1 (edited by Logo33 2009-11-30 01:24:29)

Topic: build your own...

Hello all-

I have done as much research as I can, and wasn't able to find the info O was looking for, so i figured I'd come here and ask the experts! big_smile

To get right to the point... I want a korina flying v. But as we all know, the Gibson 58-59 RI is 8-12k and unfortunately, that just isn't in the budget. I browse eBay for copies from time to time, and today I found an unfinished body made by an ex-Gibson employee, that was supposedly built for Lenny Kravitz (dunno if that part is true or not) but it was built to 58 specs, and it was only the body, which would have given me the fun project of completing it and having a killer, custom korina v. I know that Lance Lopez uses a korina copy, and he gets amazing tone out of his. Well, I hesitated and lost it. I have been searching all over for somewhere to get a korina v body. I tried warmoth, but they (as far as I know) do not do set-necks, which is one of the things that i want, and I also looked at templates, but I don't have the proper tools to build my own. I am out of ideas, which is why I am here.... WHAT DO I DO NEXT? I have a feeling that finding a custom luthier to do it won't be too cheap!!

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: build your own...

What about going for an Epiphone Korina.  You can get them for couple hundred bux.  The Korina V's from about 1982/1983 can be had for about 3500 clams.  Not sure what your budget is.

Let us know what you end up with.

Ben

I looked at the Epiphones, they are readily available and pretty cheap, but since they are made in Korea does the quality suffer?

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

The Epi Vs are cool. The Wood and woodworking are solid. They need all new Hardware and Electronics. But, that's half the fun! big_smile

Anyway, there are more options:

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/guitars/revold.php

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

I agree with Budda.  Decent body, just needs some help in the electronics dept.

Ben

thanks budda! what ever I got, unless it was a legit gibson, was gonna get the RS guitarworks treatment, with probably gibson classic and classic plus pickups.

thanks,
Logan

Alright, I found a custom luthier in Michican by the name of Luczak. I just shot him an email about a '58, as I think it would be way cool to have a handmade guitar for a fraction of the price of a Gibson. Now for tone questions... are there specific pickups that pair better with korina than others?

Thanks,
Logan

Well, old guitars' Pickups have aged and lost some of their magnetism. So, low output PUs would probably get you closest to what a real 58 would sound like.

Gibson Antiquities might be the ticket.

However, I would look at Seymour Duncan, Rio Grande, Lindy Fralin and Jason Lollar. They all have great stuff to offer.

Korina is basically like Mahogany. Warm and Fat sounding.

P-90s are also a sweet option.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Yeah if I was on a budget I would find an Epi Korina V on the cheap and throw some Burstbuckers in there.  Pretty solid feeling guitar and would sound killer with some minor upgrades.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

From what I heard, Bulldog Bodies are a good way to build your own LP with quality wood
http://bulldogbodies.com/

Otherwise there are other cheaper options here.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gukibuityo.html

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

If you want to build your own, contact Tom @ USA Custom Guitar.

Good Luck
Spider

If Epi is not your speed although I have played them and they are pretty good.  Burstbuckers would help them .. Try the Old Ibanez -V-s.  They were made in the late 70's and do pretty well.  They are like a grand.  I paid like 3800 for my Korina.   Its a good one.  Its a A series and very light. The pickups are wrong and the guard had been changed but who cares right?   its a good one.  3 to 4 k for a 80s is fair and they can be had.  If some asks for more.. Tell them two words..  " Bernie Madoff" .  good luck..
Joe B.

Joe- You never fail! Thanks man. I'm still weighing  my options... I'm still in the "save up enough money" phase anyway.... so who knows what i'll end up with. I am technically saving up for a Gigliotti, I can very easily be swayed.

Logan

Spider-

Sent an email to the people at USA Customs... just waiting to hear back.

Logan

Little fact about the wood korina.  Its poison.  When they sand it they have to do it with special breathing masks and well vented areas because it can seriously kill you if you breath the sanded partical.  I learned that from watching a Paul Gilbert video where Ibanez made him a korina reverse iceman.

Korina...THE DEATH WOOD.  I like it, very rock and roll! cool

If I ever become a rock star I'm bringing a giant belt sander on stage with me and a Korina V...the sawdust would kill everyone in attendence!  How's that for "knocking 'em dead"? lol

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

hahaha love it stratpaulguy. I guess that explains why it's so expensive... but really, is it worth 12k? I mean, I know that Gibson jacks up the prices... BUT SERIOUSLY?!

Logan

Most hardwood sanding particles can be very harmful if you breathe them in.

Ebony is another nasty one :S