Topic: Mesa Boogie MKIIB question

I know Joe recently picked one of these up so I thought I'd ask.
I recently purchased my original 1981 MKIIB back off of the guy I sold it to back in '96.  It's a non-reveb/EQ model with a EV12L.
After I cleaned the pots and replaced the power tubes, the amp sounds great except when the presence is up past 4 or so.  Mostly noticable in the lead channel - there's a hi end fizziness.  The tone is great but I'd like a little more cut.  Any suggestions on smoothing this out?

Re: Mesa Boogie MKIIB question

Hey Danny - I've got a MkIIB (no Reverb, No EQ) as well - Cool!

You probably know that all the Mesa 'Mk' series amps are difficult to 'dial in'.  I am still in the experimental stages with mine after nearly 2 years of owning it.

I am playing a humbucker guitar through it at present, and I currently, I have wound the presence back to about '3', and I also keep the Bass and Middle settings around '1', nice and low and turn up the Treble to about '8', and Volume1 to about '9'.

I find instead of an 'ice pick' trebly tone, this gives me a nice warm, lush fizz.  Oh yeah, I turn the Tone knob on my guitar back to about a '5'.  When I switch to the lead channel, the sound gets even better IMO.

I'd love to trade tips with you on the IIB.  I would also love to get Joe's feedback and tips on dialling in this great little amp.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Haaa... My amp exactly..  the Mark 2 b. is great for a warm Steve Lukather tone.  Thats why I wanted one.  Its the "Break Down Dead Ahead" Boz Scaggs tone.  The Mesa's are buzzy sometimes and act crazy.. I have 8 of them at the moment.. various models.. Mark 2, 1 2b, 3 2b with a 15 EV-15L are some of the notables.  They are all good but have issues in some way.. Too bright past 4 , too clean then full on shred.. ect.  Welcome to the world of the unknown.. They are cheap and cool.. With a 335 you can get the Two Tickets to Paridise tone.  How cool!!!!
Joe B

Joe - dead on, I find that sometime the tiniest tweak on one of the knobs will result in massive tone (and volume) differences.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post that I just started using an Analogman Comprosser, and I am using it mainly to 'drive' the signal to the amp a little harder which leads to a nice tube breakup and remove a lot of the high end ice pickiness.  A lovely combination for soloing, but I find that it kills the nice crunchiness of my power chords, so I will have to play with it a bit more.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Thanks Devan and Joe.  I owned this amp originally from '81-'86.  Always regretted selling it.  The guy I sold it to offered it back to me and I grabbed it for $500.  It's mint...still in my roadcase with the EV12L I put in it.

It does sound great with my 335.  I find it very early Carlton sounding

Ok, so it's not a problem with the amp.  It sounds great with the presence below 4 so I'll leave it at that.

Great tones.  Using it as a smaller rig for samller venues.  Just that and a small pedalboard. 

My settings at present are
Input 7
Treble 7 w shift pulled
mids 4
lows 4
master 1  at 2-3
gain 5
master 2 3
Master 2

presence 3

very similar to my Fuchs ODS settings...hmmm except treble is 11:00, mids at 11:00, and lows at 12:00

For those of you who are into Mesas but want a really dark sounding amp check out the Mesa DC series.  My buddy has a DC-3 and it's a really fat little 1x12 combo.  Great sustaining, smooth overdrive from that amp.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I agree.  I was into Mesa Boogie for years.  MKIIB, MKIIIC, 50/50 power amp with studio pre and lastly a DC5.  Great sounding indestructable amp.  Still have it but it's been in storage since '07 when I got the Fuchs.

Just pulled it out to compare with the MKII.  MKII has a nicer dynamic reponse but I was surprised that I could dial the DC5 in to get a close MKII sound...albeit darker.

Just found a MINT MKIIB on Kijiji here in Toronto and the guy wants $1200!! Everything is overpriced here... sad

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

$1200 is on the high side.  I got mine ridiculously cheap at $500 but I've seen them go for between $800-$1200 depending on options and condition.  Great amps to have though.