Topic: Plexi shield choice

Hi!
I'm about to order a plexi shield and I want to get it right. Do you know any sound difference between a two-panel shield which gives a V form in front of the cab and a three-panel shield which gives a \__/ shape. Getting the first is just very slightly cheaper than the three-panel one so maybe I should go for the three-panel one?

What do you guys have and what do you recommend?

Also do you know how far from the cab should the shield be placed? 10 inches? 20 inches? More?

Thanks!!!

Re: Plexi shield choice

V shape - you don't want it to slap back and it tightens the low end up this way.  Placement matters too, it changes the tone if its an open/closed V and the depth it is set off the cab. 

Ben

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

V shape - you don't want it to slap back and it tightens the low end up this way.  Placement matters too, it changes the tone if its an open/closed V and the depth it is set off the cab. 

Ben

V is the way to go it also accentuates the mids ...

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

I dig when I get contradictory opinions... smilehmm What do I do now...?

That's the place:
http://www.plexiglas-shop.com/FR/fr/index.htm

They do ship worldwide and all you have to do is drill a few holes through their panels and get a few hinges in there... I've made a lot of research and it's the best option in Europe (or France...?). Getting a Clearsonic A3-2 or A3-3 panel here in Europe is crazy expensive...

Based on what these other 2 guys have said, i seems to make more sense to get the V shape instead. Go for that shape smile
R

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Definately a V shape.  The square hard surface does funky things with mids.  Like Govtmule says...V all the way.
Also, I don't understand why you need to spend loads of cash when a trip to Home Depot or a local hardware that sells sheets of Plexi-cut to your dimensions.  Get a few hinges and your good to go.

I have a great road crew and guitar tech but as careful as they are you always come across some dimwit local union kid that will do something stupid and the shield ends up cracked or broken.  I've been through three over the last year.  I make them for about $25.  Then, when they break it's no major loss. 

I know what you're going to say...the road crew can't be that good, right.  No, it's the venue staff and hired hands that are careless.

I would highly suggest using a \/\/ shape with a hinge in the middle.. The secret shhhhh ( dont tell the KWS forum) cool is hinge in the middle.  It works like a volume and tone control. 
Joe B

What Joe says smile but keep in mind that the VV shape is for two cabs (correct?)  I use one cab so the V shape works great and the hinge is always in the middle.

Joe.  have you tried the Weber Beam Blockers?  I hear they do a great job at off setting the directional high end beam coming off of a speaker.  Any thoughts?
For $15...

I guess back in the day SRV used to put duct tape where the cone would be inside a cab to block the beam.  Didn't look so hot but it did a good job.  These would be invisible as they mount inside the cab.

DannyG wrote:

Also, I don't understand why you need to spend loads of cash when a trip to Home Depot or a local hardware that sells sheets of Plexi-cut to your dimensions.  Get a few hinges and your good to go.

Thanks Danny. The answer is that we don't have any Home Depot type of store in France. No store sells plexi cheap here and online stores are the best option by far. You can't even imagine how hard it is to find acrylic hinges, no store has them! I have to order online, two panels are gonna cost me about 100$ without glue nor hinges...

Joe thanks for chiming in here! You're the best!
I intend to build two shields: one for a friend who has a Peavey Classic 30 and one for myself. I have a JTM45 head with a 2X12 XL cab loaded with 2 EVM12L's. It's a little smaller than a 4X12 cab (same height but not as wide). Would you still recommend the \/\/ shape for both amps? When you say "a hinge in the middle" do you mean \/here\/ or \here/here\here/. And lastly do you use small hinges or large hinges that cover all the sides of the panels?

Thanks, keep giving me more!

DannyG wrote:

Definately a V shape.  The square hard surface does funky things with mids.  Like Govtmule says...V all the way.

I have a great road crew and guitar tech but as careful as they are you always come across some dimwit local union kid that will do something stupid and the shield ends up cracked or broken.  I've been through three over the last year.  I make them for about $25.  Then, when they break it's no major loss. 

I know what you're going to say...the road crew can't be that good, right.  No, it's the venue staff and hired hands that are careless.

Are you using piano hinges?  1/4" plexi shouldn't break that easy - 1/8" on the other hand is wimpy and not stable for this application.  Once you drill plexi it's useless.  You need acrylic hinges.

Ben

11 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2010-01-08 07:11:17)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I would highly suggest using a \/\/ shape with a hinge in the middle.. The secret shhhhh ( dont tell the KWS forum) cool is hinge in the middle.  It works like a volume and tone control. 
Joe B

I think Joe is refering to one \/\/ per 4x12 cabinet. One V is for the left 2x12 (vertically and the other V is for the right 2x12's (vertically). Joe runs (or used to run) one head through the left half and one head through the right. so each half has their own baffle... but Joe is recommending it to be all one piece.... If I'm understanding it correctly.

if you are baffling a 1x12 cab like a Peavey classic 30 1x12, I think all you need is a \/
or \hinge/ big_smile

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

12 (edited by wharris 2010-01-08 02:17:51)

Adding a plexi shield was one of the best investments I have made to my rig. I use a V in front of one 4x12. The difference it makes in the sound (secondary to the ability to drive the amp harder) is very significant. The people directly in front of it benefit as well smile. I think it sweetens up the overall sound because of the high frequency dispersion.

Wonder if Joe is referring to a side-by-side 4x12 set up with the VV?

Ahh, lol. Why did I post with a guess. Makes me look like an idiot, especially when Joe see's it yikes MAN, gonna delete that first post now. How moronic of me,,, lesson learnt. Haha
R

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Yes he is refering to the double VV in front of two cabinets. He used to have a shield that was \__/ which had a flat surface infront of the cabs and when the new shiels came hinged in the middle simply so they would fold flat in a smaller package. He noticed he liked the way they sounded better. His original shield was stock two foot high four panel clear sonic set on cases. the second was made with piano hinges. The current shields are custom made with CSonic hinges. He has never broken a shield that I know of.

15 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2010-01-08 07:10:33)

Jim, just to be clear:

Are you saying?
A. 4x12 4x12
         \/\/

or

B. 4x12  4x12
     \/\/    \/\/

Im guessing you're saying A.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Jim, just to be clear:

Are you saying?
A. 4x12 4x12
         \/\/

or

B. 4x12  4x12
     \/\/    \/\/

Im guessing you're saying A.

A. so a single \/ would be over a single 4X12

How thick do these panels need to be?

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

18 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2010-01-08 23:10:08)

Musicians Friend has \__/ for $60
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ … sku=404502

DrumOne brand has a \/ too, but they don't say for how much... had to call and leave a message. should theoretically be less than $60 - but it only looks wide enough to span a 1x12 combo amp.
http://www.drumone.com/ampshields.php