Topic: Marshall Silver Jubilee 2x12

Hey everyone....And you too Joe....need some advice...

I have an opportunity to purchase from a very respected guitar shop in New England a Marshall SJ 2x12 for $1,200 plus shipping.  Spending the money is my first concern but I want to know from those who use and admire them if this is a good deal?  I has some scuffs in the tolex but other than that it sounds great.

Is it worth it...espcially if I am playing in a band that concentrates on the big 3  (Zeppelin...Hendrix...Cream)....

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Re: Marshall Silver Jubilee 2x12

Sounds like a steal to me, swoop that baby up fast!  The heads alone go for $1800-$3000!  It would be a great amp to have if you were looking to do a "mini-Joe" type rig.  I'm pretty sure that Joe has mentioned that he uses a 50w Jubilee 2x12 combo for his lower-volume home/practice rig.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

LesPaul4 wrote:

I have an opportunity to purchase from a very respected guitar shop in New England a Marshall SJ 2x12 for $1,200 plus shipping.  Spending the money is my first concern but I want to know from those who use and admire them if this is a good deal?  I has some scuffs in the tolex but other than that it sounds great.

Is it worth it...espcially if I am playing in a band that concentrates on the big 3  (Zeppelin...Hendrix...Cream)....

It sounds to me as though you have answered your own question:

" I has some scuffs in the tolex but other than that it sounds great."

IMHO $1200 is a good price for that amp.

My .02
  Good Luck,
  fuzzy

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

LesPaul4 wrote:

Woah...wait a minute,  just the speaker cab or a 2x12 combo?  Too much for a 2x12 good price for a combo.  a 1966a or b 2x12 should be about the same for less than half the price.  The sj has gt12-75s or something better?

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Tell him $1075 shipped - thats what I'd do off the bat tongue

Ben

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

Ben

ROFL always hunting for a killer deal!  Hey the worst he could say is "no" I guess!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

7 (edited by fuzzy wuzzy 2010-02-04 04:35:11)

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

Ben

ROFL always hunting for a killer deal!  Hey the worst he could say is "no" I guess!

Now you guys are getting into the negotiation phase, ultimatly you don't want to spend a penny over the $1200, that includes tax and shipping. Alright so you toss $1075 at the guy shipping included....when he says no and comes back with a number thats when you tell him okay it's a deal or that $1200 is it, shipping included, you have to be willing to stand your ground or walk away at this stage of the game unless of course you really want the amp then he's got you by the shorthairs. If picking it up is an option that would save you, or if he's willing to meet you half way to deliver that is good to.

The most important thing is if you really want the amp, make the deal even if he won't budge from his original asking price. I'd be willing to bet that he'd do something for you if all you said was "C'mon ,you gotta do something for me", maybe a few sets of strings and some guitar cloths....

Just give me his number I'll soften him up for you lol
fuzzy

PS I know first hand Bens killer negotiating skills....who do you think taught him.....

LesPaul4 wrote:

WHAT MODEL IS IT?? IS IT DEF AN AMP OR A 2X12 IF ITS THE COMBO  THEN SNAP IT UP !!

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

9 (edited by LesPaul4 2010-02-04 15:48:52)

It is the combo not just a cabinet...Model number 2558..He has it listed at $1,700....I got him down to 1,200 plus shipping....

LesPaul4 wrote:

It is the combo not just a cabinet...Model number 2558..He has it listed at $1,700....I got him down to 1,200 plus shipping....

I think you did good smile

I'd say, that's pretty good negotiation!  Congrats on the new Jubilee man!

Ok...deposit is down on the Jubliee 2x12...but before I finish the transaction I want to make sure I am going to be set with this amp...lol...yeeah like we ever are all set with 1 amp...

I am definitely getting a Marshall....

Are there any good Marshall models that capture that sweet 70's classic Rock tones (Cream/Page/Hendrix) out there with reverb in a head and/or combo? 

What is better a head or a combo as far as tone is concerned?

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Your best bet would be a DSL head, especially the 50 watter.

I'd go with it - its a solid amp and it has that classic Marshall balls.  I don't think you'll be upset by its tone when covering those players.

Ben

It's a good deal.  Buy it, and if UPS doesn't break it you can always resell it for more.

I think you will like the Jubilee its got a great sound, its not the most versital amp if you need good clean and dirty but you can make it work, I have and I love mine, I have the head and a 412. I would love a combo for portablitly but haven't seen one I could afford.

As for other Marshalls with reverb, I have always found Marshall reveb to be rather weak and I end up not using it even if the amp has it. So you won't miss much not having reverb on Jub.

Well the tax man was not very nice to me this year...so it looks very grim for me to pick up this great amp....I am bummed...but I need to keep my purchase under $1000 including taxes and shipping (if applicable)....i will probably kick myself later but the search goes on....

18 (edited by Rik Emmett Fan 2010-03-16 23:13:16)

LesPaul4 wrote:

Well the tax man was not very nice to me this year...so it looks very grim for me to pick up this great amp....I am bummed...but I need to keep my purchase under $1000 including taxes and shipping (if applicable)....i will probably kick myself later but the search goes on....

Here is an amp for you to checkout, http://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/1630121750.html

Here is a review for this amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awjQR_go76M

Goodluck,
Bill