Topic: Baffle or Attenuator

Hi.

I have a 38 watt Dr Z Max head and 2x10 cab.  I can only get the master to about 8 or 9 o'clock at the most as the thing is sooooo loud.  Thinking of getting a baffle like Joe from Clearsonic (roughly £100) or wondering about an attenuator, maybe the Dr Z AirBrake (£279) as I have read very good things about it.  How much would the baffle help? I'm worried about killing the tubes on my amp if I use the attenuator.

Thanks

Re: Baffle or Attenuator

From my perspective it depends what you want.

If you don't want it to be SO LOUD, I'd get the attenuator and always carry an extra set of tubes (used or new) on you. You'll get the desired volume no problem. Though I wouldn't worry about killing the tubes. I'd just change them out every year and preamp tubes every other (or even third) year. Consider it upkeep.

If all you're worried about with being too loud is the people in the front row, you could get a baffle, or even Weber Beam Blockers. Either of these will block the "straight on" direction from the speakers to the audience. If your high end is shrill or even ear piercing when you ear is across from the speaker, you might just want to get a baffle or beam blocker.

One thing I would try before you buy (even though it is not luxurious) is to turn your cab around backwards... facing a corner or the wall. It will work the same as a baffle, and you 'might' be able to turn it up louder without it killing you. Joe has done this with some Fender combos during guitar clinics, and my brother has done it before for coffee shop gigs.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

mickieblue wrote:

Hi.

I have a 38 watt Dr Z Max head and 2x10 cab.  I can only get the master to about 8 or 9 o'clock at the most as the thing is sooooo loud.  Thinking of getting a baffle like Joe from Clearsonic (roughly £100) or wondering about an attenuator, maybe the Dr Z AirBrake (£279) as I have read very good things about it.  How much would the baffle help? I'm worried about killing the tubes on my amp if I use the attenuator.

Thanks

Put it this way..... I used a baffle on Friday night (as usual), but I placed it JUST a bit too near the 40 watt marshall,,, and lets just say both volumes were on full  lol
If, for some reason, you're unhappy with the attenuator, baffles are always superb, I mean, Joe uses 100 watt heads... and theyre on like... seven?  yikes  Lol

Rus

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Baffle.  cool

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Baffle... Why?  because with an attenuator you lose your clean headroom.  With the amp full out but shielded you will be able to get a wider variety for sounds from whatever your guitar is.  My recommendation would be a clearsonic fender twin size baffle.  You will be way happy with that and have a few extra sheckles in your pocket..
Joe B

After reading about the Metro on full and playing for a while each day (which I do)...could I afford to have a baffle?  lol TooManyTubes!!!
I play my KT88 Orange on 4-8 for about an hour every day...it has lasted me a year so far I believe. No baffle...I just hide in another room and put up with smashed mirrors and windows...

Baffle! I had a THD Hotplate once.  It was not for me.  It altered my amps tone and screwed up my modulation effects out front. (No effects loop in the amp I was using)

we have been experimenting with a baffle and they can make a huge difference to sound. It takes a while to get used to as moving to and fro makes a difference. With time you get to know where to place the baffle for particular venues. Best thing is is having the amps up full and controlling volume for the guitar.

Thankyou to everyone that replied and especially Joe, your opinion is always and important one.  Have been in contact with Ashdown Audio Visual who stock the Clearsonic gear.  Thanks

Guitar Center/MF can getyou one from DrumOne for about $60.00 or so. Look into the Drumstuff online in the GC site. Kinda hard to find, but they also have the ones for guitar amps.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Iv been thinking about the baffle i am not sure what to do for these reasons!!
I understand that you can get the amp louder (which will sound better) without killing the crowd and your ears, but will it swallow up the tone???
Or will it give you a dynamic to your sound?
Also i finally found uk distributors for clearsonic but for the 3 piece plexi they want £280!!!! plus del=£20!!!!!!!!!
Is it worth it? is it cheaper to build one?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yikes

Steve, your replies always sound very desperated...  lol
Its easy to build baffles yourself. You can buy plxi shields in these tool stores.
Then connect them with hinges. Voila! I'm quiet happy with my homemade baffle.
It looks not that charming as a clearsonic but it does the job and cost me about 30$ and 2 hours work.

http://www.delle-away.de/gitstuff/01.jpg

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Stratovari wrote:

Its easy to build baffles yourself. You can buy plxi shields in these tool stores.
It looks not that charming as a clearsonic but it does the job and cost me about 30$ and 2 hours work.

Alex

Im terrible im always trying to get things sounding like joe , i do not want to be him but i love what he has done to the guitar world he has given me new life for my guitar playing and sound!

Thanks for your help i kind of knew it will be cheaper to do it myself!!

stevebonamassive wrote:
Stratovari wrote:

Alex

Im terrible im always trying to get things sounding like joe , i do not want to be him but i love what he has done to the guitar world he has given me new life for my guitar playing and sound!

Thanks for your help i kind of knew it will be cheaper to do it myself!!

Hey straovari im very gutted because you have a ceriatone hrm or ots?  its all i need to complete my super rig!!

Has anyone used the Faustine Phantom attenuator?