Topic: Why Joe doesn't play P90 guitars?

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering today why Joe didn't play P90 guitar too much ...

I mean i am a new fan and i never saw him with a gibson equiped with P90 so far.

Do you know why??

I just feel that it would fit so well his playing.

Well you surely have the answer.

JBLP #214 very proud owner smile

Re: Why Joe doesn't play P90 guitars?

Could be varies reasons, could just be he doesn't like P90s too much.

Lets just hope Joe chimes in, best source afterall smile

3 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-11-11 17:04:50)

I'm unsure why Joe doensn't but I did hear this story about Santana and PRS:

In the beginning, Carlos Santana used to play strats with humbuckers in them. Paul Reed Smith targeted Santana because of it. But when Paul Reed Smith was trying to get Santana to start playing PRS, the prototype Paul wanted Santana to use on stage had P-90's in it and not humbuckers. From what I read, the P-90's were really hot, but buzzy and didn't go well with all of Santana's effects. Santana played the PRS prototype for only a song or two and then switched back to his humbucker filled strat.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

amused wrote:

Hi everybody,

I mean i am a new fan and i never saw him with a gibson equiped with P90 so far.

Do you know why??

How about this? wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFe1VIvpoXs

It's kind of uncomfortable to see them trying to push the PRS guitar on him.  I'm glad he stuck with the Les Paul, it sounded amazing!  P90 or Humbucker he'll still sound like him.

Here's my theory why Joe doesn't play more P90 equiped  guitars:  Joe can get a humbucker-like sound from them but doesn't want the noise that is associated with them.  He plays with a lot of dynamics, often rolling the volume down on the guitar to get quieter clean sounds.  If the guitar was humming badly it wouldn't be desirable.  I personally think P90s sound great but I can see why a lot of guys who play on "10" most of the time love them.  They're great for loud rock and roll that's for sure!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
amused wrote:

Hi everybody,

Do you know why??

How about this? wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFe1VIvpoXs

It's kind of uncomfortable to see them trying to push the PRS guitar on him.  I'm glad he stuck with the Les Paul, it sounded amazing!  P90 or Humbucker he'll still sound like him.

Here's my theory why Joe doesn't play more P90 equiped  guitars:  Joe can get a humbucker-like sound from them but doesn't want the noise that is associated with them.  He plays with a lot of dynamics, often rolling the volume down on the guitar to get quieter clean sounds.  If the guitar was humming badly it wouldn't be desirable.  I personally think P90s sound great but I can see why a lot of guys who play on "10" most of the time love them.  They're great for loud rock and roll that's for sure!

**## what happened there? Joe was ambushed by the prs! lol why didnt they just ask him before?

thanks for the replies, very funny video hehe ... love how P90 sounds for blues, he should play some of his songswith them, who matters the hummmm ???

Doesn't that LesPaul have p90s in it?  The one Joe is playing?

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

It definitely looks like it does.

I really wanna know the answer to this, as im in the process ( a long one) of choosing new pickups and i like mighty orq's p90 guitar.

bigjeffjones wrote:

Doesn't that LesPaul have p90s in it?  The one Joe is playing?

hmm  i think you're right

HRJ wrote:

I really wanna know the answer to this, as im in the process ( a long one) of choosing new pickups and i like mighty orq's p90 guitar.

Pick what works for YOU bro.  It's not always about what our favorite guitarists like.  I know a lot of guys that do not care for P90s...to me they are some of the most toneful, soulful, and rocking pickups out there!  They fit very nicely between a single coil and humbucker tonewise, about 80% humbucker/20 % single coil IMO.  I'm surprised that I'm still without a guitar that has P90s because I like them so much...maybe I'll stumble across a nice LP Special or SG Special soon cool

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
HRJ wrote:

Pick what works for YOU bro.  It's not always about what our favorite guitarists like.  I know a lot of guys that do not care for P90s...to me they are some of the most toneful, soulful, and rocking pickups out there!  They fit very nicely between a single coil and humbucker tonewise, about 80% humbucker/20 % single coil IMO.  I'm surprised that I'm still without a guitar that has P90s because I like them so much...maybe I'll stumble across a nice LP Special or SG Special soon cool

EXACTLY!  I'm thinking back to Mike Bloomfield (who once caused my brother Bob to request a beer bottle to break all of his own fingers with) and Luther Allison... LPs w/P90s...

MuchLove
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

while we're on the subject are humbucker sized p 90s as good as normal ones.? For example i love the sound of the bare knuckle pickups p 90s but will the humbucker sized one (ie the mississippi queen ) sound as good?

I am actually not a fan of p-90 pickups.  I find them to be somewhat of a gray area for me.  Too bright for the thick human voice tone, too dark to twang honestly.  I have a few guitars with them but never reach for them honestly.. I have a old goldtop that is good.. But honestly they are the best pair of p-90's I have heard.  I payed all my mowing lawn money for that one 12 years ago.  I dig Gibson Mini Humbuckers in the Firebirds and of course the Paf thing. 
Joe B

Well there ya go. 

Thanks Joe.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I am actually not a fan of p-90 pickups.  I find them to be somewhat of a gray area for me.  Too bright for the thick human voice tone, too dark to twang honestly.  I have a few guitars with them but never reach for them honestly.. I have a old goldtop that is good.. But honestly they are the pair of p-90's I have heard.  I payed all my mowing lawn money for that one 12 years ago.  I dig Gibson Mini Humbuckers in the Firebirds and of course the Paf thing. 
Joe B

God I would have to mow like 7,000 yards to afford an orginal 50's Goldtop!  If I worked every day it would only take like 20 years! lol

Joe, do you notice a big difference between a maple-capped Les Paul Standard w/ P90s and a solid mahogany Les Paul Jr?  My dad built a Les Paul Jr and its a SUPER fat sounding guitar.  I almost wish it had more brightness really...thanks for the feedback!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I am actually not a fan of p-90 pickups.  I find them to be somewhat of a gray area for me.  Too bright for the thick human voice tone, too dark to twang honestly.  I have a few guitars with them but never reach for them honestly.. I have a old goldtop that is good.. But honestly they are the best pair of p-90's I have heard.  I payed all my mowing lawn money for that one 12 years ago.  I dig Gibson Mini Humbuckers in the Firebirds and of course the Paf thing. 
Joe B

I just spent £180 on a pair of bare knuckle p-90s to put in my epiphone sheraton 2 so i was hoping for a slightly better endorsement from Joe lol

I'll let you know how it goes.

P90 are just great for some kind of blues sounds, don't listen to this forum guy Joe Bonamassa, he knows nothing about what we're talking about ahahhahaha tongue

Well thanks Joe for answering the thread, I was also hoping to see you play a P90 guitar in the future but you know, when you get to mature more, you will get to it ahhaha

Sorry i can't stop being silly ... (btw i am also 32 big_smile)