Topic: Tone Freak question....

I know that Joe is a tone freak - I noticed that he used a wireless guitar unit for RAH - I was wondering if it was just for that show or does he always use one?  Other artists who take great pride in their sound (Mayer,EVH, etc) have used cables.
Just an observation - it sounded outstanding so there are no complaint big_smile  The DVD listed Beyer Dynamics for Wireless - anyone have any experience with those units ?- I googled them - only showed up in Europe - not much over here in the states.  Anyone got a price on a unit?
Thanks
Michael

Re: Tone Freak question....

I think the only time he's not wireless is on acoustic numbers.  Electric guitars are always wireless.

3 (edited by Jimi75 2009-09-22 10:41:10)

That's a pretty good question. The Tonefreaks I know play high quality cables and avoid using wireless systems. Just recently saw John Petrucci of DreamTheater on stage with a 20m cable.

Would be great to get Joe's input here.

Really glad some one brought this up, I've been wondering about this too. Every supposedly good ear I know, always sticks their noses up  (ears sticking their noses up roll  ) at mere mention of wireless.
So I too was surprised  to see Joe 'Tonefreak' Bonamassa using such a system, but hey, he sounds unbelievable so how bad can it be?   

I'd love to go wireless, it would make my life  much more bearable. So if some one can recommend a good system, I'll check it out. If it's good enough for Joe........

Jimi75 wrote:

That's a pretty good question. The Tonefreaks I know play high quality cables and avoid using wireless systems. Just recently saw John Petrucci of DreamTheater on stage with a 20m cable.

Would be great to get Joe's input here.

20 meters? WOW!  John is one of the most disciplined players ever.  Much respect for the man.

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

When I used a wireless it added quite a bit of compression and gain to my sound.  It was a lot of fun walking around and playing from great distances, but in the end I prefer cables.  I'm guessing that some of the high dollar units don't muck with your tone near as much as the one I had.  I like that rehersal vid of Joe walking up and down RAH just killing his LP to "Sunshine of Your Love".  SWEET!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

He was not wireless at the last show I saw him at.  I believe that was 3 months ago or so.

I put that in backwards....  Acoustics are wireless and electrics are plugged in.  I'm a idiot forgive me.

Saw 2 shows in August, wireless for both. Didn't notice any big change in his overall tone.

I use  beyer dynamics wireless units for electric and acoustic guitar.  I tried several other companies and devices that had a negative impact on the sound.  Beyer makes a great one for guitar. I literally cant tell the difference between the cable and the wireless.  The bottom end and midrange are the same. There is no detectable compression.  My luck they will discontinue the model .. Just kidding.   I love being wireless on stage now.  I use one pack with a neutrik end cable.  Thats it. I imagine one day I will go way back and break out my stash of original curly cables.  But thats a few years away.. Its also predicated on if I can achieve the Clapton/ noel Redding Fro..circa 1968.
Joe B

11 (edited by mjmtri 2009-09-24 03:47:57)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I use  beyer dynamics wireless units for electric and acoustic guitar.  I tried several other companies and devices that had a negative impact on the sound.  Beyer makes a great one for guitar. I literally cant tell the difference between the cable and the wireless.  The bottom end and midrange are the same. There is no detectable compression.  My luck they will discontinue the model .. Just kidding.   I love being wireless on stage now.  I use one pack with a neutrik end cable.  Thats it. I imagine one day I will go way back and break out my stash of original curly cables.  But thats a few years away.. Its also predicated on if I can achieve the Clapton/ noel Redding Fro..circa 1968.
Joe B

Wow - Joe, thanks for responding to my post - one more question - on the Beyer website I can only find ONE guitar unit - the OPUS MARK II VF - is this the unit that you use??  I have never found a wireless that didn't change the tone.
Thanks again for responding - wonderful job at RAH - I love the DVD and I really love JBLP #265!! big_smile

Michael

ive read some pretty good things about the Line 6 XDR95. Its rack mounted which is something that im looking for in a wireless... anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

With all of the TONE talk, I'm wondering how much Joe has rolled tubes in the heads??
Hey Joe, What tubes are you currently using, and which have you tried? e.g. JJ, Mullard, Telefunken, etc?
Thanks
Rich Elliott

I started a thread a while ago asking Joe what tubes he primarily uses.  He mentioned that on tour he uses mostly JJ tubes for both Preamp and Power amp.  He mentioned that Two Rock was always nice enough to load the amps with NOS stuff when he got them.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.