Topic: Joe's Gibson ES-355

Just saw Joe lastnight in Cleveland, as always, it was an absolutely AMAZING show!! I took 4 "bona-virgins" to the show and they all loved it as well, Saw lots of forum members, and finally got to meet Libby from the forum as well. Naturally, I want every guitar Joe played last night, but my favorite of the evening was the ES-355... The tone he pulled from that guitar was glorious. I got a chance to talk to him about it before the show, and he told the funny story about acquiring it! I was looking at the new 355's but they don't have the Veritone switch, which is something I totally want! I guess I just gotta save my pennies and find a vintage one :-D

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: Joe's Gibson ES-355

Logan, I have a 2003 ES-335, and even though it doesn't the veritone; I love this guitar. It has the classic "57 pickups and the tone is amazing. Play one and see what you think.

Tom

#275 JB LP

I think that one is an ES-345 if it's the one he played in Riverside. (Red finish?) I asked him after the show if that was the one he snagged on EBay. He told me it was manufactured the same year as the one that Freddy King owned.

I've also seen Joe with a Black ES-355. He played that one at the Tralf in Buffalo 3 years ago. We were seated pretty far back so I couldn't confirm that it was a Lucille.

Major Tom to ground control...

I want to say its a '67 355, I talked to him a bit about it before the show lastnight... He said its the only year that they stamped "Gibson" on the puckup covers... I will check out a 335 too! As for right now, a red 345 with gold hardware is calling my name....

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Logo33 wrote:

I want to say its a '67 355, I talked to him a bit about it before the show lastnight... He said its the only year that they stamped "Gibson" on the puckup covers... I will check out a 335 too! As for right now, a red 345 with gold hardware is calling my name....

Logan

71/72 - I collect those covers religously smile

Ben

awesome Ben,
If you come across a gold pair that you dont snatch up, could you let me know?

Logan

I agree with an earlier comment, that ES-345 which are the same thing as a ES-335 but with fancey 6 ply binding and other cosmetic features.  Varitone is very cool but stereo jacks are even cooler with the guitar.  I'm sure Gibson fitted 335's with it at some point but the new ones you'll either go with a BB King signature model which is a 335 but no F holes, or you'll have to go for a 345.  Either one are nice and sexy.  I didn't have a varitone switch on my 335 but it was still a very good guitar.  It was believed to be a 1968 model that was refinished so I got it for $2000, when I sold it we found out it was really a 1964 ES-335 by the serial numbers.  nothing was original but the acoustics of that guitar are totally amazing, I've played acoustics that didn't resonate as good as this simi hollowbody.

Logo33 wrote:

awesome Ben,
If you come across a gold pair that you dont snatch up, could you let me know?

Logan

I would, but I don't pass them up LOL.  I have like a dozen complete sets now I think.

Ben

The Guitar is a Late 72-early 73 Gibson 355.. I signed up for ebay under the name Joe Bonamassa I bought it from a guys who was listed as Mr Shades... It was the most traumatic guitar buying experience of my life.. Pay Pal this and that... I got a really special guitar from it though.. but Im done with EBAY... Too much nonsense for this cash and carry guitar buyer..
Joe Bonamassa

Couldn't agree more.  Ebay eeesh

Logo33 wrote:

Just saw Joe lastnight in Cleveland, as always, it was an absolutely AMAZING show!! I took 4 "bona-virgins" to the show and they all loved it as well, Saw lots of forum members, and finally got to meet Libby from the forum as well. Naturally, I want every guitar Joe played last night, but my favorite of the evening was the ES-355... The tone he pulled from that guitar was glorious. I got a chance to talk to him about it before the show, and he told the funny story about acquiring it! I was looking at the new 355's but they don't have the Veritone switch, which is something I totally want! I guess I just gotta save my pennies and find a vintage one :-D

Logan

Hey were you the one with the Breedlove?  Can you fill me in on that guitar?  It sounded amazing...

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

It was the most traumatic guitar buying experience of my life.. Pay Pal this and that...
Joe Bonamassa

It takes people who are on computers the majority of the day to be comfortable. PLUS, as you know - it's not like to get to play it before you buy it. So it's a gamble.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

xcorporate wrote:
Logo33 wrote:

Logan

Hey were you the one with the Breedlove?  Can you fill me in on that guitar?  It sounded amazing...

I think you can still get a "Lucille". They have the varitone switch. I have a Blues Hawk with the varitone switch. The jury is still out at this end on it.

Major Tom to ground control...

Xcorporate-

I picked up that breedlove for like $500 new at guitar center... I ended up getting rid of my middle of the road Taylor because it sounds so much better. It's just a korean made, lower line model, but I think it seriously sounds better than a lot of $2,000 acoustics!

Logan

My '72/'73 Les Paul Custom has the best neck profile I've ever felt on a guitar. This, admittedly COULD be because I've been playing it since I was 14, but I always keep an eye out for anything in those years.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

The Guitar is a Late 72-early 73 Gibson 355.. I signed up for ebay under the name Joe Bonamassa I bought it from a guys who was listed as Mr Shades... It was the most traumatic guitar buying experience of my life.. Pay Pal this and that... I got a really special guitar from it though.. but Im done with EBAY... Too much nonsense for this cash and carry guitar buyer..
Joe Bonamassa

Joe, the thing I've learned about ebay is that it can be and is a very effective tool for the lay person or enthusiast. Lets face it, a guy like you can within reason I'm sure, get every guitar or amp or anything that you lust after and probably can even write it off on your taxes and thats just great and well deserved. However, for most of us making a living in our various fields of misery, ebay is an awesome tool to get quality gear at a good and sometimes a great price. Sure its a gamble but I have yet to be burned and find most sellers to be honest.
  Now I'm curious, did you get a good deal on that sweet axe or did you pay Rudy's $'s.

smile
fuzzy

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe