Topic: BK Butler Tube Driver

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a BK Butler Tube Driver, for all of the obvious reasons, and came across a "Real Tube Overdrive by Bk Butler".
I can't seem to find much info on this pedal. Is it similar? There is a guy in Toronto selling one for $120...but the BK Butler Tube Driver's seem to be around $300...
Is anyone fimiliar with the Real Tube Overdrive? Will I get the 'Violin' tone out of it?

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

Re: BK Butler Tube Driver

Plugging the Tube driver into a amp will not achieve the violin tone..  I have three tube drivers and they are all different.  Try the Genz Benz one.. that is actually the best in my opinion.  Also using a 12AT7 in them helps..  To get the violin tone.. you need a real plexi Marshall set at 5 or 6..  a fender Spring, a delay or echplex and the tube driver. 
Hope that helps..
Joe B

Thanks Joe. This really helps! The "real" Plexi may be a bit of an issue though - I have the re-issue  sad

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Plugging the Tube driver into a amp will not achieve the violin tone..  I have three tube drivers and they are all different.  Try the Genz Benz one.. that is actually the best in my opinion.  Also using a 12AT7 in them helps..  To get the violin tone.. you need a real plexi Marshall set at 5 or 6..  a fender Spring, a delay or echplex and the tube driver. 
Hope that helps..
Joe B

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...

That cool Joe, I also prefer a lower gain NOS preamp tube in my Tube Driver.  I have the 3 knob Tube Works/BK Butler model like what Andy Timmons uses.  Joe is 100% correct about the voilin tone.  You need a cranked up Plexi style amp with the Tube Driver, Echoplex, reverb, and optional compressor.  EJ use to use a TC Sustain in the old days. I love my Keeley Compressor to fill those duties.  Also don't overlook the effects of a non true bypass wah on the signal path.  I get a way better violin tone when my Vox wah is in my chain (really helps mellow the sound).

Suggested Tube Driver settings: Volume 9-10 o'clock, all eq knobs to "0", and gain to taste.  My gain settings are between 11 o'clock and noon.  Don't forget the 12AT7 or 12AU7 tubes.  They are a lot less harsh and the gain is much more controllable with these tamer tubes.  Good luck.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Thanks Justin - I'm still hunting around here for a Tube Driver but can only find a Tube Works Real Tube Overdrive by BK Butler and a Tube Works Blue Tube 903...not sure if these are what I'm looking for...

Genz Benz?  They don't make a tube driver, they make amplifiers...?

I own a 1999 Genz Benz bk butler tube driver.  I guess they are rare... I have used it a bit on the BC record.. its ace.. and I payed 90 dollars..
Joe B

Genz Benz acquired the rights to Chandler.  So now they are the same company.  BK is still in business though.  I own a 910 and a 12AU7 will make the best sound in the world.  I will slightly disagree with JB here in the need for the plexi, although the route he suggested is certainly correct.  Though he is one of the high priests of tone (much respect JB), one fact was overlooked: two BK TD's stacked through a cranked black face bassman or bandmaster.  Of course no Fender guitar, instead a G&L Legacy!

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

I am on again off again with my Bk Butler Tube Driver w/bias mod.  I definitely need to try a 12at7 or a 12au7 in mine.  It can be a little harsh and raspy and I assume that is because I still have a 12ax7 in it.  The only other problem I have had is getting it to cut through in a band situation.  You guys are going to ignite my GAS for a plexi.  Just once I would like to play through a rig that has the late 1980's EJ tone on Austin City Limits! I'll bet the Good Lord has those rigs lined up in Heaven! Is it also true that Tube Drivers work better at high volumes?

*notes down the value of the G.B Tube Driver now 10x the price*  wink  Cheers, Joe. hahaha

I went for as close as I could get to an original Tube Driver. BK released a small pocket of reissues a couple years ago that are spot-on with the originals, that's what I've got. I ABed it with an original and there's no difference...

I haven't played with any of BK's later pedals though so I can't weigh in on that end.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

kevman13 wrote:

Thanks Justin - I'm still hunting around here for a Tube Driver but can only find a Tube Works Real Tube Overdrive by BK Butler and a Tube Works Blue Tube 903...not sure if these are what I'm looking for...

Check The Gear Page dude, they are on sale there quite often for way better prices than eBay.  A new BK one with the bias will probably run you between 250-300 bones.  And yes, they do sound way fatter when played through a cranked non mv amp.  EJ's drummer noted that his volume actually decreases when he steps on the Tube Driver so that's how I set mine.  Slightly less than unity volume and it really makes a big difference.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Ok this post is a tad old but I thought I'd update it. After gassing big time for a Tube Driver and  looking around here for a used one for monthes to no avail, I broke down and ordered one from eBay from BK Butlers site ($374 Canadian everything in - ouch!). Sould be here by Friday and I can't wait! I will be sure to post some clips for those interested.

I have a tube driver from the man himself. Freaking love it!!!!

Keep in mind, what works for one, may not for another. There's many of us who've gone through a pot load of fx pedals. Some we keep, others are passed along or sold. Which makes me ask the question: "if this thing your selling is the cats ****, why are you selling it?"

Something to think about.

Stay Safe
me

It arrived today!! I am looking at it now in my office - can't wait to get home and crank it up. The tube inside appears to be a JJ ECC83 - is this a 12AX7?

kevman13 wrote:

The tube inside appears to be a JJ ECC83 - is this a 12AX7?

Yep

kevman13 wrote:

It arrived today!! I am looking at it now in my office - can't wait to get home and crank it up. The tube inside appears to be a JJ ECC83 - is this a 12AX7?

Get a feel for the pedal with that tube but IMO I heard a DRAMATIC improvement in mine with a NOS JAN 12AU7.  There is so much gain in these that you actually get a much more musical and usable range with the lower gain tube.  The 12AU7 also tames a little of the spikey-ness of the JJ 12AX7.  I feel that it's easier to get the "violin" tone with that particular tube.  Congrats on the BK Butler Kev, it's one I'll never sell!

18 (edited by jakey 2010-07-13 03:13:36)

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
kevman13 wrote:

Get a feel for the pedal with that tube but IMO I heard a DRAMATIC improvement in mine with a NOS JAN 12AU7.  There is so much gain in these that you actually get a much more musical and usable range with the lower gain tube.  The 12AU7 also tames a little of the spikey-ness of the JJ 12AX7.  I feel that it's easier to get the "violin" tone with that particular tube.  Congrats on the BK Butler Kev, it's one I'll never sell!

I have one for sale- £160. It's the bias model. I agree re the 12AU7. If anyone wants mine, email me noplanb@btopenworld.com

Now, this is one of the staple Gilmour pedals, and it's still a very good pedal, yet I think they're crap compared to the Kingsley Jester, which is in another league. If you want Sloe Gin in a box, get a Jester. Jester does basically the same, but about 4 times better.

Pete Cornish will give you chapter and verse why they are shite and what they do in terms of tone suck when in a chain but switched off.

"Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips...."

JB LP Goldtop No. 290- Aged...rather like me.