1 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-09-30 16:47:10)

Topic: no reverb .... time for new tubes?

Would a bad preamp tube keep my reverb from working? One of the preamp tubes is assigned to the reverb. No fuses are blown, I can play it - just no reverb. My amp doesn't move much and never gets banged around or abused.

Rivera R55-112 55watt combo amp with 1 12"Celestion G12-85 8ohm
2 EL43's and 5 12AX7A's

This is the first problem I've ever had with this amp since I got it in 2002. Retubed it last in 2004.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: no reverb .... time for new tubes?

Could be, one of your tubes drives your reverb.  Also check to see the jacks haven't wiggled out.

Ben

Could also be the reverb unit itself.

Let me predicate this with..  I am the reverb equivalent to the  Bermuda triangle.  Reverbs  at point of purchase that work with perfection have a mysterious way of not working 24 to 48 hours after being in my possession.  I have found three things that are the most  common problems with reverb.  One- Reverb tank.  (thats a cheap fix) Two- the reverb transformer ( not such a cheap fix) and Three- some sort of resistor internally in the amp. ( moderately cheap but not a DIY job) 
      A quick story.  I recently purchased a Boogie Mark 2 1985 model.  Reverb working was fine in the store.  I get the amp home and  within 5 minutes the reverb doesn't work.  ( Refer to above)  My solution wasn't to take it to my tech or  order a new tank or even pray to the ancient greek god of reverberation.  It was simply to get one of my Boss REV-5's and plug it in to the effects loop.  It sounds great and even I cant kill them.. 
Good Luck achieving surf again!!!
Joe B

Great story Joe.  My "Bermuda Triangle" if you will is guitar strings.  My hands do sweat some but seriously, I can and will kill a fresh set in a few hours.  It sucks because my dad has some killer guitars that I am always dying to play but I kill his strings...it's not fair!  His hands don't sweat, so he gets to play my guitars AND his. roll

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

6 (edited by vim 2009-10-01 14:27:43)

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Great story Joe.  My "Bermuda Triangle" if you will is guitar strings.  My hands do sweat some but seriously, I can and will kill a fresh set in a few hours.  It sucks because my dad has some killer guitars that I am always dying to play but I kill his strings...it's not fair!  His hands don't sweat, so he gets to play my guitars AND his. roll

OK, with limited english vocubalary and thus the risk of offending someone, I should avoid humour on you behalf now, but I cant help commenting that you might do well considering not scratching your *** while playing. Or at least wash hands after doing so...
I've also noticed in your videos, that you are playing barefooted... Acid warning? tongue

Sorry - that was a cheap one, but I couldn't help myself.

My Bermuda Triangle is guitar cords, so I should probably just shut it... hmm

cool.

I'm going to be upgrading the speaker, putting in a weber beam blocker and retubbing it completely so I'll probably have it fixed during this process. Taking out the GT12-85 and putting in an Eminence Governor (reviews say it smokes a vintage 30 so we'll see) and putting in JJ's into it for tubes instead of the "winged C" Svetlanas w/groove preamp tubes.

will post when complete

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

8 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-10-08 03:25:25)

I just swapped around my preamp tubes... nothing doing. I think Joe might be on to something about the one of the three things that could be wrong with it.

I just talked to Paul Jr. at Rivera and he said its 99.99999% certain that the 3-spring reverb in the reverb tank is shot. What's cool is for a little bit more money I can upgrade to a longer 6-spring reverb that has more of a gradual come on than the shorter 3 spring reverb. Ordering it tomorrow. Glad it is something I can do myself cool

Not that it helps, but I love my Emminence speakers.  You?

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms