Topic: Class 5 Marshall Amp

Hey guys,

Just wondering your thoughts on the Marshall Class 5 Amp?  Saw a youtube video of Joe playing one, well, about 4 it looked like!  smile  Was thinking about getting one.  What are your thoughts on the amp?

Re: Class 5 Marshall Amp

Having trouble finding it for sale. Looked at guitar center and couldn't find em. sweetwater, samash, and others have it...

I'm unsure if it's worth the money? for example for a lot less you could get an epiphone valve junior. It's not a "marshall" but then again it would be a small wattage tube amp. Fender also has a champion 600 that's supposed to be good too.

I'd really like one, but at the same time, i'm reluctant to spend $400 on a 5 watt amp. And I've never played through one.

-Nic

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I totally agree!  I want something that would get somewhere close to JB's sound, I know I will never get it unless I buy his exact stuff and then I still wont get it because I don't play like him.  But I would like to find a good amp, Marshall or not, that would be in my price range that would get some good sounds.

I played one very briefly in a Music store. Sounded boxy and I didn't like it. I was in a hurry, though, so this may not be a fair judgment. You best try one for yourself.

I haven't tried it by myself yet, but I read some reviews on a french forum. They all say it's a great little amp, worth its price. They also say it gets better with time (and playing, of course).

My guitar store is supposed to call me when they receive it, but it's been a month and I'm still waiting. I hope to try it soon, it looks like a mini-Bluesbreaker. I'm sure my wallet won't agree... roll

Follow me on Twitter, join me on Facebook

Tried a couple in shops and ended up ordering one and selling my Blackstar HT-5H.
Sounded great - kinda Bluesbreaker light, as the design implies. Way better than the Epi.
Haven't got it home yet, so it's too early too say if this is a keeper.

adamym wrote:

I totally agree!  I want something that would get somewhere close to JB's sound, I know I will never get it unless I buy his exact stuff...

Not true man, you can get very close with a lot of different alternatives.  I was messing around the other day with my Super Reverb, Les Paul, Fulldrive 2, and Line 6 DL4...just NAILED the "Stop" tone.  Yes the technique and chops help but you surely don't need $40,000 worth of gear to get the tone.  I'm also pretty sure that you wouldn't buy Joe's exact rig if you had that kind of money to spend either.  Even being a huge Joe fan myself, I know I wouldn't.  Joe greatly admires Eric Johnson but he's not gigging with 2 Superleads, echoplexes, a tube driver, 2 Twin Reverbs w/ chorus delay and verb etc... That vid of Joe rocking on the Class 5 should be proof enough, just a couple amps, a delay pedal, and likely a tubescreamer.  Joe still sounds like Joe. 

Honestly the Class 5 would be an excellent affordable low-wattage platform to build a JB like tone from.  Some other alternatives are the Fender Blues Jr. or HRD amps.  I bet a Princeton RI (or Blues Jr.) and Class 5 in stereo would be a killer little "mini Bonamassa" rig!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Some other alternatives are the Fender Blues Jr.

Now that's an amp I was eyeing for a while now for a cheap, just grab-and-go amp. Hard to believe but I never had the chance to play one. What's the verdict?

stratpaulguy86

I agree with you.  I wouldn't spend the money either.  Just having a hard time trying to find something close that might also fit my budget.  I have a princeton chorus amp now.  I just didn't know if the Class 5 would be worth buying to use as a lead amp.  I am sure that its a good amp for the price...just not sure waht I need to get the sound I want.  I know that on the video that Joe plays he has like 3 or 4 it looks like.  I'm thinking getting the Class 5 or another small marshall and having an a/b switch.  Is that a good idea?  I like the Fender PC amp for my strats, but it doesn't give quite the crunch with my Les Paul.  Right now I am using a digitech RP150 to get a marshall amp sound, and its ok, but I think an actual Marshall is the way to go.

Bluesbreaker wrote:
stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Some other alternatives are the Fender Blues Jr.

Now that's an amp I was eyeing for a while now for a cheap, just grab-and-go amp. Hard to believe but I never had the chance to play one. What's the verdict?

I don't know what there's not to like, the Blues Jr. has a very decent sound.  It's master volume works well, the "Fat" boost is really really good sounding (don't know why Fender never added that idea to say a Twin or Deluxe), the reverb is more than passable, and it gets pretty overdriven when cranked.  It was my first tube amp and what got me started down the road I'm on today.  Had I bought that Line 6 Spider that I wanted when I was a kid I would probably be posting on a Metallica forum or something lol

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

adamym wrote:

stratpaulguy86

I agree with you.  I wouldn't spend the money either.  Just having a hard time trying to find something close that might also fit my budget.  I have a princeton chorus amp now.  I just didn't know if the Class 5 would be worth buying to use as a lead amp.  I am sure that its a good amp for the price...just not sure waht I need to get the sound I want.  I know that on the video that Joe plays he has like 3 or 4 it looks like.  I'm thinking getting the Class 5 or another small marshall and having an a/b switch.  Is that a good idea?  I like the Fender PC amp for my strats, but it doesn't give quite the crunch with my Les Paul.  Right now I am using a digitech RP150 to get a marshall amp sound, and its ok, but I think an actual Marshall is the way to go.

I totally understand man everyone's budget for gear is different.  I just don't want you to lose hope and think you need big $$$ to get the tone of the legends.  There are a lot of sleeper amps, pedals, and guitars that you can get on the cheap.  I'm a firm believer in the early Silverface era Fenders and they are readily available at great prices.  Old '60s Blackface Fender heads can be had cheap STILL, which I don't get.  Joe cut a large portion of his new album on a few old Fender amps.  The old Traynors, Sovteck Migs, Laney Pro Tube Leads, Blackface/Silverface Bassmans, etc are GREAT Marshall Plexi alternatives.  You just have to know what to look for.

For a small, low wattage, but really NICE Marshall style combo I would try to find a Fargen Mini Plex MK1 (not Mark 2 more gain and too expensive) on the cheap.  You can find them on Ebay or The Gear Page for around $800 which IMO is a steal for what you get.  You can put whatever tubes in them to increase or decrease wattage and tonality.  It's a 1x12 amp that comes with an Eminence Red Fang ($150 Speaker).  12 managable watts...

A lot of stuff is out there for a LOT of money... and is it really worth it?
What to nail someone elses sound? To have the 'next best thing?'
Even if you are not a professional musician?

I even look at myself sometimes and think "what the heck am I doing?" spending so much money on this stuff?
...and then the conscious replies..."it's better to spend it on this than drugs, booze, hookers, and guns."
No offense to my gun collection cool

I guess it's part of the fun, it makes us happy. That and the never ending quest for that tone we hear in our head that seems to be constantly changing. Money is just a number and satisfaction is invaluable.

I digress.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I actually really like the class 5..  I have one of the first three ever built and use it a lot at home/ dressing room / ect///////.  It sounds straight away like a mini bluesbreaker combo. It has the same voicing and darkness to it.  I was really impressed.  Is it THOR the giant uber rig from a planet far away? no.. Its 5 watts. Now if you link 8 of em up like I did at Ronnie Scotts.. Yeah you ll get there.   It is a good 5 watts with lots of headroom. You guys know me by now I would never say it if I didnt think it was good.  $400 is a good price for it too..  its built in the UK. Anyway my two cents..
Joe B

14 (edited by vim 2009-11-02 21:38:30)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I actually really like the class 5..  I have one of the first three ever built and use it a lot at home/ dressing room / ect///////.  It sounds straight away like a mini bluesbreaker combo. It has the same voicing and darkness to it.  I was really impressed.  Is it THOR the giant uber rig from a planet far away? no.. Its 5 watts. Now if you link 8 of em up like I did at Ronnie Scotts.. Yeah you ll get there.   It is a good 5 watts with lots of headroom. You guys know me by now I would never say it if I didnt think it was good.  $400 is a good price for it too..  its built in the UK. Anyway my two cents..
Joe B

I've gotten mine now, and that's my impression exactly - it's a mini BB.
Come friday, and I'll start tweaking and replacing tubes. I expect this amp to stay for a while.
But settings Joe, your settings!!! You had to know someone would ask... wink

Joe,

Thanks for the help!  I got a chance to meet you when you were in Indianapolis!  Thanks again for taking the time out to talk to your fans.  I have a Fender Princeton Chorus Amp but have wanted a tube amp for some time now.  I did some research and saw that you used them at Ronnie Scott's.  I did also notice that you had them strung together, which I figured would be the case.  I haven't had a chance to try one yet, hoping to soon.  I've been hooked on them since I saw that you were at the showcase playing them and the sound was incredible!  How does one amp sound by itself?  I am thinking of an A/B switch and using the Fender for the clean chorus and using the Marshall for the Gritty sound.  What are the settings you used?  And, can I do something to where both amps will be on together so I can have the reverb, or do I need a reverb pedal for the Marshall?

Thanks again!

vim wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Come friday, and I'll start tweaking and replacing tubes. I expect this amp to stay for a while.

Don't know if this helps you but Joe posted on 01/08/09:

Re: Marshall Class 5 - Just got paid!

I really love the new class 5.. they sound like mini bluesbreaker combos..  very warm.. What we did for Ronnie Scotts was a bit of a Brian May thing..  Wired a bunch together and used a bit of the monitor for a supplement.   I run the volume at 4 treble 3 mid 6 and bass 10.. Having a 10 inch speaker helps the bottom end..  I believe they start production like now..  Those were every one in existence for the exception of the one I carry for the dressing room..  Thanks to Paul Marshall and everybody who helped make Ronnie Scotts a super cool event for us...'

'Try as you might to keep a lid on a good time, you can't do it. When people want to have a good time....' - Billy Gibbons

BBJ wrote:
vim wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Don't know if this helps you but Joe posted on 01/08/09:

Re: Marshall Class 5 - Just got paid!

I really love the new class 5.. they sound like mini bluesbreaker combos..  very warm.. What we did for Ronnie Scotts was a bit of a Brian May thing..  Wired a bunch together and used a bit of the monitor for a supplement.   I run the volume at 4 treble 3 mid 6 and bass 10.. Having a 10 inch speaker helps the bottom end..  I believe they start production like now..  Those were every one in existence for the exception of the one I carry for the dressing room..  Thanks to Paul Marshall and everybody who helped make Ronnie Scotts a super cool event for us...'

Great, thanks. I too found that being one setting that works great. Also volume at 3 and all tonecontrols on 10, using pedals for overdrive. Volume on more than 6 makes the Class 5 sound extremely muddy.

Changed tubes yesterday and got two pleasant surprises:

1) The EL 84 labelled Marshall also is labelled JJ, not the chinese or Sovtek crap I expected. I bought some JJ tubes while I waited for the amp, and could have saved the money.

2) The Marshall lebelled ECC83 tubes looks very much like the Sovtek and Chinese no-name tubes I had laying around (there were two different ECC83 tubes, both labelled Marshall).  I replaced them with JJ's and boy did that make a difference!
A lot less muddy bass and more transparent, crisp sounding. Not a shocking experience offcourse, but it helped more than I would have expected.

Ran the C5 through a closed back  1x12 G12-65 cab, and that offcourse tightened things up quite a bit. The combo 1x10 speaker is not at all bad though.