up because it doesn't release the power load correctly.  The power is 8ohms coming from the amp to the speaker and the power side of the mixer is 1000 watts going to 8 ohms speakers as well.  If anybody has an answer that would be great thanks.

Re: Direct outs on guitar amps

That would be bad. A direct line out from an amp is a line level signal and the speaker output has enough power to drive the speaker. Definitely not the same. Will damage the amp and the mixing board.

Thats kind of what I thought.  Is there a way to use an effects loop's power out as a way of cheating a direct out?  I'm not looking for good sound, just looking for cheap means of getting sound.

Man,  you either need a Mic, or a Load Box type of set up. Behringer (I think) makes a cheap D.I. Load Box/Speaker Emulator  for your specific purpose. But, there is a better alternative, cost-wise.

Can't afford an Instrument Mic? Rent one (or a Load Box) from a local Music Store.

And here's another great option, which I have used to great result: Cheap Mics!

V-Tech makes a great "Shure-Like" Mic that you can find new in Pawn Shops, as well as Music Stores. Usually about $35.00.

Sounds very good too! Maybe not as durable as a Shure, etc. But, they sound fine for a loud guitar amp. In fact, even in Studio work, sometimes they have been preferred over the more costly "Name" brand Mics.

HTH.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Why would you not want a good sound?  You want the best sound possible.  A Shure SM-57 is only a 100 bux.  Look on ebay too.  Not having a good sound is silly.

Ben

Best boxes hands down.  I have four of them running with big bertha(for lack of a better term for my 4 amp backbreaker) now.  They are called Palmer Speaker emulators.  You can adjust the high end and they sound very tight and articulate.  I finally tracked them down.  Tour Supply has them in the USA.  They are a German Company.  Nice guys as well. 
Joe B

Joe do you use the Palmer's live or in the studio? Or both?

I'm playing in a group that in 4 weeks is playing a charity gig.  We don't get paid and I've just tried to come up with cost effective ways of making sounds out side for low money.  Doesn't matter now because we blew up our power mixer.  One guy was trying to hook up a speaker cab to another and from what we can tell took the cabinets down to less then 2 ohms and all we heard was pop.  The end.  So we've decided we are just going to rent a PA and have a sound man that knows what he's doing do all the hard work.