Topic: Joe's Plexi Shield

Joe's amp baffle has been a topic on the forum recently. I thought I would give you all a little background and update.

Joe had a fly in date for a few Texas/Oklahoma shows. He requested an amp baffle. He was using a ClearSonic fender sized cabinet shield placed on amp cases. I asked him what size and built one that had the old Always on the Road logo on it. It was \__/ three piece. When it was retired he asked me to build another. Not just moderator here but tour equipment support as well. smile I asked him what improvements he would like. He asked for it to fold flat so the next one was \/\/ the center panel was cut in two and hinged as well. I got the hinges from Clear Sonic.

Clear Sonic will now be making Joe's baffles so the Jim Moody Amp Baffle business is no more.
So now to get one like Joe's call Chris at Clear Sonic. Kind of cool in 2004 it was Joe who?

Re: Joe's Plexi Shield

Kinda cool, James?  cool  You've been there from jump street, way I hear tell it.  And always kinda cool.

MuchRespect
BJJ FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

very cool. I just made one, and it didn't "sheild" as much as it isolated the mic.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have to say the Jim Moody Baffle company was one of the early endorsers of my little band.  In a way he was the Tucker of the baffle biz.  A revolutionary idea but had all the uber corporate baffle builders against him.   General Baffles and Berkshire baffles and holdings to name a few... Jim remained steadfast and continued to build baffles for me until 2009.  Finally Clearsonic has taken over with the proper ( Jim Moody ) specs.  Thanks to Jim for 6 years of cutting Plexi glass and the 30 or so baffles we went through..  You Rock!!!
Best
Joe B

5 (edited by robbieashe 2010-03-16 18:59:15)

I have designed my own version of the M frame amp baffle Joe uses, as an A frame baffle for a sing 4x12 cab.  It's 24x36 .220 plexi sheets, with anchored piano hinges and a carrying handle.  The A frame baffle materials from Lowe's would be under 70 dollars.  I haven't bought the plexi yet because I was wondering if the .220 size was going to be big enough to handle the frequency response of my amp, or if I should buy thicker sheets.  Do either Jim or Joe have any insight on the baffles that you have had on what thickness of plexi would work best for live/studio isolations?

thanks guys,

Robbie

"Aaaaaawwww Sh*****t!!!"-  Buddy Guy

Joe's is 1/4 inch. It seems to be strong enough to not be too flexible and not too thick that weight is a problem. Joe flys with them and weight is a concern.

jim m wrote:

Joe's is 1/4 inch. It seems to be strong enough to not be too flexible and not too thick that weight is a problem. Joe flys with them and weight is a concern.

Right on. That .220 plexi is about that size so that should work. Thanks Jim!

"Aaaaaawwww Sh*****t!!!"-  Buddy Guy

Hi Jim.  Do you know where i can find the section that Joe wrote about how he gigs his delay and effects through his amps?  I just cant find it and i believe you may have been envolved in the discussion when Joe posted a reply to the effect of ; "OK guys. This is how the delay thing works"...or words to that effect.

jim m wrote:

You find it up in the sticky threads.
Her you go: http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1377

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de