Topic: Joes Super Lead

I recently aquired a 1969 MetroAmp Superlead clone and i was wondering what settings Joe uses on his. The Amp sounds good with everything dimed but its not that smooth tone that Joe gets.

2 (edited by kissfanps 2010-01-28 01:54:11)

Re: Joes Super Lead

Joe's Cat 5 has a midboost, which can add some warmth.  It is also a 68 circuit where as you have a 69 circuit.  A 69 is pure rock and roll crunch (can be a little harsh at times depending on your guitar).  Not very "smooth" IMO, but that is why I love Marshall!  If you want, try some different overdrive circuits or an eq pedal.

He def. uses the normal input.  I think it's the normal low for guitar and the Moog is in the normal high.  Also I don't think he dimes it.  Try aound 1 or 2 o'clock on the volume.

Ben

britishbluesfan wrote:

I recently aquired a 1969 MetroAmp Superlead clone and i was wondering what settings Joe uses on his. The Amp sounds good with everything dimed but its not that smooth tone that Joe gets.

I am currently putting a '69 Metro Kit together and will let you know if I stumble across some JB like settings.  I won't be using it for just that, but copping that huge tone is always a goal that I strive for.  I would try keeping the treble and presense settings pretty low and work with the Bass/Middle knobs.  Ben is also correct about the normal input.  The bright input is better for the '70's-'80s hard rock stuff.  Keep in mind a big part of Joe's warm smooth tone comes from the Jubilee.  The Jubilee is his core sound and he uses the Superlead for flavor.  Try a TS808 or Fulldrive 2 in front of the Superlead if you aren't blending amps...it may get you closer.  Good luck!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

5 (edited by Billion81 2010-01-28 21:20:38)

Hmm? I'm actually not sure that the "warmth" comes from the Marshall, Silver Jub/Cat5 side of the equation.

We have a DSL here in our studio which (to me) is closer to the Jub than the plexi style amps.

I really think a ton of the smoothness comes from the 6L6 side of the rig-

I had a Category 5 and liked it alot but smooth is not really how I would characterize those amps- Those are for more of the  higher gain El34 side of the sound. My C5 JB100 is now up @ Henson studios in Hollywood. Killer amp- I would only use it with the mid boost engated (up) which is the highest Top boost of the two settings. 

Smooth as a descriptor is a toughee. Smooth Marshall means one thing, Smooth Dumble? well...Clearly a bit more in line with Smooth.

I'm with SPG- Turn the treb down and presence OFF or very low. That will smooth it out, less Ice Pickish which SuperLeads can and will do. Look at Lance Keltner's description of Eric Johnson's tireless aquisition of '68 era Superleads- and even then they all get fitted with 6550s, 6L6s, or 5881s. See a pattern? El34  No doubt though- Loops are essential for Delay/verb in these beasts.

The 50watters are different to me altogether when it comes to the plexis- A bit more gain creeps through as the gain stage is still sending a good dose of Voltage to prep the power section so more gain based.

Billion81 wrote:

I really think a ton of the smoothness comes from the 6L6 side of the rig-

Look at Lance Keltner's description of Eric Johnson's tireless aquisition of '68 era Superleads- and even then they all get fitted with 6550s, 6L6s, or 5881s.

I agree, the Dumble type amps really smooth things out but live sometimes I have a hard time telling what amp Joe is using.  He gets that big FAT tone no matter what combo he uses leading me to believe that a lot of it comes from how he uses the Jubilee.  You are right  though, Dumble-smooth is a lot smoother than the typical Marshall-smooth.  Interesting about the type of power tubes that EJ uses in his plexis...I've heard this a few times that he prefers 6L6s in his amps.  Lance is a very informative dude on TGP with the inside scoop on all things EJ.  I wonder if he used EL34s in his early days?  The lead Marshall tone from '84-'90 is what makes me go bananas!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

7 (edited by GoT MuLe 31788 2010-01-29 00:55:15)

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
britishbluesfan wrote:

I am currently putting a '69 Metro Kit together and will let you know if I stumble across some JB like settings.  I won't be using it for just that, but copping that huge tone is always a goal that I strive for.  I would try keeping the treble and presense settings pretty low and work with the Bass/Middle knobs.  Ben is also correct about the normal input.  The bright input is better for the '70's-'80s hard rock stuff.  Keep in mind a big part of Joe's warm smooth tone comes from the Jubilee.  The Jubilee is his core sound and he uses the Superlead for flavor.  Try a TS808 or Fulldrive 2 in front of the Superlead if you aren't blending amps...it may get you closer.  Good luck!

The normal input is very dark.  You want to keep the mids up, presence and treble around halfway give or take, and bass around 10 o'clock.

Ben

Edit: PS - its not going to be very gainy, but rather smooth, clean, fat and it will cut through a paired mix of amps well.

8 (edited by Billion81 2010-01-29 03:34:13)

Interesting about the type of power tubes that EJ uses in his plexis...I've heard this a few times that he prefers 6L6s in his amps.  Lance is a very informative dude on TGP with the inside scoop on all things EJ.  I wonder if he used EL34s in his early days?  The lead Marshall tone from '84-'90 is what makes me go bananas!

Yep- that's golden era- I was talking with Moss Hudson of Brownnote @ NAMM who played a gig and shared a bill with EJ way back in the Tones era. He actually got to play that rig that your speaking of. He was super pumped and then.....Clang.. He said it sounded like **##. No joke. And Moss is a really good player and can cop EJ without worry. He said there waay too much swirl on the twins and SSS and the Marshalls were really loud but ultra dark. He said the SSS amp was like a kick to the gut it had so much power.

I saw EJ in '88 time frame and for sure that was the great era tonally. The Electromagnets stuff is also cool but more cranked Fender type sounds and NO delay. Check out Hawaiian Punch for a good example of those tones.

Alan Phillips from Carol Ann has actually done the tube mods on a few of the Marshalls so he knows the whole deal.

Funny-

If I do another Superlead build I will likely do a 6L6 + Superbass mod to it for more of the EJ thing.  That '88 Cliffs of Dover sound is really something.  It was enough for me to be like "Stevie Ray Who?"  J/K but it really changed my life and took my playing in a whole new direction.  I had never heard a Strat sound like that up til that point!

Hey Guys,
        I prefer the SuperLead/bass circuits from 1968. With that said it would be hard to get a smooth warm tone from just plugging straight in to any 4 input marshall. They are cleaner amps by nature.   I would suggest using a tube screamer or chandler tube driver.  Set the amp at a cleaner tone.  (normal channel, bass 4 , mid 5 to 6 treb 4 pres 5 vol 4 to 6 depending on how your amp is running).  Make it so you get that slighty dark Angus tone.  Then engage the overdrive pedal.  Set it to taste.  Maybe add a reverb or chorus to smooth things out a little.  Garnish with a sprig of oregano and dinner is served.  A Les Paul or any guitar with a humbucker will help as well. 
Good Luck
Joe B

How would a Dallas Rangemaster sound into a '68 Superlead? Would it be enough?

I'm sure it would be, I'm pretty sure Warren Haynes does something similar when he uses a Superlead.  He uses the Diaz Texas Ranger which is based off of the old Dallas Rangemaster.  I find that, especially when the amp is cranked up pretty good, very little overdrive is needed.

I recently aquired a 1959 Super Lead RI. I jumper the inputs and roll the Presence and Treble right down. I then use the Vol/Tone knobs on my LP to get a wonderfull smooth, creamy tone. I found this clip which sounds remarkably similar to the tone I am describing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMXLTa8MFjc

I love the Strat tone in this one! 

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

I'm sure it would be, I'm pretty sure Warren Haynes does something similar when he uses a Superlead.  He uses the Diaz Texas Ranger which is based off of the old Dallas Rangemaster.  I find that, especially when the amp is cranked up pretty good, very little overdrive is needed.

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

Billion81 wrote:

Look at Lance Keltner's description of Eric Johnson's tireless aquisition of '68 era Superleads- and even then they all get fitted with 6550s, 6L6s, or 5881s. See a pattern?

Can anyone point me to this?  Couldn't find thru Google.

WoodyTone wrote:
Billion81 wrote:

Look at Lance Keltner's description of Eric Johnson's tireless aquisition of '68 era Superleads- and even then they all get fitted with 6550s, 6L6s, or 5881s. See a pattern?

Can anyone point me to this?  Couldn't find thru Google.

I'll dig it out. You can find it over on TGP. Lance and Eric are tight so he knows his deal. I'll try and find a link to the site.

Here's a couple of amazing clips of Lance and his Metros:

JTM45/100...WOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpyIyjtUPTk

'67 Superbass, this is THE plexi tone as far as I'm concerned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVEivOfB … re=related

He's a great player with great chops.  Not to mention a gear collection that would make most boutique stores blush lol.  For fun check out Lance's "David Lindley Dumble" built by Bludotone.  I can't believe Joe hasn't started using these yet  yikes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuVfyQv2AA