Topic: Just Got Paid.

Hi all,
     This may or may not be the place to post this.. Jim M will move it if needed.  I had the opportunity to watch ZZ Top closely last night.   I did notice one glaring thing.  I have been playing "Just Got Paid" in standard tuning all these years.  BFG played it in open e.  It made more sense being that it is a slide song.   His tone was massive.  Especially with the Les Paul.. Call me bias.  but they were great and I really dug opening the show.  Shortest show in almost 3 years for me. 
Joe B

2 (edited by Icon 2010-07-07 04:32:15)

Re: Just Got Paid.

C'mon Joe - brush the dust off the Lectraslide and give us a treat sometime! cool

I guess that might make morphing into Dazed & Confused a little tricky though!

Saw ZZ at Wolverhampton Civic last year - those guys put on a fantastic show.

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Love your music Joe, you're a great slide-guitar-player. What about you do just the song as you always do only with slide in the solo's? ;D. I'm seeing you this year at north sea jazz ;D

I don't charge for mistakes. - Joe Bonamassa

So, did both you AND Billy F. Gibbons play Just Got Paid in the same night on the same stage, albeit not together?  I bet you refused to play it so Billy ended up schoolin' yah! tongue Just kidding, but you know what I mean!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

In response to Joe's comment:

to be honest I like your version better than the ZZ Top version...

but that said.. the slide parts in the zz top version (studio anyhows) are pretty effective...

i'm sure you'll figure something out..?? Slide during JGP and then standard tuning on D&C..?
Bass could keep playing the riff..?

plenty of opportunity to change guitars during the middle part between JGP and D&C...?

you are the expert..!!

"My Caravan...! Has gone and departed...!"

Cool!  Just when we think we know sumpn...

You might not have seen it on FB, but I said I'd give you a dollar if you'd ask Billy if he hung up on Mark Knopfler.

I want my MTV
Yeah buddy that's his own hair.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Rooster07 wrote:

In response to Joe's comment:

to be honest I like your version better than the ZZ Top version...

but that said.. the slide parts in the zz top version (studio anyhows) are pretty effective...

i'm sure you'll figure something out..?? Slide during JGP and then standard tuning on D&C..?

plenty of opportunity to change guitars during the middle part between JGP and D&C...?

you are the expert..!!

...... or even put one of them twin necked Musicman monsters to full use! wink

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

8 (edited by BBJ 2010-07-07 09:18:02)

Your version works just fine for me, Joe.....  and ZZ's does too. I agree with Icon. Massive scope here for the use of one of those doubleneck beasties.

'Try as you might to keep a lid on a good time, you can't do it. When people want to have a good time....' - Billy Gibbons

The 2009 North Sea Jazz Festival Version was completely amazing.

I prefer your version to ZZ Top though

Rooster07 wrote:

... Slide during JGP and then standard tuning on D&C..?

you are the expert..!!

Or use a TransPerformance automatic tuning system ala Jimmy Page smile

Hi there

I'm coming to see you Joe and ZZtop,  Friday in Nimes arena. Hope to see you and Billy play this song (or another) together.

I also prefer your version of "Just got paid" more powerful

Two different animals. ZZ Top's version is just wicked cool, just a full bluesy ballbuster of a song. Joe's is supersped up to hard rock excellence.

Yeah, I noticed he played it in open E a while ago, when he was fretting differently than what most people do when they're playing it. Billy is so cool. I'd like to hang out with him for one night. Grab some bbq, some tequila and just go cruisin', but not while blind.  tongue

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Makes sense, and it reduces that big jump from the low 'G' back to the high 'E' to recycle the riff - which I think is one of the coolest guitar riffs I've heard in a long time...

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Joe, for a hybrid version of JGP (part your version / part BFG's version) you definitely need a new doubleneck guitar: Top half Flying V, bottom half Les Paul.
Name: Flying Paul.
I'm sure the guys at Musikman would build you one. smile

BTW - I'm playing that lick in a different way. In standard tuning, but I play the first 2 notes on the D string (frets 0 and 2). That means I don't have to move my hand up and down the neck, but I need to pick "across 3 strings" (E to D string). To me that seems easier...  hmm

Rusty Fingers

"Tradition is not worshipping the ashes, but carrying the fire."

Well it could go in other artists becasue of the ZZ Top mention. Or it go in General Topics because everybody would like to know when you post here and not everybody checks this section. I say let it ride here cause it is guitar talk.

As for the tuning thing. I got over the fact you didn't play the slide part the second time I heard your version. You tune your guitar any way you like and you post any where you like boss.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hi all,
     This may or may not be the place to post this.. Jim M will move it if needed.  I had the opportunity to watch ZZ Top closely last night.   I did notice one glaring thing.  I have been playing "Just Got Paid" in standard tuning all these years.  BFG played it in open e.  It made more sense being that it is a slide song.   His tone was massive.  Especially with the Les Paul.. Call me bias.  but they were great and I really dug opening the show.  Shortest show in almost 3 years for me. 
Joe B

I knew today was gonna be a good day. I turned on the radio and they're playing "Burning Hell". Then I check here and learn that the master got a lesson from another master. Joe for you to come on here and make this statement just proves what a honest man you are.

I would love to see you and The Rev Billy jammin' together!

See ya in Rochester and Wilkes-Barre. I'm bringing along my new JBLP for you to sign if you have time to do so please

Stay Safe!
me

This thread belongs right here!

Spider wrote:

[

'Secrets from the master to the disciples, hidden from the masses.  tongue

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:
Spider wrote:

[

'Secrets from the master to the disciples, hidden from the masses.  tongue

Ain't no sea that can't be crossed, ain't no ship that can't be lost,
Ain't no horse that can't be rode, ain't no man that can't be thrown...

Rock ON & Keep the Faith in Discovery of All Secrets Mode,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”