Topic: I TRIED THE BLUESBREAKER AND THE TWIN AMP57 REISSUE PUT A SPELL ON ME

I HAVE JUST TRIED THE BLUESBREAKER
The sound is quite good but really it's too loud and too heavy! I was really disappointed to discover that it only must be

played loud and it's very difficult to handle, it takes much room and not easy to carry in a car.

And I decided to try other amps WITH MY LES PAUL 57 REISSUE (vibrolux reverb,twin amp 57°)

what a marvellous feeling when I tried the 57 REISSUE TWIN AMP clean and dirty, even with a TS9,great moment even at

low levels it magnifies the goldtop , pure bluesy tone I have been looking for for a long time.

a bit expensive but I think I 'll try to sell a guitar of mine maybe a lespaul swampash or a cherry flame telecaster standard l

limited run  for my mind is fevered ,I bear in mind the pure and definite crystalclear tone I listened to and the incredible dirty

sound when cranked or TS9 loaded  what a dream!what's more it weights few and can be easily put into a car.

Re: I TRIED THE BLUESBREAKER AND THE TWIN AMP57 REISSUE PUT A SPELL ON ME

Any Marshall is meant to be played at deafening levels to sound great... Sucks, but it's a fact of life... Wait a minute... no it doesn't suck, it's what makes them cool !!! lol ...

But you're right the Twin RI is awesome and it tales OD pedals like a charm... If you can, try to come up with the cash without selling anything... I still regret selling guitars for amps from when I was younger and wished I had kept the guitars and waited a while to get the amps instead... I especially regret a 335 dot that was plain awesome...

Show us the beastie when yo get it... smile

Those 2 amps are based off the same circuit.  I think the tubes make a difference and the speakers are a big difference too.  I know Eric Clapton uses them a lot now.  He had some old Twins that he used up basically and the custom shop built him some amps out of pine floors from a old church.  I heard that those amps have gone bad since then and in early 2001 he was trying the Vibro king but didn't like them.  Thats when he started using the Carr amps he helped design.  But his tour in 2006 he started using the Reissue Twins and reportedly liked those better then his custom shops that he had.  Makes since he would use that amp seeing how the Bluesbreaker is very similar and it was named after his stent with the bluesbreakers.

Did Clapton use Carr amps? I was under the impression he used a Cornell Custom 80 from around 2004-2006?

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary.
Those who do and those who do not.

To the best of my knowledge, it was a Cornell, not a Carr (not sure which model).
The Bluesbreaker (Marshall JTM-45) is a copy of the Fender Bassman circuit, not the Twin.
There's only one Bluesbreaker, BTW. The Marshall 1974x combo is often called the Bluesbreaker's little brother, although its circuit is based upon a Watkins Dominator. So it's a misnomer, really, although they look almost identical from the outside.
Apologies, if I sound too nerdy.

AD3THREE wrote:

Those 2 amps are based off the same circuit.  I think the tubes make a difference and the speakers are a big difference too.  I know Eric Clapton uses them a lot now.  He had some old Twins that he used up basically and the custom shop built him some amps out of pine floors from a old church.  I heard that those amps have gone bad since then and in early 2001 he was trying the Vibro king but didn't like them.  Thats when he started using the Carr amps he helped design.  But his tour in 2006 he started using the Reissue Twins and reportedly liked those better then his custom shops that he had.  Makes since he would use that amp seeing how the Bluesbreaker is very similar and it was named after his stent with the bluesbreakers.

This is not correct- they were not Carr- though I think someone else pointed this out.

Anyone who buys a 57 twin expecting to have a sound anything like a Bluesbreaker or JTM 45 will be severely bummed. If you get a dual showman then you will be a bit closer to a High Powered Tweed Twin...but not much

In fact- those cathode biased 1974/2061x are more Vox like (EL84) are not like the JTM45s. Certainly the 2061X is.

The tone stack on the Bassman/Bandmaster are closer to JTM in terms of "Based on" but even so- they sound different though you are correct about the Tubes/Speakers playing there part.

HAND

Sorry you guys are right.  Mind is slipping these days.

My issue with the reissue tweed twin is the speakers.. The reissue Jensens are dreadful.. The originals were pretty questionable as well. IMHO But at least they were warmer.  If you put greenback Celestions or Fanes it would sound better.  EV's would work but might be too clean for that application.  Might.. You never Know. I was excited when they reissued the tweed twin but its not right in many ways.  But!!! God used one stock and it was Epic.. I saw it with my own eyes..  So what do I know??????
Best
JB

There is no reason in the world to buy the Fender.

Victoria Amps makes a low and high powered Twin probably far closer to the orginal than Fender and just about the same price. 3 grand.

Sligo amps in Leesburg VA, makes handwired Fenders and Marshalls, including the High and low powered Twins for about 1200-1400 bucks. I've been eyeing them up for awile.

They are the Same thing and you can custom order from him any speaker or special parts you want.  He has some made but to my knowledge he can get whatever part you want... speaker, tubes, whatever.  Your going to pay for it... but still you are saving a thousand bucks.

jgalvan8804 wrote:

There is no reason in the world to buy the Fender.

Victoria Amps makes a low and high powered Twin probably far closer to the orginal than Fender and just about the same price. 3 grand.

Exactly, and don't forget Ceriatone. I have a couple of those and they're the best amps I have (including my Marshall and Fenders). I'm an amateur player but I know good tone when I hear it.
BTW, I'm intrigued by Victoria's Double Deluxe. Has anyone played one?

Well however you look at it, when I crank my 1974 (volume on 8-10) it sounds very clapton era bluesbreaker... It weighs the same as a fender blues deluxe and is around the same size, the only real issue I have with the amp is no reverb and my Les Paul I just cant seem to get a nice clean with it, however it growls real nice wink

Overall it has a nice quality about it and feels really well built (should hope so for the ££) the simplicity of the amp is what really gets me going though, Tone and Volume if you roll the tone up the treble gets added and bass taken away - roll it down bass gets added treble taken away - leave it around the middle and its like having them both up. Then theres the volume its so simple after about 4 it stops sounding thin and anything above 7 is just beautiful and it doesnt sound dry even though it has no reverb if you get what I mean. Its just an amp you've really gotta try properly whilst cranked, I went into the shop with the intention of buying a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI and came out with something totally the otherside of the spectrum...

You can tell what you want,questionable speakers or not, my ears didn't mistake; the sound with my goldtop reissue 57

was awfully beautiful ,incredibly pure and well articulate, my goldtop had never been so displayed to advantage and

versatile, and  what's more with the ts9 TOO.

The only disappointment came  when I loooked for utube demoes .ALL WAS RUBBISH,nothing really genuine!

As far as the 1974 is concerned the problem is the same as with my Hk dual el 84 ITPROVES TO BE TOO COMPRESSED AND DON'T

REVEAL THE TRUE GOLDTOP TONE ;It lacks of something which I only found in the twin amp reissue

Gotta go with what your ears tell you.  You can listen to everyone tell you what they think but in the end your the only one you got to make happy.  I never even played either of those amps.  Out of my price range, for that matter a 57' Reissue is out of my price range too.  If only guitars were sold in gum ball machines...

You 're really true PLATINUM this amp is very expensive!that's why I haven't bought it yet!For that moment I only intend

and try to build a scheme to finance it ,it's true that I m ready to sell some of my gear that I' ve buying for years for I

subjectively think it's the holy graal that's the trap when you're music passionate ,you always go to music shop and test

new gear and you finally discover the stuff that matches you, what you consider as the essential.But I consider music as my

life spring and i ceased smoking 12 YEARS AGO and think I spared much money to buy what makes me happy!

I'm going to go completely left field here and recommend something else that you'd likely LOVE.  For the coinage of the Fender '57 Tweed Twin RI, I would try a Two-Rock or Carol Ann first.  For that uber articulate, super clear but never harsh tone, the Two-Rocks/Carol Anns EXCELL at this!  I almost jumped on a minty Custom Reverb Signature for $2700, and a OD2100 for $2200.  Both are GREAT prices for those amps!  In the end I decided I already have a bunch of amps that blow my socks off everyday and it wouldn't make sense lugging them all to gigs.

BTW if you are into the Fender Tweed tone with some "magic sauce" on top, I would check out some of Dr. Z's stuff.  His Z-28 model is crazy good and to these ears gave me the best Fender Tweed tones I've ever heard.  With 6V6's the amp is at a comfortable 28 "Z-watts" which in reality makes the amp probably around 35-40w easy lol.  My Dr. Z Maz Jr. is rated at 18w and it easily hangs with my 40w rated Super Reverb (with almost the same clean headroom!).

Just my .02, hope this helps in your search.  If the Tweed Twin is your dream amp then settle for nothing less.  Life is far too short to play through crappy amps! wink

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

I almost jumped on a minty Custom Reverb Signature for $2700, and a OD2100 for $2200.  Both are GREAT prices for those amps!  In the end I decided I already have a bunch of amps that blow my socks off everyday and it wouldn't make sense lugging them all to gigs.

You still haven't tried my OD2100 yet...you may change your mind once you get your hands on one... wink

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

BTW if you are into the Fender Tweed tone with some "magic sauce" on top, I would check out some of Dr. Z's stuff.

I think the DR Zs are an excellent suggestion for much less money and great quality, especially used market prices. I would also be looking into those Sligo amps before I spent 3 grand on the fender.

ken wrote:

You still haven't tried my OD2100 yet...you may change your mind once you get your hands on one... wink

Sorry about that BTW Ken, I had to help my folks move into their new house before X-Mas which was kind of a hectic ordeal.  We were on a very tight schedule because they closed a week prior to X-Mas.  We will get together one of these days to put some amps through their paces.  I cannot wait to hear the Carol Ann all cranked up!  I'm also curious about your Superdrive combo as well.  You seem to be very impressed by it and with your tastes in gear I'm guessing you have a good ear for tone!  Give me a PM or response when it's better for you and we'll make it happen man.  Peace!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

JohnTB wrote:

Well however you look at it, when I crank my 1974 (volume on 8-10) it sounds very clapton era bluesbreaker... It weighs the same as a fender blues deluxe and is around the same size, the only real issue I have with the amp is no reverb and my Les Paul I just cant seem to get a nice clean with it, however it growls real nice wink

Overall it has a nice quality about it and feels really well built (should hope so for the ££) the simplicity of the amp is what really gets me going though, Tone and Volume if you roll the tone up the treble gets added and bass taken away - roll it down bass gets added treble taken away - leave it around the middle and its like having them both up. Then theres the volume its so simple after about 4 it stops sounding thin and anything above 7 is just beautiful and it doesnt sound dry even though it has no reverb if you get what I mean. Its just an amp you've really gotta try properly whilst cranked, I went into the shop with the intention of buying a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI and came out with something totally the otherside of the spectrum...

Right on- go with your ears every time. John Herrington into a Princeton reverb...Sweetness!! Who cares what pros use. I saw a cat with a MIM Strat>Crate. That's it. Killed it.

Happy New Years All Ye Rockers-

Be Safe!! wear shoes!!