1 (edited by Jimi_lp 2009-10-16 19:12:20)

Topic: Joe's Les Paul action

Anyone know what height the action on Joe's les pauls is set to?
(Joe if you read this maybe you could say, being the most reliable source and all lol )

Been getting a lot of fret buzz on the low E (or Eb in my case, as I tune a half step down) had to raise the action and it's still buzzing a tad but the main problem is the difficulty of playing. I have tried adjusting the truss rod, no help either.
It seems to be just the E, the others have very very minor buzz.
I use 11-48s.

It's fine with a lot of gain as it's covered up, but with clean sounds it's obvious. So given that Joe uses a lot of clean sounds this is a good source to find out a way about this.
I just can't figure this one out. I do know most fixes on guitars, this one just won't shift without the really high action.

Re: Joe's Les Paul action

My friend gets a great Joe 'sound' and is an excellent player. His strings are set very high.

Jimi_lp wrote:

Anyone know what height the action on Joe's les pauls is set to?
(Joe if you

read this maybe you could say, being the most reliable source and all lol )

Been getting a lot of fret buzz on the low E (or Eb in my case, as I tune a half step down) had to raise the action and it's still buzzing a tad but the main problem is the difficulty of playing. I have tried adjusting the truss rod, no help either.
It seems to be just the E, the others have very very minor buzz.
I use 11-48s.

It's fine with a lot of gain as it's covered up, but with clean sounds it's obvious. So given that Joe uses a lot of clean sounds this is a good source to find out a way about this.
I just can't figure this one out. I do know most fixes on guitars, this one just won't shift without the really high action.

I remember hearing that liking a low action is popular among beginners and a med/high action is what the pros do. Reason being is the shape of string vibrations when plucked and lower actions do not let the sting fully vibrate - or at least it does better on a higher action. Other reasons may include being able to push down fretted notes just as easy because of the matured ability and string bending made easier because other strings are not as much in the way.

I still like mine pretty low. But I do notice a difference in sound with a higher action.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I thought I read that he likes it high because he like the guitar to fight him just a little bit.

Joe uses a heavier than normal (10 Ga.) string 11's or 12's (12-52 on acoustics for sure) But he stated that he likes a higher action, but because he strings around the Les Paul tailpiece backward, it decreases the angle between the tailpiece and the bridge and therefore lowers the overall tension of the strings and they "feel" like they are 10's, but the heavier gauge strings give better sustain and deeper tone; and Joe IS the master of the best guitar tone eve!:cool:

Here is the low down on the set up..

11-52's Ernie Ball strings for both electric and acoustic.

Action high on the Les Pauls.. I like the fight with high action.. Like Tether ball..

Acoustics , normal action and 11-52 strings.. I cant compete with the bluegrass guys...

Normally when guys tell me they use 12's or 13's on Electric I tell them string gauge is not a test of manly hood and usually hand them a bottle of Aleve or Mortrin..  If you are comfortable with them its great.. but beware of the long term affects..
Enjoy
Joe B

I can't find a set of Ernie Ball that has a .011 and .052 in the same set, the Power Slinky's are .011-.048 and the Skinny Top- Heavy Bottom slinky sets are .010-.052. Wonder what the gauges are of the strings in between? Drat...

Possibly the Electric strings are the same gauges as the Ernie Ball Super Slinky Acoustic set?

Thats why I wus out and string mine with .009 for strats and .010's for gibsons.  I tried .011's on a les paul but I couldn't tell that the string tention was different.  I like over bending and just couldn't do what I like with them. hmm thats why I'm not Joe Bonamassa, that and I don't practice a third of what he does!

misterlee wrote:

I can't find a set of Ernie Ball that has a .011 and .052 in the same set, the Power Slinky's are .011-.048 and the Skinny Top- Heavy Bottom slinky sets are .010-.052. Wonder what the gauges are of the strings in between? Drat...

Possibly the Electric strings are the same gauges as the Ernie Ball Super Slinky Acoustic set?

I have a set of beefy slinky strings which are 11-54 closest I have seen, Is Joe using some sort of hybrid set?

Get a pro look at it the neck could be slightly twisted, you might have a slight high fret or the neck might need it's truss rod adjusting. Setting string height should go by what's comfortable for you not off what other people do. All you will do is make the guitar not as easy to play. If it's real high now I'd deffo take it to be looked at.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Action high on the Les Pauls.. I like the fight with high action.. Like Tether ball..

Acoustics , normal action and 11-52 strings.. I cant compete with the bluegrass guys...

Normally when guys tell me they use 12's or 13's on Electric I tell them string gauge is not a test of manly hood and usually hand them a bottle of Aleve or Mortrin..  If you are comfortable with them its great.. but beware of the long term affects..
Enjoy
Joe B

So you have ditched dean markley now? I tried a set of Dean Markley 11-52 and really liked them, however they aren't readily available around here so I've tried to find a couple of 11-52s Ernies but failed... So do you special order them or something?

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Enjoy
Joe B

Thanks Joe.
I could never use 12s, but I could never go back down to 10s. When trying anyone else's guitar 10s just feel strange, I've got a friend that uses 9s and god, I bend unintentionally with those.

I've put the action a tad higher, played for about an hour and managed to get used to it. It's actually given me a clearer tone, the strings sound fresher. Still have a bit of a buzz on the low E but it's far from what it was and it's only if I really belt the strings, when playing clean I don't pick as hard as when dirty anyway.

Joe Bonamassa

11-52's Ernie Ball strings for both electric and acoustic

Are those ernie ball's with a wound G string?

The EB Light Gauge Nickel Wound set is the only one I see with .011-.052. The G is wound, though.

thanks wharris,

I allready bought 2sets of them without notice of the wound g string, it's going to be weird ben i'm bending that one smile

They have another set without the wound G.  I highly doubt Joes electrics have a wound G, hes a blues player not a jazz player.  Have you looked for a set called "Not Even Slinky"??? Got no clue for the acoustics though.  I would bet though they are not even remotely nickel coated strings for that acoustic.  Try the Earth wrap EB strings.

Due to the amount of strings that Joe probably goes through, he may buy individual strings in bulk therefore being able to choose the gauge he wants for each and every string, making his own custom set of whatever he wants. The strings are available individually on the Ernie Ball website.

cmadragon wrote:

Due to the amount of strings that Joe probably goes through, he may buy individual strings in bulk therefore being able to choose the gauge he wants for each and every string, making his own custom set of whatever he wants. The strings are available individually on the Ernie Ball website.

Good point.