Topic: Carmine and Stevie Ray Vaughan

last night having a nostalgia moment with my son, showing him my old vinyl record collection and hooked out David Bowie's "let's dance" album to show him Carmine's name to see again underneath it what I knew already but had not thought through, - the fact that SRV also played on that album. So got to thinking did the 2 of them record and play live together at all?

Did a quick search and found the "official Bonammassa fan website" page on him: http://bonamassalive.com/the-band/carmine-rojas/ but no mention of the facts. Looks like SRV did not tour http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/da … 87848.html anybody know more?

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Re: Carmine and Stevie Ray Vaughan

As you probably know already SRV turned down the tour so he could continue with Double Trouble and follow his own course.

As to whether he and Carmine met in the studio, I don't know, but I am sure someone here does  big_smile

Carmine maybe would like to comment?  cool

Yes they met in studio. SRV literally backed out of the tour at the last minute when Bowie wouldn't let Double Trouble open the tour as promised is the way I understood it. Earl Slick was called in for the tour.

jim m wrote:

Yes they met in studio. SRV literally backed out of the tour at the last minute when Bowie wouldn't let Double Trouble open the tour as promised is the way I understood it. Earl Slick was called in for the tour.

Would've been the best chance David Bowie ever had of getting me to his show, since I was not an adult during the Spiders From Mars era...I was just getting into Stevie Vaughn then.
I had been deep into The Fabulous Thunderbirds (far prior to the Tuff Enuff boost) instead.
Oh well.

Rock On & Keep the Faith & Yur Promises,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

jim m wrote:

That's the way Stevie saw it.  'Wanted me to abandon Double Trouble...'   Also POed about the video.  Looked like Bowie played the solo.  Shortly thereafter more stunts mixing "Living in America."

Busted, disgusted, agents can't be trusted...  hmm

NoLove
FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

6 (edited by Sonicboom 2010-08-10 01:43:35)

FWIW, I recall a video interview with someone from SRV's camp (former manager or someone like that) saying that everything about the Bowie tour was highly orchestrated.  They even had a costume for Stevie to wear and rehearsed the way he was to walk/sashay down the ramp that was on stage on cue.  This person also went on to say that Stevie was too spontaneous for that level of detail and soon got fed up.

Sorry, but I can't see Stevie "sashaying" anywhere.  Bowie, yes, Stevie, definitely not!

Guitars: '79 LP Custom, '01 Dickey Betts Goldie - 80 of 114, '00 Chandler Lectraslide
Amps: '00 Marshall 1987x, '70 Marshall 1959 SL, 4x12 JBL D120s
'64 Vibroverb - JBL D130, '66 Super Reverb - CTS Alnicos
'77 Peavey Deuce (great for melting stubborn ear wax)

Sonicboom wrote:

FWIW, I recall a video interview with someone from SRV's camp (former manager or someone like that) saying that everything about the Bowie tour was highly orchestrated.  They even had a costume for Stevie to wear and rehearsed the way he was to walk/sashay down the ramp that was on stage on cue.  This person also went on to say that Stevie was too spontaneous for that level of detail and soon got fed up.

Sorry, but I can't see Stevie "sashaying" anywhere.  Bowie, yes, Stevie, definitely not!

That's close to the way I'd heard it, but that Stevie actually did a couple of dates, but couldn't deal with it. Next time I catch up with Joe & Co. I'll have to ask Carmine about it.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Stevie never did any tour dates. He was scheduled to leave for the first date with the band, but at the last second, he balked, and they took his bags off the bus. This is per David Bowie in the Live At Montreux 1982 & 1985 liner notes.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

I got my information from Cutter Brandonberg who wrote a book about his days with Stevie. Mr Cee http://www.mrceecutter.com/front_page.htm

Lots of speculation, urban legend, and literature for profit. I know a guy that can set it straight. I'll let it be known as soon as I get a chance to chat him up on the subject.

Until Then,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

interesting responses, - thanks guys.

I am interested to know more about Carmine's experience of playing with David Bowie now! - Whatever you think of him as an artist (and he may not be your kind of music) he has had a phenomenal career.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Lots of speculation, urban legend, and literature for profit. I know a guy that can set it straight. I'll let it be known as soon as I get a chance to chat him up on the subject.

Until Then,

J Dawg

Well actually, there's no speculation about it. It's a known fact that Stevie never played a single show as part of David Bowie's band. He just did the rehearsals.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

When Pattyluvsjoe and I were at the hotel for the Tulsa, OK show back in 2007, we were talking to Carmine and he did say something about playing with Stevie in the studio and rattled off an exact date... the man has a great memory.....I think he said the month was January. Patty, do you remember?

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

this thread has made Bills fan forum:

Many of you know Carmine Rojas as Joe Bonamassa’s bass player. Did you know he played with David Bowie? There has been a lot of discussion lately on the forum over at Joe Bonamassa’s site. From the way it sounds, Stevie Ray Vaughan was going to tour with David Bowie back in the 80’s. The tour fell through as Stevie Ray Vaughan couldn’t bring his whole band on the tour with him. His full band at that time was known as Double Trouble. Carmine Rojas and Stevie met in the studio while recording David Bowie’s “Last Dance” album. Check out the thread and discussion here. You’ll find a lot of interesting facts that you never knew.

http://bonamassalive.com/2010/08/12/car … y-vaughan/

pst Bill, - the album was "Let's Dance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9k … ature=av2e

Carmine has done a lot work that you would never to get hear about. Call him the 'corrector'  wink He has had an amazing career so far and a fascinating person to talk to. On top of that just about the nicest guy you could ever meet.

mbcl wrote:

Carmine has done a lot work that you would never to get hear about. Call him the 'corrector'  wink He has had an amazing career so far and a fascinating person to talk to. On top of that just about the nicest guy you could ever meet.

It's all an act.   tongue

MuchRicanLove
DoctorFeelgood

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

I wish I had better cyber skills because somewhere there is a photo of Carmine from those days that is vastly differs from his current appearance. Jumpsuit, afro..but I also remember there's a book in his hands. Libby?? I think you found it..     Cathy

Carmine called me from Santorini last night/early morning.  Believe it or not in the course of conversation this topic came up.  I told him that I didn't really get in to it.  He laughed and said clear it up if you want.

Carmine was friends with SRV (and Lenny).  The 1983 "Moonlight" tour was probably Bowie's biggest and most successful tour.  It kicked off worldwide in May of '83.  If you go to Carmine's Fan Page in FaceBook, you'll find a picture of Carmine, SRV & Tony Thompson, etc. (87?)

From Jan to Apr practices, rehearsals & planning were done in NY & Dallas.  Stevie was at home in Texas, obviously and CR hung with them a lot. 

Yes the band was costumed & choreographed.  Carlos Alomar was Musical Director at the time.  It was big time show biz, people... a stage production.  That's the way they did it.  I don't recall there was a problem with SRV being costumed, he was into stage presence & dressing the part. 

But he was upset about several other things.  The "Let's Dance" video was filmed in Australia.  Stevie was not in it and it looked like Bowie played the solo...but Carmine and the others were not in it either; just some actors and extras.  It was just a pop rock video.  I never heard about the other musicians on that tour or recording sessions getting upset about it.  Stevie did.

At the last minute SRV pulled out.  Whether it was him or his management tried to renegotiate, I wouldn't say.  I have seen it before though.  With KISS.  With Sly & the Family Stone.  With James Brown.  The list is endless.

The Slickster was hired on and his luggage went on (figuratively) as SRV's came off.  Stevie went on with Double Trouble and Bowie went on (without Stevie) to tour the world from May till December...  and I bottomed out into a living hell in Miami.   sad   some year.

That tour BTW supposedly sold over 2.5 million tickets.

So yes Carmine knew Stevie & Lenny well.  It was a long time ago.  RIP Stevie.

MuchLove
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms