Topic: Epiphone JB Les Paul

Hi all,

I think I have missed out on getting a Gibson JBLP, so I may have to settle for the Epiphone ones that are rumoured to be created soonish.

Does anyone know any more about the Epi versions of Joe's Gold Top LP?

Thanks,
Devan

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Re: Epiphone JB Les Paul

I sure wish I did.

I'm really bummed that it is an unaged guitar. If I got one, I'd be tempted to age it to match the Gibson ones. Also, the Vintage Icon series JB copies look mighty tempting too.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

There's a rumor floating around that Gibson will release another 50 of the "Inspired by Joe Bonamassa" LPs in that blue finish. So there may be hope for those that missed the boat on the first go around. Some of the original 300 still appear from time to time on the secondary market so you just have to keep scouring the internet.

Major Tom to ground control...

RICjunkie wrote:

There's a rumor floating around that Gibson will release another 50 of the "Inspired by Joe Bonamassa" LPs in that blue finish. So there may be hope for those that missed the boat on the first go around. Some of the original 300 still appear from time to time on the secondary market so you just have to keep scouring the internet.

So where did you hear that rumor?  I have been searching for some time now and cn't find any bit of evidence on this...

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

I was in Manny's Music (sam ash) in manhattan a few months ago and they had one of the original 300 gold tops there, They might still have it if your interested.

Guitars- Gibson 1960 V.O.S Les Paul, Fender Eric Johnson Strat, Martin SWOMGT.
Amp- 1967 fender vibrolux reverb
Effects- Ibanez TS-808, BBE Two Timer, BBE Soul Vibe, Vox V847, Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, Tonebender MKII, BK Butler Tube Driver.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I will keep scouring the internet to see if any of the original 300 come up for sale.  I thought about placing a 'wanted to buy' notice in the marketplace on here perhaps?

@1960LesPaul - thanks for the tip about Manny's Music - I have just sent them an email and keeping my fingers crossed.

@NBP_EST.1979 - I'll check out those Vintage Icon one's too...in the end though, there is something about having that 'Gibson' logo on the headstock.. smile

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

that's what I did and got some really good leads.  Also, Guitar Center was showing sold out, nothing available.  I called my local GC and got lucky with a very helpful sales manager.  He was able to check other stores and found one in Illinois that two weeks earlier showed as sold.  Keep calling and looking.  They are out there but hard to find.

It would be nice if we could Pre-Order a JB Epi

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

It would be nice if we could Pre-Order a JB Epi

+1  I thought the same thing.  I imagine these will be a limited run as well...

1960LesPaul wrote:

I was in Manny's Music (sam ash) in manhattan a few months ago and they had one of the original 300 gold tops there, They might still have it if your interested.

As a watcher (and buyer) of the JBLPs my summary of the production so far is

1 - 250 are Aged Goldtops.

251 - 275 are unaged Goldtops - Most went to Wildwood Guitars and Private Reserve (part of Musicians Friend I think).

276 is Blue but arrived at the Customer a broken headstock - my friend bought it and it has since been repaired and sold in the UK. The Guitar Shop custom ordered a replacement which came through as 281 - That's the one in my picture. Joe owns 279 (Blue) and the one sold on ebay by GBrats and recently sold in Spain on ebay by another trader had serial no 28x most likely 280 as it predates 281. My guess is that 276 - 281 are all Blue

That still leaves 19 of the original 300 quota unaccounted for.

The rumour about 50 more blue ones came as a quote from Joe by a poster on this forum - see the LP register thread.

Pete59 wrote:

Just after posting that I find this...

http://www.rainbowguitars.com/guitar/gi … /HB061C/GB

Looks like no 282 - aged Gold - different from my aged one in that the crazing is much more and headstock has been drilled for Klusons and then replaced by Grovers.

Pete59 wrote:
Pete59 wrote:

Just after posting that I find this...

http://www.rainbowguitars.com/guitar/gi … /HB061C/GB

Looks like no 282 - aged Gold - different from my aged one in that the crazing is much more and headstock has been drilled for Klusons and then replaced by Grovers.

Very different from all the JBLP's I've seen. Looks good though. Why on earth would anyone drill holes and put Klusons on such a guitar???

Ok guys and gals...  Here is the lowdown on the Epi JBLP...  It came out great, it is unaged.. After much research and keeping in mind that the price needs to be affordable especially to younger kids.  ( my whole intention of doing the model). I decided to keep it unaged.  As for the custom shop JB's there will be a run in Sunburst.   Wildwood guitars in Colorado is doing them.  I have seen a few pics and they look cool.  I am actually really excited to see the finished product.  As for the Blue ones... The Lucky 5 (yes 5 mine was the last one) of us should should hold on to them. They look like they will be the rarest ones.   I am not sure how many Sunburst will be made... That I will know shortly. 
Your source for all things Joe B......
Joe B.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Ok guys and gals...  Here is the lowdown on the Epi JBLP...  It came out great, it is unaged.. After much research and keeping in mind that the price needs to be affordable especially to younger kids.  ( my whole intention of doing the model). I decided to keep it unaged.  As for the custom shop JB's there will be a run in Sunburst.   Wildwood guitars in Colorado is doing them.  I have seen a few pics and they look cool.  I am actually really excited to see the finished product.  As for the Blue ones... The Lucky 5 (yes 5 mine was the last one) of us should should hold on to them. They look like they will be the rarest ones.   I am not sure how many Sunburst will be made... That I will know shortly. 
Joe B.

Will there be a Blue Epi? I should have bought a Blue JBLP when I had the chance.
I just happend to be on the phone with Wildwood when I saw this post.

I cant wait to see the Sunburst.

Time to save some cash...

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B.

Any idea on how much the Epi JBLP will be and when it will be released, or is that all hush hush? I fall into the category of your younger fan base at the age of 18, and I will definitely plan on buying one when they come out.  cool

Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

AJS19 wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B.

Any idea on how much the Epi JBLP will be and when it will be released, or is that all hush hush? I fall into the category of your younger fan base at the age of 18, and I will definitely plan on buying one when they come out.  cool

I also fall into the Epi category - not because of age (I am 45), but because I have a wife and a mortgage so a Gibson JBLP can be but a dream at the moment.

Can't wait to see these come out.

17 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2010-04-28 14:15:56)

I'm seriously contemplating getting a JB Epi and having it aged like an aged Gibby JBLP. that'd be so cool.  big_smile
I think JB forum fans should be allowed a pre-order  cool

I'm 14 but currently have a Epiphone G-400 and would definatly look at adding a JB Les Paul. Epiphone can make good guitars especially for the price.
Keep Rocking Joe!!!

2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom 68RI VOS Ebony
Marshall JVM410h