Topic: Les Paul Standard vs Traditional

Hey everyone-

I was just wondering what the differences are... and what you all would choose. I have heard that the traditionals are great, but I found a standard plus with an absolutely beautiful top. Hope someone doesnt snatch it up before I can save up the money for it!

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: Les Paul Standard vs Traditional

Was it a new standard say build in 08 or newer or old than that because they are very different guitars. THe new Standards have an A semetrical neck so its thicker on the low E string and thinner at the high E string, they have chambered bodies, They have coil spliters and might have a tone pros bridge I also think they have Burstbuckers. There nice guitars but not everyones flavor.

The Tradional are built more like the Old Standard have a Classic 57 and a Classic 57 Plus - the Triditional Pro has coil splitters and a more of s 60's thinner profile neck, and a I think a Burstbucker pickup and a Classic Plus pick up but I am not sure.

Now the older standards say before 08 where different depending on the year.

There are a lot different Les Pauls out there, my best advices is play them all and pick the one you like and that sounds the best to you. I have an 09 Traditional Plus and I wouldn't trade it for the word.

No I don't think either guitar has coil splits.  The Les Paul Traditional pro does but not the Traditional.  Another big thing about the 08 Les Paul Standard is the wiring is a circuit board and the input jack locks the instrument cable in place and can't be released unless you press the release button.  Oh strap locks come standard on both.  Last is a Pleked fret board.. The Traditional also only comes in the 50's rounded profile unless you get a traditional pro.  Should have about a 2 pound weight difference between the 2.  Honestly for the money I like the Traditional better.  The standards neck profile is a D shape on top and a C on the bottom.  You can't even tell a difference when you first try it, but play it for 2 or 3 hours and you and your arm will thank you.  But I like fat necks so go fat!  Burstbucker pros are really hot pickups and I think you'd like them better then 57' classics and 57' classic plus.  Personally I really recommend the Traditional Pro.  Its cheaper then all of them and you get a 57 classic plus in the neck and a burstbucker 3 in the bridge.  Both pickups are coil split and you get locking tuners so pretty much its the best of both worlds minus the flame top.  If your just wanting a flame top go for the Standard plus top.

I guess im really just looking for a nice flame top without shelling out the 4-5k for a '59 RI. I'm thinking it's gonna get the Peter Green treatment, and I'll probably add in some vintage wiring as well, so I guess im just looking for a nice top!

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

some of the early 90's Les Paul Classic series guitars had outrageous tops.  They were actually in some ways better than the R-9's .  I think those could be had relatively reasonable.  Some of the standard USA models these days look great.  Play good too.  They have the authentic 50's neck.  More 58 than 59 but who cares.. If you are gonna do the Peter Green/ Gary Moore thing my advice is to try to do it yourself with the pickups in the guitar first before buying a pre outta phase set.  I think the guitar acts more natural.  On mine.  Dave did the modification buy reversing the magnet.  The volume pots act the same and retain the original charm of the guitar.   Best Peter Green tone...  Bass pickup volume 5  Lead Pick up volume 3 to 4..  Thats the tone I use on the intro to Sloe Gin These days.
Good Luck Searching.. Thats part of the fun...
Joe B

Has anyone looked at a Steve Morse Musicman Y2D, as an alternative to a Les Paul? I'm pretty sure Joe has one (saw him talk about it somewhere on Youtube the other day)

My heart is set on a 57 Reissue GoldTop, but next week I'll head down to some of the guitar shops in Tokyo and check out the Y2D. Just wondering if anyone has one, and what they think.

cheers
kevin

You never know what's going to happen.....