Topic: Best Jubilee substitute?

Hey everyone, I'd love some input on whether or not there's anything out there that can do what the 100w Silver Jubilee can.  Not that a real 2555 is out of the question for my future, I was just curious if their are any alternatives.  I'm not prepared to shell out the $3K for a PCB Marshall...yet.

My main issues are no mystery because I've complained about them before.  My DSL sounds very good and gets me close but it breaks ALL THE TIME.  It's about to go into the shop for a final time but I'm undecided whether or not sell it and get something better.  I've heard people claim that the JCM800s especially the 2210 model can cop the Jubilee thing at a cheaper price.  It has the same diode clipping, made around the same time, etc.  It really sucks because I see real Jubilees for sale all the time at decent prices but they are the 2550 model.  All of my "alternate amps" are 100w.

In a perfect world a beat up old 2555 that works great will surface but I fear that these amps are getting harder and harder to find.  I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Ceriatone Jubilees and I don't want to go that route unless it nails the sound.  Any thoughts or suggestions guys?

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Re: Best Jubilee substitute?

I'm really suprised your DSL breaks all the time. I've had mine for nearly 3 years and it's not failed on my once.
I think it could be one of the ones prior to changing to lead free solder. I'd maybe get another DSL but, a better one lol
Hard to find I know.

I wouldn't get too picky about the jubilee model. If you can get the 50watt head go for it. It's different to an extent but you might love it.

My DSL is 50 watt and I actually prefer it to the 100watt ones I practice with.
Couldn't say why specifically, might be that I'm just more comfortable with the tone I get out of it given that I've had all the time in the world to tweak it. But, either way, I wouldn't get too wound up about getting 100watt when the 50watt might be excellent.

Totally Agree Jim..
       DSL and a tube screamer will get you home.  They have a new amp coming out that I like better than the DSL .. Its warmer and  better suited for cleaner playing.. It will go to 20 on the gain as well.  Marshall DSL are my choice when the Jubilee's are resting..
best
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Totally Agree Jim..
       DSL and a tube screamer will get you home.  They have a new amp coming out that I like better than the DSL .. Its warmer and  better suited for cleaner playing.. It will go to 20 on the gain as well.  Marshall DSL are my choice when the Jubilee's are resting..
best
Joe B

Thanks Joe and Jimi for the suggestions.  It really kills me that you still sound the same with your DSLs Joe, which is probably the only reason I have kept mine this long.  I just wish I could find someone who knows the amplifier very well and could fix it/make it bulletproof.  So Marshall is coming out with another new head huh....VERY interesting!  I may just fix this one and wait until that comes out for the general public.  I'd wish that they'd just reissue the Jubilee permanently.  They did it with the JCM800, why not the Jube?

If anyone has anything else that comes close to the Jubilee I'd like to hear the suggestions.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

This is a cool thread. I've been looking at the DSL's... they can be had for pretty cheap on eBay. Doesn't Gary Moore play through DSL?

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

6 (edited by RickB 2009-12-11 01:26:47)

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Totally Agree Jim..
best
Joe B

Thanks Joe and Jimi for the suggestions.  It really kills me that you still sound the same with your DSLs Joe, which is probably the only reason I have kept mine this long.  I just wish I could find someone who knows the amplifier very well and could fix it/make it bulletproof.  So Marshall is coming out with another new head huh....VERY interesting!  I may just fix this one and wait until that comes out for the general public.  I'd wish that they'd just reissue the Jubilee permanently.  They did it with the JCM800, why not the Jube?

If anyone has anything else that comes close to the Jubilee I'd like to hear the suggestions.

Hey Stratpaulguy86, and all the rest of you gearheads that like to save some bucks and have a few skills. Here are  some general tips on care and prevention of failures in old tube amps. I am an electronic field engineer who grew up in the tube era. Typically, this job takes a couple of hours and maybe $50-$75 in components for a large amp. It will make the amp like new.

The first thing, other than tubes, to fail is usually the electrolytic filter capacitors. These have a  life of about 6-8 years. It is easier and cheaper to replace every one of them at the same time once they begin to fail. One should know how to do a proper soldering job and they are polarized so they must be installed correctly, but it is not rocket science.

The second thing is cracked or "cold" solder joints. These will cause intermittent operation and can be mechanical in nature. ie jarring or rapping on the cabinet can cause the problem to come and go. They can be detected by gently tapping on the internal wiring with an insulated screwdriver handle while the unit is powered up. BE CAREFUL, high voltages are present and can and will kill you if you make contact! Use the old technician's left hand rule: keep your left hand in your hip pocket so if you do take a shock it won't kill you. Once the area is isolated, re-solder everything close to the point. Inspection with a magnifying loup can often show cracks in the solder around wire points or on printed circuit boards. Tube sockets on circuit boards are frequent sources of cracked solder joints around the pins.

If anyone has more detailed questions, contact me directly and I'll be happy to help out.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Totally Agree Jim..
best
Joe B

If you want it fixed/modded correctly contact Voodoo Amps. You will be glad you did!

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/
Voodoo Amplification, Inc.
45 Atwater Road
Lansing, NY 14882
Phone: (607) 256-0465
Fax: (607) 330-0272
Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM EST

Stay Safe Y'all!!

Thanks Spider for the Voodoo link!  I have considered those guys before but I can't remember why I didn't send it before.  I would be interested in getting their "cream" and "mid girth" mods to the amp as well.  I wonder how bad shipping would be both ways...oh well can't hurt to send 'em an email!  Thanks again dude! cool

9 (edited by Logo33 2009-12-11 11:37:34)

Let us know Justin. That could be something I'd look into in the future.

Logan

I just looked it up, and estimated shipping from my house near Cleveland to Lansing NY is aprox $26 for UPS ground service.

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

I'm still I'm very happy with my Ceriatone 2550.
Since I played the original SJ I have a very good comparison
and to me its a very good substitute. But of course I haven't tried any other
counterparts who might be great as well.

By the way, I made two more clips of my 2550/Valvetech Hayseed rig.
Going to upload them soon.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

anyone know anything about this new Marshall that Sir Joe speaks of?

Logan

I believe there is a Gary Moore Signature Marshall right around the corner.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

I've heard people claim that the JCM800s especially the 2210 model can cop the Jubilee thing at a cheaper price.  It has the same diode clipping, made around the same time, etc.

The jcm800 2210 was the penultimate rock amp of the 80s , but have never played one I had jcm 800 2203 which is a beast but needs cranked to sound good , i would love to hear opinions on jcm800 2210 as Michael Schenker played one and had great tone also just watched robin trower , rock out with one.

Still think though if you want jubilee sound  THEN CERIATONES the way to go its a simple circuit and at least its hand wired where originals are PCB   
                                thanks Derek

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

What's this new head Marshall are releasing Joe?
Able to tell us any more about it?

Is the new Marshall Joe is talking about the Marshall MA series????

http://www.marshallamps.com/product_ran … ode=MA100H

Or is there something in the works that we don't know about yet...

the MA doesn't go 20, but is a great amo for a novice player to be introduced the sweetness of tubes

kissfanps wrote:

the MA doesn't go 20, but is a great amo for a novice player to be introduced the sweetness of tubes

So I guess Joe knows something we all don't know about a new Marshall???

"Looks like Gary is having a 1959 Sig model built, this is part of an article from the February issue Guitar Player Magazine. Sound interesting..

"Did you plug into any other amps?

I used a Fender Dual Showman head which is what Peter Green used with Fleetwood Mac. The original cabinet had two 15" JBL's, but I never liked those, so I use it with a Marshall 4X12" loaded with Vintage 30's. I used that and a custom German solidbody with Bare Knuckle pickups - which are kind of out of phase to give you a Peter Green vibe- on "Someday Baby". I just ran both pickups up full, and I went straight into the amp for that song. I used a Marshall DSL 2000 for a couple of things, and I used the ES-335 through a Marshall 1959 SPLX head - which is basically an old 1959 with an effects loop - on "Do You Ever Feel Lonely." That amp has a very dirty sound-almost like it's going to blow up. I used DSL's from about 1996 until last year , but now I'm using two MARSHALL 1959HW's -the Handwired Reissues- onstage for a really nice, big, round sound. They have more presence and a rawer sound than the DSL's, with a feel that's closer to that of the amps Cream and Hendrix used.

I'm also having a signature Marshall built that will try to incorporate all those qualities. I'm going for a 100-watt head like the old 1959 Super Lead- with a spring reverb and the four inputs- but it will have a switch that links the inputs internally so you don't have to jumper them. It'll also have a half power switch, and a boost with just enough gain to give a lift to solos."

That amp sounds pretty frickin cool.. just wanna know if thats actually going to come out or not....