Topic: Marshall DSL or TSL or 1959hw

Hi all.

Been looking at the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 and TSL aswell as the more expensive 1959HW for a little while and wanted to see if anyone had any points of advice on them.  I know Joe uses a pair of DSL's if he has to and have read great reviews on it.  Is the TSL the same but with just another channel.  Anyone tried any of the Marshall Handwired stuff.

I play in a covers band so need to be able to produce a variety of sounds but at the same time I want to start building my own sound.  I'm also a bit worried that these amps may be too loud for the venues I play in.  I play mostly at small to medium size pubs and bars most of the time.

I love the sounds of a massive variety of guitarists (Bonamassa, Clapton (Modern tone), Brad Paisley, Brent Mason, Larry Carlton and Robben Ford to name a few).  In my head I have a weird mix of these sounds going on, is it possible to get that sound from an amp??

Any other suggestions other than the Marshalls?  I was pretty much set on getting a Cornford MK50 HII but Cornford are having problems getting them made and as of yet don't know when production will begin again.

Thanks

Re: Marshall DSL or TSL or 1959hw

I think the 1959HW is a bit over priced.  You could get a Ceriatone Hand wired plexi thats as good as that amp for $1000.

If i'm not mistaken, the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 is the amp used by GM when playing live.
I really don't know if you can reach to a more bonamassa sound but i'm pretty sure that they sound nice.

GM?  Gov't Mule?  Warren Haynes?  Or is that another band?  Warren used one with the Allman Brothers Band, but not with Gov't Mule.  Oh and thats the 1959HW that he used.

Jeff Beck uses a DSL 100

Richie Sambora's Best tone comes out of one as well.
He switches amps a lot, but always goes back to his DSL

Was general consensus a while back, that the DSL sounded
more organic then the TSL, the TSL sounded more processed

I like the DSL over a TSL as well

I own a DSL 100
And you can get a lot more gain, and variety out of the box, without pedals.
Quite a  few options on the DLS
There's a Deep Switch, a Tone Shift switch, lead 1, lead 2, clean/crunch

Great amp,

AD3THREE wrote:

GM?  Gov't Mule?  Warren Haynes?  Or is that another band?  Warren used one with the Allman Brothers Band, but not with Gov't Mule.  Oh and thats the 1959HW that he used.

gary moore.

haynes used the handwired? didn't know.

A few days ago I tried the JVM 205H, 50 watts and it's fantastic, you should involve it as an alternative. And - in opposite to a plexi and others - you can play it as quiet - and as loud - as you want to! Fantastic clean sound, the first Marshall amp which does not only include a marshall clean sound, but also a fenderish clean channel! crunch and overdrive is just as it should be for a Marshall amp, the last channel-preset should be used for Hard Rock/Metal.
Two master volumes (changeable via button), serial/parallel Fx-Loop - changeable, 4 settings saveable for use with the footswitch, controllable using MIDI etc.

Firstly I wanted a Vintage Modern but w/o a master volume it's pretty hard to play in your bedroom, next I was going to buy a DSL50 ('only' 2 channels, only serial fx-loop), now I'll buy a 205H which has not really 2 channels as described - but 6. Perfect amp in my opinion...

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

When I bought my DSL100 the JVM amplifiers were not available yet.  IMO the JVM is probably the best sounding of all the multi-channel modern Marshalls.  If I had to do it all over again I would get the JVM.  I love the tone of my DSL100 too, but it's no where near as flexable as the JVM's.  Now as far as the 1959HW amps go...the general consensous is that they are very good sounding but are overpriced.  Also, other amps such as Germino, Metro, Soultone, Ceriatone, Top Hat, Roccaforte, Budda, Bogner, etc are probably made with better components and will often cost you less!

If you are going for authentic Marshall Superlead, I think Germino and Metro are by far the closest.  I just pulled the trigger on a 100 watt Metro Superlead and I'll be able to hopefully do some reviews soon.  I cannot wait!

Lastly, I was considering your tone influences and there may be other amps that would fit nicely for what you are after.  You are mentioning amps like the Cornford MKII $$$$$ and Marshall 1959HW $$$$$ I'm guessing you have a pretty nice wad of cash to spend.  I personally would check out the Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme.  They can be had used for about what you are looking to spend.  They are very gig worthy, tough, well built, and sound amazing.  Essentially you have a pristine clean, clean + mid boost, mild gain, gain+mid boost, and 2 totally seperate EQs!  For the Brad Paisley/Brent Mason/cleaner Robben Ford/Larry Carlton stuff the clean or clean + mid boost would be perfect.  For the higher gain rockin' LC/RF, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, whatever the overdrive channel can handle that in spades. cool

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

mickieblue wrote:

Hi all.

Been looking at the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 and TSL aswell as the more expensive 1959HW for a little while and wanted to see if anyone had any points of advice on them.  I know Joe uses a pair of DSL's if he has to and have read great reviews on it.  Is the TSL the same but with just another channel.  Anyone tried any of the Marshall Handwired stuff.

I play in a covers band so need to be able to produce a variety of sounds but at the same time I want to start building my own sound.  I'm also a bit worried that these amps may be too loud for the venues I play in.  I play mostly at small to medium size pubs and bars most of the time.

I love the sounds of a massive variety of guitarists (Bonamassa, Clapton (Modern tone), Brad Paisley, Brent Mason, Larry Carlton and Robben Ford to name a few).  In my head I have a weird mix of these sounds going on, is it possible to get that sound from an amp??

Any other suggestions other than the Marshalls?  I was pretty much set on getting a Cornford MK50 HII but Cornford are having problems getting them made and as of yet don't know when production will begin again.

Thanks

i too play in a covers band, ranging from rock/pop/indie, classic, modern and a few in between. don't know if your the same, but do you find it difficult to get something that works well for most songs? i try and work to getting the most range out of very little gear.
recently, we've lost our rhythm guitar player. this means working a bit harder to fill out the sound and not leave too much of a hole when i take lead breaks. my fender blues deluxe is great if you want to use pedals to get your sound, but this does have drawbacks. higher gain sounds lack the low end and mid range that a marshall type amp would bring naturally. 

i plan to sell or trade my blues deluxe and get a DSL or something. i'd like a vintage modern, don't mind setting it for a dirty clean sound and then kicking it with my LBP-1 clone or something.

Fender 60's Strat>Fulltone OCD V4>>TC Electronics Polytune>Orange Dual Terror>Torres 2x10 Cab(with a vintage 30 and a greenback)

Tripod wrote:

If i'm not mistaken, the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 is the amp used by GM when playing live.
I really don't know if you can reach to a more bonamassa sound but i'm pretty sure that they sound nice.

Gary Moore is using 1959s at the moment.

Just take a look at this: http://www.marshallamps.de/scene/interv … ymmain.htm

His used amps may sound great, but most of them have to be played really loud. The JVM is most flexible and yeah, he can even create Moorish sounds.

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

i too play in a covers band, ranging from rock/pop/indie, classic, modern and a few in between. don't know if your the same, but do you find it difficult to get something that works well for most songs? i try and work to getting the most range out of very little gear.

I currently use a Pod XT live for the covers band which I found works really well as I have hundreds of sounds at my feet but to be honest I only use about 5 patches at the most.  This is why i'm trying to get away from the modelled sounds and get a proper amp. 

A friend has put the Marshall Bluesbreaker 62 into the mix, he thought Joe uses it as a rehearsal amp?? Anyone know if that is true?? 

I was only looking at the Cornfords and Marshall Handwired as a possible option but they are a lot of ££££.  Too much for me to be honest as I have just got engaged and the future wife would know kill me if I did spend £2000/3000 on an amp!:P One day.  In England i can get a new Bluesbreaker for £1069 which is more in my price range now.  Any other suggestions now I have narrowed the price down??

My suggestion would be is to get two amps.. Combos.. Like a DSL 1x12 and like a Bluesbreaker or one of the handwired 18watt combos. This way you get the natural overdrive articulation thing and a more front end preamp from the DSL. That will certainly cover your bases and be plenty loud for medium size venues.  I do suggest making or buying a baffle of some sort.  Clearsonic in Ohio will sort you out.  I get my shields from Jim M  who is the Dumble of Baffle builders  LOL..
hope that helps.
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

My suggestion would be is to get two amps.. Combos.. Like a DSL 1x12 and like a Bluesbreaker or one of the handwired 18watt combos. This way you get the natural overdrive articulation thing and a more front end preamp from the DSL. That will certainly cover your bases and be plenty loud for medium size venues.  I do suggest making or buying a baffle of some sort.  Clearsonic in Ohio will sort you out.  I get my shields from Jim M  who is the Dumble of Baffle builders  LOL..
hope that helps.
Joe B

Only problem with that is (I know it's a problem here in glasgow anyway) a lot of venues would hate having to mic up 2 amps like that. Especially if there is a second guitars, a hell of a lot of venues just don't have the extra mic needed lol

It is an idea though, I'm considering getting a second head and running it into my 2x12, DSL in one, and whatever I get in the other.

way to combat that is to bring your own mics.. A couple of good beyers or a Palmer Speaker emulator are great.  Thats what I used to do back in the day.  It was all part of that new york Italian rebel streak in me.  I just refused to take no for a answer.  Plus you dont have to mic both really.  The two bleed into each other.. Its kinda like a soup..
Joe "the stewart" B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe "the stewart" B

So is that like a Scottish Italian New Yorker? cool

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Thanks for the input Joe.  Would you pair two Marshalls rather than a 1 marshall and 1 fender or dumble type.  I've never tried pairing so unsure if this rule that you have explained before only works for heads and not combos???  I use my own mics so that won't be a problem.

mickieblue wrote:

Thanks for the input Joe.  Would you pair two Marshalls rather than a 1 marshall and 1 fender or dumble type.  I've never tried pairing so unsure if this rule that you have explained before only works for heads and not combos???  I use my own mics so that won't be a problem.

Two Marshalls for that "rude" Marshall tone.  Think "Just Got Paid", "Ballad of John Henry" or "So Many Roads".

The more "polite" sounds would require a Fendery/Dumble type tone.  Some great examples are "Happier Times", "Stop", or "Sloe Gin".

It doesn't matter if you use heads or combos really.  I've had success emulating the tones with both.  A couple of small combos can be easier on the back than a couple heads and a heavy 4x12"!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.