1 (edited by Logo33 2009-09-29 03:56:30)

Topic: jcm 800

Found a jcm 800 for sale... its the '82 20th anniversary with the 8 knob EQ section (not sure on the numbers) and the white tolex. It needs to be re-tubed, and have a couple other things done to it... guy wants $1000 for it. its one of 250 worldwide... think its worth it??

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: jcm 800

Maybe.  I paid $650 for mine back 7 years ago.  It was the 50 WATT version.  If it needs all the tubes your easily looking at $1200 invested into this amp from the get go.  If its an 82 model chances are the PT is shot like mine was.  A cheap replace for me was $50 and $30 labor.  I honestly believe you could have a good collectors item on your hands but on the other hand your fastly aproching the price of a brand new JCM800.  They are really good  amps and after you get all thats wrong with them fixed you can get lots of great sounds out of them.  I personally would take the $1000 and buy a Ceriatone amp thats the same flavor.  They come hand wired which you won't get from marshall and from what people say on here sound amazing!

Leave it in the bank!

Keep it for when a Silver Jub or Slash head comes up. THEN NAIL IT!

100 watt or 50 watt?  The 81-83 vertical inputs are desirable to collectors, in white more so.  I am always more worried about the Caps more than the OT/PT in older amps (if it functions).  They tend to get leaky after a while and that can lead to transformer damage.  Have you heard it?  It would make you money in the long run.

PS.  paid $1100 for my '81 2203 4 yrs ago.  worth every cent.

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

its a 50 watt. I'm also considering a plexi... but because of my financial situation, I have to be 100% sure of the gear I'm buying... but lance Lopez gave me some simple math lastnight.... "heres some simple algebra:
Marshall+Fender+Strat(2)+TS9x2=Tone". I want something that will be thick and creamy, but also have the ability to scream.

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

It appears to be one on G Base white full stack for 1700 dollars thats not bad either.  The thing with any vintage marshall or any amp for that matter is... How does it sound. 
Good Luck
Joe B

7 (edited by Partial2Marshall 2009-09-30 00:56:41)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

It appears to be one on G Base white full stack for 1700 dollars thats not bad either.  The thing with any vintage marshall or any amp for that matter is... How does it sound. 
Good Luck
Joe B

It's hard to find good gear locally sometimes (Flagstaff Az selection quite limited),  and I have been extremely fortunate with my internet purchases buying sight unheard/played with respected sellers.  But Joe's right, if you have an opportunity to play it, by all means do so.  If you know an amp tech, take them with you, or bring it to them pre purchase. GBase and craigslist are great tools.  Always weirded me out going to someone's house whom I don't know with a wad o bills though.  While Paypal is so cold and impersonable.  roll

Wait a minute.... what's the semi retired gear junkie doing surfin Gbase.  big_smile

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Joe-
you are the man. Nuff said. I'll let everyone know what I decide to do. Untill then the hiwatt should be alright.

Logan