Topic: Yay! More amp blending!

haha- I want to use a budda superdrive 30 as my main amp. I saw Davy Knowles and backdoor slam a couple times and was completely sold on that, he makes it sound incredible. Now for a second amp, Im looking for something that can go from nice fat and chunky to screaming. I am thinking a Plexi clone or a JTM45 clone... any input?

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: Yay! More amp blending!

Man, I'd suggest a 6L6 Amp to mix with the EL-84s. GREAT mix there. And it looks like you already have a Fender that will fill the bill.

The differences the 2 tube types have, really fills up your sound. Especially on the Cleans and the slightly OD tones.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

3 (edited by Logo33 2009-09-21 06:50:24)

thanks budda-

The fender will do for now,  but I want to check out Redplate amps out of Arizona, eventually. Redplate is a 40w dumble clone with SO MUCH BALLS. Ronnie Baker Brooks plays them, and I must say they really do sound great. But as I am a die hard Joe Bonamassa fan, id like to get into the multiple amp setup. I want it to be 3 amps, and I know i want the Budda, and the Redplate. In another post i did tonight, i read about the voodoo v-plex which is a 6L6 based plexi amp... im not sure how that works, but sound interesting...

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Hey guys.. I know I use a few variations of dumble clones and even a Marshall clone here and there.  But I will say as a consumer advocate here I am not sold on some of the Marshall clones.  I think an authentic Marshall will win the day.  There is a certain complexity to especially the old ones that the new clones don't have.  The  post Bernie Madoff affect has brought the originals down to pre investment banker levels.  A real 1980's  JCM 800 series or early 70's JMP or even a metal face 1969 that has not been treated a cash for clunkers 1980 Lincoln Continental. Those amps can be had reasonably these days.  Honestly some of  these new clone amps use Mercury Magnetics transformers(those are especially questionable in my mind)  and new parts that do not sound right driven into natural overdrive. IMHO.  The Cat 5 suffers from this a little as well. I find if I let the tubes get really worn in and turn it up to like 5 it's fine.  Again this is all taste.  I will say I just got a 1985 Boogie Mark 3 in wood and cane.  It is great.  It was a bargain at 800 dollars.  100 watts and small.  You can spend 2000 or more on a 7 watt toy.. Bare that in mind when shopping as well. 
Good Luck..
Joe Bonamassa
perennial Green Party Candidate for President.

Thanks Joe!!!!!

Im looking into the JMP-50's now... they can be had for some reasonable prices. I saw on the f-book that you got yourself an ebay account... are you gonna be selling any gear on there?

Logan

Interesting.  I like the merc mags.  Was there a particularly offensive merc model you noticed?  IE axioms, tone clone, radio spare, etc.  Thanks.

I think the early 80s JCM 800s are the bomb, and the Jubs too.  Pretty good investment also for resale.  I have made money on my old marshalls, which is my only profit in music to date lol

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Again its a taste thing.. I find Mercury magnetic transformers very cold sounding.. The sensation of "Im supposed to like these but why am I not knocked out?"  I prefer older transformers.. Musicman Fender Showman, or original plexi..  You will notice to difference straight away..
Joe B

Thanks for your expert input on this Joe.  Joe, have you had the pleasure of dealing with George Metropoulos over at Metro Amps?  From what I have heard first hand and over forums he builds the most authentic new Marshall clones.  He offers the Mercs as an upcharge option but almost everyone orders his trannies (Heyboyers wound to vintage specs I believe).  It's very cool that he voices them to whatever specific year/model/artist you are looking for.  For his kits he will PM or mail you instructions on how to mod them to say Hendrix/EVH/Clapton specs...VERY cool.  His forum support is also A++.  I cannot wait to build my own 100W Metro Superlead!

Joe, are there any "mods" that you like on your Superleads?  I don't know if you are into the mechanics of the amps (I bet you are) but what kind of caps, resistors, tubes, etc can get a "clone" closer to the real deal? Is there any specific year Plexi that you hold as the "holy grail" for you?  I cannot think of anyone besides you and Eric Johnson who get better tones out of them.  I would love to hear your input on this!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

I cannot think of anyone besides you and Eric Johnson who get better tones out of them.

Clapton Cream era, Hendrix, Gary Moore, Billy Gibbons, Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes occasionally with the Bros?!?  There tons of players besides just Joe and Eric Johnson that sound fantastic through SLP's.  It's a cranked Marshall lol...

Ben

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:
stratpaulguy86 wrote:

I cannot think of anyone besides you and Eric Johnson who get better tones out of them.

Clapton Cream era, Hendrix, Gary Moore, Billy Gibbons, Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes occasionally with the Bros?!?  There tons of players besides just Joe and Eric Johnson that sound fantastic through SLP's.  It's a cranked Marshall lol...

Ben

The key word is "better" wink .  To me, getting that huge violin type tone is a lot harder to get than the brighter edgy rock tone of those other guys you mentioned.  I love the tones all those guys get and some of them are my influences as well.  Matter of fact, my old man's JTM45 nails the Gibbons/Allman Brothers/Cream thing to a T....hence my eagerness to build one.  I was just wondering if there are any mods or specs that make some more "magic" than others.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

11 (edited by Partial2Marshall 2009-09-22 17:30:23)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Again its a taste thing.. I find Mercury magnetic transformers very cold sounding.. The sensation of "Im supposed to like these but why am I not knocked out?"  I prefer older transformers.. Musicman Fender Showman, or original plexi..  You will notice to difference straight away..
Joe B

Makes me wonder if aging and use is what makes a transformer sound more musical to you.  Things tend to sound a little tight and sterile when new maybe?  I have also heard that the paper bobbin transformer construction was a bit of a "lost art" like tube manufacturing.  Just like a new guitar, new wood, new cabinets, etc, new speakers, something happens when music is played through them and they age.  Until they are played, they are just another machine.

I really like the mercs in my low wattage amps (1/2 to 5 watts) but have the originals in my vintage stage rig.  Thought about "upgrading" but now I am rethinking that.  Nothing screws up good enough faster than the quest for perfection. Thanks for the input Joe.

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?