Topic: Replace Texas specials in my Strat (correct section this time)

OK
    I have searched the forum and there is already lots of good info on this subject already, I swapped my middle texas special pickup on my strat with an old one i had from a jap 80s strat and really prefer the sound so much. so I have found myself using it to solo on. it is much clearer sounding ITMAS, So I now find my self going full circle and instead of higher output pickups I think I want lower out put . I loved the sound of Joes sparkle strat for reference . so question is what type of pickups should I be looking for Fender CS 59s,69s  Lindy Fralin blues any suggestions based on what I have said thanks D.

Ok

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

Re: Replace Texas specials in my Strat (correct section this time)

STRATOVARI - do you have a link to info on the Franklin Rosswell mojo bues pickups  thanks D

My personal opinion is the Fralin Blues pickups... However you also said you wanted low out put pickups so I think you should look into the Real 54's.  The Blues pickups are lightly overwound.  If you want less power and keep the solos clean the real 54's are a great pickup.  The Blues pickups are slightly raspy with distortion with more midrange to help the single note solos.

Here the link to the Rosswell pickups.

http://www.thorndal.de/pickups/pickups.htm

Its in german, so I translate the Mojo Blues text:

Franklin Rosswell Mojo Blues     
Warm 60s sound with clear defined overtones.
Cuts through without sounding insistent.
Available also in rwrp. For strat and tele.

They came with my Thorndal strat. So I'm not sure how much they are.
If you are interested then pm me and I can help you with the response.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

If you can find some of the Fender 57/62 PUs from the early to mid 80s, you'd probably have everything you're looking for. They are my favorites.
    Later, maybe late 80s, they "improved" them, and I'm not a fan of those. Anything from say 1984 or before.

And many times, you can find them on Ebay, etc. for a good price.

Also, the GFS stuff is inexpensive and nice.

Rio Grande Tallboys are another top choice.

However, there are mant good choices. But, it really does take lots of hands on playing and critical listening.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

thanks guys I will keep my eye on ebay that way I can resell if they are not the ones if I buy new and they dont suit then I loose out either that or I ll try a few guitars out in guitar stores to see if I like anything

thanks Derek

This guy will custom wind to your specs. and they don't sound 'new vintage' they sound 'old vintage.'

I've owned GFS (good value and cheap)
Rio grande (very dark sounding)

Smits sound vintage correct, if you've ever played a 50's or 60's strat, he can nail the vibe in his pickups. he also guarantees satisfaction.

http://www.smitspickups.com/

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

8 (edited by Bruce Wayne 2010-03-20 05:44:02)

Budda wrote:

Also, the GFS stuff is inexpensive and nice.

that's what I just put in my Squier Strat (Premium Alnico Texas l36).
Bridge Pickup HOT 9.4K
Middle Pickup 5.5K
Neck Pickup 5.35K
http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo … eourb.html

It was $135 for a prewired pickguard with 500k pots,new 5 way switch and the pups. I really like the sound when running it through my Boss Blues Driver (my amp is a Epiphone Valve Junior,5 watt tube). I'm just learning to play,and I'm on a budget. if a had a "real" Strat I would have put the Texas Specials in it.

I'm currently doing a strat project and just can't decide on the pickups. I have been thing about the fender CS 69 or the 57/62 set. Then there are the more expensive from fralin, lollar and bare knuckle etc. With my strat I'm looking for a philip sayce/ mato nanji type of sound.

Fuzz

I love the Seymour Duncan SSL 5 as a bridge pup. Really beautiful pup. I have Lollars in my Parts-o-caster and they rock too.

"Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips...."

JB LP Goldtop No. 290- Aged...rather like me.

If you try the 57/62s I definately recommend looking for early to mid 80s models. The newer ones are also great though.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

When I shopped for new pickups, I wanted it to sparkle like a strat (without the ice pick) and I didn't want it to be "SRV, or texas"... which I found out means dark and sometimes muddy in my opinion.

As a Les Paul player, I wanted the piece of mind that when I plugged in a strat, I would get a stratty tone.

I think the amp you are playing should have a big influence on what pickups you select. The wood of the body and neck of the guitar also make a big difference. I went with alnico 5 custom wound pickups in my strat that has a basswood body and maple neck because it simply wasn't lively enough. In my ash body with rosewood neck, I have alnico II's.

The best my Texas Specials ever sounded was through a Hot Rod Deluxe. Why? It was a really REALLY bright sounding map, and texas specials are reputably dark sounding single coils.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I would get Lollar vintage hot or Blues specials with BASS PLATE in bridge and or look at Lollar Dirty Blonde hybrid set IMO.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

When I shopped for new pickups, I wanted it to sparkle like a strat (without the ice pick) and I didn't want it to be "SRV, or texas"... which I found out means dark and sometimes muddy in my opinion.

As a Les Paul player, I wanted the piece of mind that when I plugged in a strat, I would get a stratty tone.

I think the amp you are playing should have a big influence on what pickups you select. The wood of the body and neck of the guitar also make a big difference. I went with alnico 5 custom wound pickups in my strat that has a basswood body and maple neck because it simply wasn't lively enough. In my ash body with rosewood neck, I have alnico II's.

The best my Texas Specials ever sounded was through a Hot Rod Deluxe. Why? It was a really REALLY bright sounding map, and texas specials are reputably dark sounding single coils.

So far my favorite single coils are Seymour Duncan SSL-1 pickups.  I also have a set of antiquities but I like the SSL-1's better.  I also have a set of Custom Shop 54's in a strat, and they are great too...but the SSL-1 have a great strat sound.  I hear the SSL-5 is a great bridge pickup.

Amps: Hand Made JTM-45, 18 Watt TMB, AB763 Pro, Route 66 Clone.
Guitars: 2007 R8 Les Paul Iced Tea Burst, Refinished 83 Les Paul Studio, , Homemade 50's S style guitar.
Effects: Micro Vibe, CryBaby, Fulldrive II, OCD, Fat Boost V1

My dads got seymour duncan alnico pro's II and thats the best quack sound I've heard in single coils that I've tried.  GFS is great stuff, my main guitar has them in it.  Its an american Series Strat and kills any texas specials I've ever tired.  They are the 60's overwound which I think are 9k, 6k, 4k.  Little killers are great too but not so strat like.  My best advice is don't go for an overwound pickup go for a low powered pickup.  If you want a sharp attack go for alnico 5 in what ever brand you want.  If you want a soft attack go for the alnico 2 it has a lowwer magnetic pull so your notes will come out like velvet.  Go for a 3 or a 4 if you want that in between sound.  Better yet let me sum it up easier.   Country, Modern, and anything with loads of distortion go for a alnico 5.  Everything else go for Alnico 2... really not fair to bunch them in like that because tastes are different but that might help you a little bit.

In my experience....    You cant save a dead strat.  Pickups will do little to improve the tone of a neck and body that is not working.  I did this 15 years ago and it cost me a fortune.  Its better to search out another guitar that just works start to finish..
Best
Joe Bonamassa