Topic: amp switcher vs a/b box

Question for those of you who use multiple amps. I have never used multiple amps before but it is something I would like to experiment with. I know they make amp switcher pedals and also plain a/b boxes. Obviously an a/b box will only do two amps but was is the advantage of using an amp switcher pedal over just using an a/b box (aside from being able to control more than 2 amps)?

Re: amp switcher vs a/b box

Careful because an A/B box will generally only allow you to switch BETWEEN 2 amps, not blend them.  You will need at least an ABY pedal for that.  I would avoid the Morley ones because they suck.  I only bought one because I wanted something cheap to see if amp blending was for me.  Lehle, Voodoo Lab, Whirlwind, Framptone, Radial, and a few others are the nicer ones.

PS:  Ground lifts are a MUST because your amps may hum like crazy without them.  Besides it makes the rig a lot safer so you don't get shocked...been there! sad

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Best straight up amp switcher I have found is a Palmer.  Individual ground lifts.  Great for if you have three amps.  If you have four it gets a bit more complex..
Joe B

Well, in fact the guys said everything... Will you use 2 amps or more?

I have tried two Lehle pedals, the P-split which is a 2-way passive looper
with isolated outputs (a must have to avoid ground hum) phase switch and ground lift.
Here a both outputs permanent active. Means you can NOT switch between the amps.
But its very smal sized and compact.

The other is the Lehle Dual. In fact with the same spaecs as the P-split but here you can
either switch between the amps or even run both. It needs a power supply of 9v
or in passive mode both outputs are active. These are great pedals.
I use latter for my 2550/HRM combination.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I use and recommend the Voodoo Lab Amp Selector. You can switch between/blend up to 4 amps. It's dead quiet and has individual ground lifts to address possible grounding/hum issues.

I've just ordered one of these:

http://www.championpedals.com/pureaby.htm

I've given up on the Line 6 stuff and bought an Orange Tiny Terror and a Blackheart Handsome Devil.  Both are low wattage 7/15 watt EL84 based amp heads but have different voicings.  I'm keeping two of my 4x12 cabinets and some stompboxes and selling off the rest of my gear.  Hopefully I make enough ca$h to get a nice Les Paul.  I'm blaming this on you, Joe.:lol:

Thanks for all of the replies. I am thinking of going with the Voodoo Labs Amp Selector. I would go for the Palmer, like Joe suggested, but it is about $100 more that Voodoo Labs. Special thanks to Joe for responding because I think it is awesome that he gets in here and posts with the rest of us.

cmadragon wrote:

Thanks for all of the replies. I am thinking of going with the Voodoo Labs Amp Selector. I would go for the Palmer, like Joe suggested, but it is about $100 more that Voodoo Labs. Special thanks to Joe for responding because I think it is awesome that he gets in here and posts with the rest of us.

You won't be disappointed with the Voodoo Labs Amp Selector.  It's absolutely amazing, dead quiet, and offers silent switching (no pops!).  Very rugged unit as well.  I love mine and would buy more if needed.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Very old thread to revive I know, but I'm not sure I understood the online manual. Basically, will the Voodoo labs amp selector let you run one amp always on and then layered with the other three variables?

With that program setting could you also run each amp by itself? or would this be easier achieved with an ABC and ABY?

10 (edited by Coach305 2012-01-21 07:07:20)

AndreS wrote:

Very old thread to revive I know, but I'm not sure I understood the online manual. Basically, will the Voodoo labs amp selector let you run one amp always on and then layered with the other three variables?

With that program setting could you also run each amp by itself? or would this be easier achieved with an ABC and ABY?

The answer to your first two questions is "Yes."  I agree that the manual is a little opaque at times (aren't most manuals?  big_smile ), but if you read the Guitar Player review ( http://www.voodoolab.com/rev_as.htm ), it sounds like it would be fairly simple to have one "always on" amp which can then be combined with up to three others is various combinations.  And, of course, in "On/Off" mode you can easily choose to run only one amp at a time as well, with the combinational options just a foot-tap or two away...

P.S. Also reported "coaching"'s spam post...   cool

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

I used the Radial BigShot ABY box

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

craigbeal wrote:

I used the Radial BigShot ABY box

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

Palmer and Lehle are killer

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Coach305 wrote:
AndreS wrote:

The answer to your first two questions is "Yes."  I agree that the manual is a little opaque at times (aren't most manuals?  big_smile ), but if you read the Guitar Player review ( http://www.voodoolab.com/rev_as.htm ), it sounds like it would be fairly simple to have one "always on" amp which can then be combined with up to three others is various combinations.  And, of course, in "On/Off" mode you can easily choose to run only one amp at a time as well, with the combinational options just a foot-tap or two away...

P.S. Also reported "coaching"'s spam post...   cool

Ah so I see, but based on that, to run one of them individually for a short while would require you to change the program setting from 'exclusive' yea?

coaching wrote:

A Life Coach is someone who helps support an individual with his or her personal and professional life. It is a practice that assists people identify and achieve his or her personal goals. A coach also aids an individual stay focused and accountable toCoaching what they say they need and want to achieve. As we all know it is easy to allow what we want to accomplish slide, with many excuses as to why we don't get something done, however when we tell someone else we will do something we are more likely to achieve that goal because we don't want let another person down. Life Coaching is not therapy, or psychoanalyzing an individual, or counseling an individual who is mentally unstable, or needs any mental therapy. It is all about helping you realize and accomplishing everything you want to be a success, eliminate stress and find happiness.

Reported

I use the a Buzz Electronics unit - see below link.  It works great, offers a buffered version (a must), sits nicely on my board and it's incredible value for money.  Oh yeah, they ship free in the UK too!

http://buzzelectronics.co.uk/product_in … ucts_id=64

Gibson LP '89 Custom * Gibson LP '04 Classic * Gibson JB LP Studio * Fender 50th Ann. Deluxe Strat * Gibson Explorer Pro * Epiphone Korina SG * Michael Kelly Patriot Premium * Ibanez 105NT Artcore Custom * Takamine acoustics * Fender Blues Deville 4x10" * Marshall DSL100 and DSL50 * Marshall 1960A * Laney LH55 * Bugera V55HD * Bugera 212VT * Marshall 1912 * Roland Cube 60