Topic: gotta tell you about my new amp..

So I am recording a " discrete project" in early January.  (you will know eventually but now you cant.. sorry).  I needed to find a really killer Marshall.  A clean tone one.. Like Paul Kossoff's or Eric Johnson.  When I say clean tone one.. a 4 input model that when you turn to 6 or 7 its still not distorted but its loud and breaking up slightly.. So my friends at Guitar Center Hollywood vintage found me a slightly modded Super Bass 100 watt plexi panel head . It has a master volume added in the back but does little to the original tone.  I plugged it in and was so blown away it made me cry. I finally found the Kossoff tone.. It is magic and due to the demand of 100 watt heads being less than spectacular and given the Guitar Center guys are uber nice, I got it pretty reasonable.  Not since I ve been a kid ( a long time) have I been inspired to play by a amp or piece of gear.  It is a magic one in a non collector clothing.  Its in my living room now with a chandler tube driver and a boss reverb.  Its the "Tons of Sobs" tone.  Even with the THD Hot plate set at "neighbors" it is so good.. Sorry I am gushing a bit.  But you know.. As for it seeing action Live, not a chance.. Its my new favourite child right now..
Joe B

Re: gotta tell you about my new amp..

'Grats! big_smile Sounds awesome! Hope to hear it on this "Discrete Project"! big_smile

Guitars - Cheapo "Jay Turser"
A beautiful Blue guitar made by "Agile"
2009 Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White, Maple Wood Fretboard
1994 Blue Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite, Black-Chrome Hardware

Nice! That sounds like it's killer!!

-Eric

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

4 (edited by Blaze 2009-12-23 20:46:23)

Congrats for the amp , nice to see you found the Kossoff s tone you were lookin for..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiN2kjP7U9g

"There hasnt been a note on the fretboard that hasnt been played before.."
                                                                                              Joe B.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default … tent=music

Congratz! Cant wait to hear it lol

The Blues Never Dies!

Ah yes, its that eye opening feeling of "YES, I HAVE IT." The puppy love that is finding the tone you only previously heard in your head, the one you've always dreamed of... the missing piece of puzzle.

Love hearing success stories like that. Those are the little charges you get that make life worth it!
When it's almost so good you don't think it's real, you're dreaming or you stay up all night because you cannot image what tomorrow would be like with it in your life. cool

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I guess we've all been there... For me it was plugging into a real vintage SLP a few years ago, but I haven't had a chance to find one for myself yet... I think I might start hunting one down once the studio is fully set which will be next year after I get a couple of 1176's...

I also got that feeling with a UA LA610 mic pre that I tried on acoustic guitar about 2 years ago and that was a true revealing moment that sometimes gear goes beyond just being "gear" and starts being a little bit of extra soul in the tone... I got my very own one last summer...

Glad you found that feeling "again"... Enjoy. Those are rare moments...

Congrats on the find Joe! I'm sure it will inspire some great new music that we will all benefit from. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like on the recording.

Since you won't play it live, why not send it over to Don at Cat5 while you are on tour and have him try to get as close as possible with a clone you can play live? It can be a new model, the "JBSB". cool

Man this is making me want to get my Metro kit built even faster now!  I have to have that real plexi tone!!!  Funny that you are in love with a Superbass Joe, I've always thought that given your tastes in tone that the Superbass would be better than the Superlead.  The Superbass circuit is a little cleaner, rounder, and has a clearer sound.  When I think Superlead I think Jimmy Page or EVH.  Superbass amps to me are more refined like EJ or cleaner Hendrix.  Great stuff Joe, congrats on the acquisition! cool

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Congratulations Joe!

What a great Christmas gift to yourself!!

Andre Wittebroek

Ha, go ahead and rock it Paul Kossoff style!!

Eva

Sounds to me like how I felt when I opened up my electric football game that I got for Christmas when I was a very young boy. wink Hey, nothing wrong with an early Christmas present to yourself Joe. Enjoy!! cool

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Man this is making me want to get my Metro kit built even faster now!

Which one are you getting ?

Sometimes you think to yourself, i'm just gonna get me something i want .....

i did i went and got Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" Ltd Edition CD
Absolute Monster

Aaaaaah life's little surprises

you're just a tone stalker and Guitar Centers #1 discount recipient

'appy 'olidays

........................ Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

WOW. End.

Ahhh, thats awesome! Nice one Joe, can't wait to hear on this discrete project of yours! And seeing you next year smile
Rus

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

What's it running for power tubes?  Almost pulled the trigger on a superbass...congrats!  You need a house in the country so you don't have to worry about the neighbors big_smile

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Sung to the tune of "Nuttin' For Christmas"

"Joe gotta' new kid for Christmas"
     "Plugged in and it sure sounds grand"
     "Joe gotta' new kid for Christmas"
     "It's a Super Bass 100 watt plexi panel head."

cool  pattyluvsjoe  cool

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184