Topic: Joe ~ Gear Help Please!

Joe - Out of curiosity, if you were stuck with my current everyday set-up and back-up equipment I own and had $1K to spend, how would you spend it and then what gear of mine would you use to make up your JB rig?

My Everyday Set-Up:

> Ceriatone OTS 50-Watt set at 4 ohm to run following cabs
> Two Rock Sig 1x12 with TR1265R 8ohm
> 1x12 Cab with EVM12L Classic 8 ohm
> Kleinulator
> T-Rex Replica Delay
> Boss TU2 Tuner
> Buddy Guy Wah
> Keely Katana
> Providence SOV-2 OD
> Dumkudo OD
> Dr. Scientist Reverbrator
> Boss RC-20XL Loop

Everyday Guitars: Fender CS 62 Strat Rosewood, 1979 Les Paul Custom (still have my first guitar lol) and Heritage H535.
Cables: Evidence Audio Lyric Guitar and EA Siren for Cabs

Back-up Gear I Have:

> Fulltone Mosfet II
> TS808 Re-Issue
> OCD Version 3
> Keeley Modded Boss Blues Driver
> T-Rex Dr. Swamp
> Providence Heatblaster
> Fulltone Fuzz
> Fulltone Ultimate Octave
> Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe
> EVH Flanger
> Boss Chorus
> Boss Phaser
> Boss DM2
> Boss DD-7
> Fender Tweed Blues Jr 15-Watt Amp

Thanks Joe for your time, interested in how you would try to get close to your tone with what I have and a grand! Look forward to catching you at your next Orange County, CA show!!

Regards,
Tom

Re: Joe ~ Gear Help Please!

Nice stuff...  If I had to spend only 1 thousand dollars I would get a New DSL 2000 1x12 combo to run in combination with your Two Rock or Ceritone... You need a fendery style and a high gain style IMHO.  That should run you about $699.  I would  also invest in a Clearsonic baffle made for a twin or blues breaker combo ($199 ish) and you are done. I would lose some of the pedals... Just get a good (non true bypass) wah, your TS-808, a delay, chorus on the marshall only (Effects Loop)..  Use your reverb on the Two Rock or Ceritone. I like the Boss super chorus myself.  It does wonders to a DSL especially if you turn the tone pot down on the pedal.. If you must have a fuzz, then use a Fuzzface.. or a Colour Sound Tone bender. Not the Fulltone.. Dreadful again IMHO.  All in you should be at $925 with enough left over to buy a good bottle of Caymus or Silver Oak Cab Sav...  Theres your 1000 dollars..
Hope that helped
Joe B

As a relatively new member of this forum, it still amazes me to see Joe take the time to read and reply to the various posts here. A class act all the way, and my inspiration as a guitarist.

Ohhh yeah cool He recommends my combo amp smile I feel so happy now. What a buy that was :>
Was thinking of something to run beside it, but now, I'm saving for a nice Re-issue GoldTop tongue
R

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

wharris wrote:

As a relatively new member of this forum, it still amazes me to see Joe take the time to read and reply to the various posts here. A class act all the way, and my inspiration as a guitarist.

The same goes for me. "Class act" sums it up pretty well, I think.

Never let it be said that the Great Baron Flynt was short on hospitality!

Thanks Joe, means a lot that you took the time to share your thoughts. For the record, I don't own a TR Amp, just a TR Sig 1x12 Cab with TR1265R that I run with another 1x12 loaded with a EVM12L for a nice blend through OTS - I would like to have a TR Amp!! You mentioned "non true bypass" why may I ask?  What Wah pedal do you like, regardless of cost?  Thanks and again and I hope to see you playing in OC in 2010!!  P.S. Speaking of a a good Cab, off to sip a couple at my girlfriends family Italian Retaurant...nice perk....cheers!!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Nice stuff...  If I had to spend only 1 thousand dollars I would get a New DSL 2000 1x12 combo to run in combination with your Two Rock or Ceritone... You need a fendery style and a high gain style IMHO.  That should run you about $699.  I would  also invest in a Clearsonic baffle made for a twin or blues breaker combo ($199 ish) and you are done. I would lose some of the pedals... Just get a good (non true bypass) wah, your TS-808, a delay, chorus on the marshall only (Effects Loop)..  Use your reverb on the Two Rock or Ceritone. I like the Boss super chorus myself.  It does wonders to a DSL especially if you turn the tone pot down on the pedal.. If you must have a fuzz, then use a Fuzzface.. or a Colour Sound Tone bender. Not the Fulltone.. Dreadful again IMHO.  All in you should be at $925 with enough left over to buy a good bottle of Caymus or Silver Oak Cab Sav...  Theres your 1000 dollars..
Hope that helped
Joe B

7 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2010-01-08 07:15:41)

"Not the Fulltone.. Dreadful again IMHO"

hmmm first time I've heard someone speak ill of the Fulltone.
crazy. or maybe he's talking about the fuzz and not the fulldrive.
I always heard the fulldrive mosfet was the bomb.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

True Bypass - especially in a Wah Wah often makes a pop sound when you switch it. Its not too cool to play a solo, and when you wanna use the wah it makes a loud "pop". A good buffered Wah is quieter. The guitar signal will not be machanically disconnected from the wah, but it will not produce any noises.

t92780 wrote:

Thanks Joe, means a lot that you took the time to share your thoughts. For the record, I don't own a TR Amp, just a TR Sig 1x12 Cab with TR1265R that I run with another 1x12 loaded with a EVM12L for a nice blend through OTS - I would like to have a TR Amp!! You mentioned "non true bypass" why may I ask?  What Wah pedal do you like, regardless of cost?  Thanks and again and I hope to see you playing in OC in 2010!!  P.S. Speaking of a a good Cab, off to sip a couple at my girlfriends family Italian Retaurant...nice perk....cheers!!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hope that helped
Joe B

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

I remembre reading that the pop sound is due to the switch not being borken in and to fix it just click it on and off a bunch of times, but I may be incorrect.

Joe has always used standard vox wah pedals, although I've seen him with a cry baby once or twice. I think that was a fly in using rented gear.
Actually, I've seen Joe quite a few times with rented gear (always 2 DSL2000s and 2 4x12 marshalls), and he's always sounded like Joe, pretty much the same as the 4 amp rig. Or the radio spots, where he just uses a combo and a tube screamer. Not quite the same as the live sound, but just as good, just a little stripped down (which I like).

t92780 wrote:

What Wah pedal do you like, regardless of cost?

My Vox wah has a bypass wiring, so the 9v doesn't drain. I've noticed the pop, but its not bad I don't think. Another thing I did to my wah was shave off the heel and toe rubber stoppers. I get more groan and weep out of that greater distance now.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Anyone know where you can buy a New DSL2000??  Also, if I wanted to buy a New head with no more than 50-watts, prefer 15-30 watts for under $1,500 - my winnings from Fantasy Football lol and run through my 1x12 with EVM12L Classic in conjunction with my Dumblish-is tone ingredient I already have.

JBJHJM wrote:

True Bypass - especially in a Wah Wah often makes a pop sound when you switch it. Its not too cool to play a solo, and when you wanna use the wah it makes a loud "pop". A good buffered Wah is quieter. The guitar signal will not be machanically disconnected from the wah, but it will not produce any noises.

t92780 wrote:

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hope that helped
Joe B

I'm sure you can get one from just just about anywhere as they haven't been discontinued by Marshall when the JVMs came out... In Europe you can still get them new and they're quite inexpensive especially the 50 watt head... great amp really... I think the JVM205 is just as good with the right tubes in it and way more versatile for not much more money...

here's a couple of cool demos of the amp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIoIqCqSrY&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6jckhOfHig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPirxEDt … re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnaiGpwKBU

I have a JVM410H and it's a monster amp...

Awesome, I'll see what my local and GC has in stock to demo!!

Chris Martins wrote:

I'm sure you can get one from just just about anywhere as they haven't been discontinued by Marshall when the JVMs came out... In Europe you can still get them new and they're quite inexpensive especially the 50 watt head... great amp really... I think the JVM205 is just as good with the right tubes in it and way more versatile for not much more money...

here's a couple of cool demos of the amp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIoIqCqSrY&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6jckhOfHig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPirxEDt … re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnaiGpwKBU

I have a JVM410H and it's a monster amp...

15 (edited by JohnTB 2010-01-09 05:18:52)

The reason for non true bypass was that it takes the top end away ( or atleast a little). The popping is normal for the switch just engage it and disengage a couple of times when your all set up and it should clear out. The fulltone 69 is a great fuzz imo just a bit tempermental at times sad

What I'd love is a wah that doesn't take my ears apart dunno what's up with this had it ages but recently the treble on it seems unbearable and the sweep just doesn't seem as big as it used to be sad any ideas? tis a Dunlop cry baby

JohnTB wrote:

The reason for non true bypass was that it takes the top end away ( or atleast a little). The popping is normal for the switch just engage it and disengage a couple of times when your all set up and it should clear out. The fulltone 69 is a great fuzz imo just a bit tempermental at times sad

What I'd love is a wah that doesn't take my ears apart dunno what's up with this had it ages but recently the treble on it seems unbearable and the sweep just doesn't seem as big as it used to be sad any ideas? tis a Dunlop cry baby

I have never been a huge fan of the Crybabys.  They were always a little too bright and didn't have enough of a soft vocal sound.  Great for shred or heavy rock but not best suited for my style.  I found that the Vox wahs were cheap and perfect for me!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

so would you recommend me buying a http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vox-v847/67997 ?? I havent used my wah properly for months because of the highend giving me a headache sad used to love messing around with it.