1 (edited by Bluesbreaker 2010-05-04 12:49:11)

Topic: Celestion Vintage 30

What's the verdict? I've read mixed reviews. I'm planning to have a 2x12 cab for my 18/36 watt Marshall clone head.
Style is Blues and Rock, of course. The overdriven sustained tone of Gary Moore.

Edit: What speaker cab would you recommend? I have this in mind:
http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_in … ts_id=1365

Re: Celestion Vintage 30

V30's are extremely bright. So if you do get one, I would offset it with another speaker to counteract the shrill of the v30. Marhshalls sound good with v30's because Marshalls tone stack builds on the bass and sound darker, so the v30 brightens up the delivery. IMO

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I used to put V30's in everything during my hairmetal days in the 80's/90's.
I find them too spiky for my gray-haired bluesrock, but V30 together with e.g. Greenbacks sound OK in a 2 or 4 x 12''.

I have a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 box with Vintage 30's for my Jubilee and I don't play metal, they sound good but if I could do it again I would get the G12H or mix the two G12H's with the V30's. I used to have the G12-75 those are dogs unless you play a lot of metal!

My preference would be celestion greenbacks

but G12H and V30  Sound awesome together

in openback cab IMHO

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

I have two Vintage 30s lying around with me and never really knew what to do with them. When I saw this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI I liked the V30s best!
So I thought let's put them in a 2x12 cab. I can see the appeal to combine one of them with a G12-30 maybe.

I would go with Surrey made Greenbacks over the V-30's.  V- 30's have a lot of cone cry..  Try to snag yourself some Rola era 65's watter Celestions.  Those are personal fav... Good Luck.
Joe B

I like the greenbacks on the JTM 45/100s but they are not so good for front pickup cleans-

I just pulled some G12H 30s out of my Marshall cab as I needed a higher powered speaker so I have some for sale if you are interested. Killer rock speaker and good for single coil clean.

My brother-in-law has a Vintage 30 in his Orange Rocker 30 amp. Very bright, perfect for his sound which is very Telecaster brit rock; harsh, brittle, punchy. Depends on the sound you want.

1989 Fender Strat plus (mahogany body, maple neck, lace sensor pickups, locking tuning heads, steel double roller nut)
2009 Ibanez AK-95
2007 Crafter accoustic
2009 Egnater Rebel 30 amp

Thanks for all your suggestions. They're much appreciated. Pre-Rola Celestions would be ideal but won't materialise in the near future.
I'll try the V30s in my new cab first, simply because I already have them. If I don't like them I can always swap things around with Greenbacks and/or a G12H30.

I have a lovely new 2x12 made by Paul at Zilla Cabs.

he designed it rather like the Two Rock Vertical 2X12's as it was made to use with my Ceriatone Overtone HRM.

I have a Vintage 30 and a G12H. the Vintage 30 sits at the top of the cab and provides the top end and the mids while the G12H has a nice low end growl to it.

I am very happy with both speakers.

You can't go wrong really...

Guitars: 95 Les Paul Standard, Relic Strat,
Amps: 1973 Marshall JMP 50 head and Vintage Modern Cab. I use no effects other than a Cry Baby on occasions.