Topic: Ceriatone OTS HRM settings?

Finally got my kit finished. Sounds OK, but quite clearly needs to be broken in for a few days. Sounds a bit fuzzy and bright now.
Does anyone here have tips for usefull settings. I know Alex wrote something about having got tips from JB, I think (?)
Looking for that warm, smooth, creamy overdrive, as well as a JB sound together with my 2550.
Settings both on front and rear OD adjustment would be highly appreciated.

Re: Ceriatone OTS HRM settings?

Sure thing Vim!  I actually stole this off one of Joe's amp demos on Youtube, they had a closeup of both his Carol Ann and Twinkleland.  My settings are currently:

(rear gain trimmer) 1 o'clock
Hi input
Volume-6
Deep-OFF
MidBoost-ON
Jazz/Rock-ROCK
Treble-4
Mids-6
Bass-4
Drive-4
Level-7
Master-7
Presence-3

NOTE***  These settings are LOUD LOUD LOUD!!!  If you need lower volumes just reverse the drive and level.  I think you get a more natural sound with power tube overdrive.  I do remember my amp being brighter and harsher when I first got it.  Let the components get some break-in and same for your tubes.

VERY IMPORTANT the loop was designed for a dumbleator type device.  You can warm/sweeten the sound up some by using such a device.  If you plan on using reverb I would check out the Fuchs Verbrator.  You can further tweak the volume and level of compression with a device like a dumbleator.  I think the amp is a LOT warmer with something in the loop.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Thanks!
OK, so preferably no "normal" effects in the loop on this one?
How does the Dumbleator work? Nik's pages doesn't really tell much about either function nor size...

I play mostly at home and getting the powertubes to work properly is allways difficult.
I'll start with your settings and experiment from there.

Since I have a PPIMV in my 2550 I might also consider using the UA Attenuator on the OTS instead, and also run reverb and delay through the 2550, with a patch cable (and later on a Dumbleator maybe) in the fx loop of the OTS.

Oh, and how about settings for preamp boost and overdrive on the back of the amp?

The preamp boost knobs in the back are only important if you don't use the provided footswitch.  They do nothing if you have the footswitch engaged and the "manual" switch off.  As far as effects go, I find that I like the Marshall almost 100% dry except for the delay.  I tend to prefer the reverb/chorus in the loop of the HRM.  What a Dumbleator does is helps strengthen the signal so that the impedances of the loop/pedals/rack effects/whatever work properly.  It's always boggled my mind that one of the greatest amp designers ever couldn't even design a good effects loop!  I still recommend using either the Kleinulator (if you already have a reverb pedal) or Fuchs Verbrator if you want it all in a nice neat package.  Cool thing about the Dumbleator type devices are that you can lower the overall output of the amp and drive the amp harder for a natural sounding overdrive/compression.  People claim that they sweeten the amps up more and make the effects used sound a lot better.  Hope this helps!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Thanks again. I'll have to take a look at the Fuchs Verbrator during christmas.
Allways dangerously expensive asking for help in here smile

Still wondering about the OD pot on the back of the amp though. Guess it kinda controls the range of the drive control on the front, and that this pots range again is controlled by the internal adjustment of OD?

7 (edited by Stratovari 2009-12-21 18:50:26)

Since i play a 2550/HRM100 rig too I may suggest my settings?
I find them well balanced and it comes very close to Joes sounds
though it doesn't have those clean and complex mids.
But still impressing.

2550:
drive channel
presence: 4
bass: 11 (11 is full up, no 10 like on Marhsalls)
mids: 8
treble: 4
output master 4 (the louder the better wink
lead master: 5
input gain: 5

HRM 100:
preamp boost on
rear gain trimmer: 11 o'clock
high input
deep switch: off
mid boost: on
rock/jazz: rock
volume: 7
treble: 2
middle: 7
bass: 4
drive: 4
level: 3 (same here, the louder the rock)
presence: 3

Another word to the dumbleator.
I have the Fuchs verbrator and the reverb itself sounds just amazing.
But the dumbleator thing either doesn't work for me or i'm to silly to use it properly.
If I put chorus and delay in the loop of the verbrator then the delay becomes so quiet.
If I roll the level dial of the delay pedal full up then its ok but still sounds blurry.
If I raise the output level of the fx control of the verbrator then it starts to hiss
because the output signal gets slightly boosted. Especially if you use the push/pull pot.
I tried various settings but I found the delay most natural sounding if you use the regular
fx loop of the HRM. Maybe I need more time to tweak, but thats always an issue... hmm
I also have a Kleinulator but still hadn't the time to test properly.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

8 (edited by vim 2009-12-21 21:26:27)

Cool Alex, thanks!
The demos you two guys have put together are awsome and a lot of the reason why I chose these two amps.
If only an old man had Youtube available during my hair-metal band days in the 80's smile

Stratovari wrote:

Since i play a 2550/HRM100 rig too I may suggest my settings?
I find them well balanced and it comes very close to Joes sounds
though it doesn't have those clean and complex mids.
But still impressing.

2550:
drive channel
presence: 4
bass: 11 (11 is full up, no 10 like on Marhsalls)
mids: 8
treble: 4
output master 4 (the louder the better wink
lead master: 5
input gain: 5

HRM 100:
preamp boost on
rear gain trimmer: 11 o'clock
high input
deep switch: off
mid boost: on
rock/jazz: rock
volume: 7
treble: 2
middle: 7
bass: 4
drive: 4
level: 3 (same here, the louder the rock)
presence: 3

Another word to the dumbleator.
I have the Fuchs verbrator and the reverb itself sounds just amazing.
But the dumbleator thing either doesn't work for me or i'm to silly to use it properly.
If I put chorus and delay in the loop of the verbrator then the delay becomes so quiet.
If I roll the level dial of the delay pedal full up then its ok but still sounds blurry.
If I raise the output level of the fx control of the verbrator then it starts to hiss
because the output signal gets slightly boosted. Especially if you use the push/pull pot.
I tried various settings but I found the delay most natural sounding if you use the regular
fx loop of the HRM. Maybe I need more time to tweak, but thats always an issue... hmm
I also have a Kleinulator but still hadn't the time to test properly.

Alex

It sounds like you are in the parallel mode.  Did you try series yet?  I think they have a switch for that on there somewhere.  I'm not to familiar with the Verberator, but I have a Fuchs ODS.  I think they took the loop circuit out of that amp and put it in a box.  Those tube buffered loops are tricky.  It took me forever to figure out how to use the loop to my advantage on my Fuchs.

Ben

10 (edited by SOFTMC 2009-12-22 01:43:46)

I Will agree with the settings posted so far , then adjust to taste .

The HRM  sounds best to my ears with the back od trimmer set at 9.30  unless you are looking for alot of drive into marshall terriatory, but I suspect here like the rest of us you want into Joes tone range.

also remember that inside the HRM there are internal trimmers for further adjustment to bass mid and treble ,(but not OD) that was the point of the HRM more tone options on the OD channel

the HRM IMO req a good burn in period before it sounds the way it should I dont know why but it does? AND as I think Ben quoted in another thread about his Two Rock,some days you have to keep tweeking to get the sound you want. ALSO I dont think this amp comes to life until you get a good reverb unit in the loop. the Boss rev5 does it for me  but if you can stretch to fuchs reverberator then do it. 
LASTLY different settings req between Gibson Les Paul and Stratocaster ,lower mids and drive about 2 notches for Les Paul  and your good to go. Stratocaster sounds awesome with HRM and has Ford, Carlton and Matt Schofield tones in spades, enjoy

Derek

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

+ 1 on ading a D-Lator to your amp, I have a standard OT Ceriatone and use a Kleinulator with a T-rex Replica in the loop and the sound is great.  I agree with looking into the Fuchs Verbrator to kill to birds with one stone if you like Reverb.  Also, Fuchs Verbrator will provide a little more punch/OD IMO then the Kleinulator - Kleinualtor smoothens the sound more.  Enjoy your amp and fun finding your tone.

vim wrote:

Cool Alex, thanks!
The demos you two guys have put together are awsome and a lot of the reason why I chose these two amps.
If only an old man had Youtube available during my hair-metal band days in the 80's smile

Bought a Fuchs Verbrator on ebay yesterday, so even more tweaking coming up smile
The OTS HRM is beginning to come to life after some 15 hours of playing. Based on experience with tube based hifi, it'll probably take another 50-100 hours to settle.

What I found out yesterday is that the OTS does not respond as well to my UA attenuator as the 2550. Sound becomes way too rounded and little defined. A pitty, because a lot of the time I play too low for the OTS to sound at its best (with settings as above and level on 2 or higher).

It sounds fantastic when turned up a little though, and today I'm going to pair it with the 2550 for the first time. Ahhh, what a wonderfull world...

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

It sounds like you are in the parallel mode.  Did you try series yet?  I think they have a switch for that on there somewhere.  I'm not to familiar with the Verberator, but I have a Fuchs ODS.  I think they took the loop circuit out of that amp and put it in a box.  Those tube buffered loops are tricky.  It took me forever to figure out how to use the loop to my advantage on my Fuchs.

Ben

Ben, you really could have a point here.
What a pain that the verbrator is on my pedalboard in rehearsalroom now.

In the manual it says

"When the pedal is used in parallel (normal) mode, the send and return controls are used to
adjust that the input to the first pedal is not overloaded, and the return level may be
adjusted for how much effect you desire. When the pedal is in series mode, the return
control will set overall level of the system, and the Verbrator should be adjusted so the
level of the amplifier (your system level) is approximately the same as when the unit is
not used. The intent of a properly functioning effects loop is to insure proper level and
impedance matching from the amplifier to and from the effects loop. While the unit can
add gain when required, it is usually not recommended as it increases the chances of
extraneous noise." 

There is also a drawing in the manual which shows a
parallel/series switch which seems to be inside. . Have a look.
http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/man … Manual.pdf
This is maybe the solution of that issue.

I will try this right after the christmas days.
Thanks bro for bringing me to that. smile

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

No problem Alex.  I run my ODS loop in Series.  I'm kinda curious myself to see if that helps and what the stock setting on the switch is.  One thing I like about Fuchs, is any paper work you get from one of his products is really detailed and has good explanations.  Let us know how it works out.

Ben

Of course I'll post it here if I found the holy grail. cool
Thanks again.

Vim, I found the OTS sound very well even on bedroom level.
The drive section works even that good that here imho theres no attenuator needed.
Probably an attenuator here is no improvement?

So you find it good working with an attenuator on the 2550?
Is it a big difference compared to using the master volume?
I still have some of these attenuators and though i'm happy
with the MV I might give it a try.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Stratovari wrote:

So you find it good working with an attenuator on the 2550?
Is it a big difference compared to using the master volume?
I still have some of these attenuators and though i'm happy
with the MV I might give it a try.

Alex

Yeah absolutely better with an attenuator, but we're talking conversation level almost.
As soon as the MV passes 4, it sounds better without.
Helped with a PPIMV but I still use the UA for bedroom level practise too.

So am I to understand you all have to put these together yourselves? If that is the case.. The fuzzy and bright thing might not go away.. Amps are built using solder techniques and wire positioning.   I also caution anybody working on their own stuff.. You can really hurt yourself doing that.  Before working on a amp it has to be drained of electrons especially in the capacitors.. There are leathal voltages and amperages ( the real killer) lurking in them.  Dont mean to sound like a negative nellly but I genuinely dont want to see anybody hurt here. Be careful and have fun mostly and give a qualified tech a crack if you are stumped.  best 80 bucks you ever spent!!
Joe B

You can buy the Ceriatone amps either as kit
or even totally finished. Latter did I with my 2550 jubilee
and HRM100. Beside retubing and biasing I keep my
fingers off the innards LOL. Since they sound very punchy
and warm I'm very sure you would like them too.
But hats off for the guys who are able to build them!

Alex

www.u2-experience.de