1 (edited by harald.schreiber 2010-08-16 12:48:40)

Topic: what is so special about Joe`s Flying V ??

Hi all,

i`ve seen Joe live several times and what always impresses me is the sound of his FlyingV. It is so different from his LesPauls, absolutly killer sound!

Does anyone know if this is a regular Korina FlyingV or is there anything special, except for the hands...?

Thanks, Harry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guitars: SelfMade LesPaul; Gibson LP Slash Signature Goldtop; Epiphone 1959 Korina Flying V; Lakewood M32
Amps: Carol Ann OD2 MK2 50W; Mesa Boogie RoadKing 2x12 Cabinet

Re: what is so special about Joe`s Flying V ??

this is a good gear interview where he talks a little about the "V" - about 1min 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TIGS9Ny … lf2St37GLk

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

3 (edited by DaveWammbarro 2010-08-16 13:42:44)

Always felt like it had a hollow honky, more aggressive sound...in a good way. I also feel his 'Bigsby' has a much different over most...it can't just be the extra mass...

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Always felt like it had a hollow honky, more aggressive sound...in a good way. I also feel his 'Bigsby' has a much different over most...it can't just be the extra mass...

Thats exactly what i`m talking about! I love it when he plays LedZep with the FlyingV and everytime when we hear and see him playing it my wife tries to convince me that i must have one...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guitars: SelfMade LesPaul; Gibson LP Slash Signature Goldtop; Epiphone 1959 Korina Flying V; Lakewood M32

Funny when my wife and I saw him here in AZ a few months back and he played the V she looked at me drooling of course and said. "Don't even think about getting a Flying V!" HA HA HA

If you all are interested in a Korina V, but dont want to shell out the cash for a Gibson... I just got a custom Korina V clone made. It is the best guitar I have ever played... Nice chunky neck, and sounds great. I ended up paying 2k plus the price of the specific hardware I wanted. It took a bit for him to finish, but if you all are interested, I can give you his information. I intend on having him do an explorer, and a moderne, for me.

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

harald.schreiber wrote:
DaveWammbarro wrote:

Thats exactly what i`m talking about! I love it when he plays LedZep with the FlyingV and everytime when we hear and see him playing it my wife tries to convince me that i must have one...

Time to clone your wife.  Please send a cheek scrub to me.  I will take care of the rest.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

macg1 wrote:
harald.schreiber wrote:

..... I love it when he plays LedZep with the FlyingV and everytime when we hear and see him playing it my wife tries to convince me that i must have one...

Time to clone your wife.  Please send a cheek scrub to me.  I will take care of the rest.

LOL!

She`s the one! She gave me a Gibson Slash Signature Goldtop as a present for my 40th birthday!

harald.schreiber wrote:

Hi all,

i`ve seen Joe live several times and what always impresses me is the sound of his FlyingV. It is so different from his LesPauls, absolutly killer sound!

Does anyone know if this is a regular Korina FlyingV or is there anything special, except for the hands...?

Thanks, Harry

Flying V sound is in general more aggressive compared to LP. I had a FV and even being a regular '67 RI model it sounded just like Joe's. Korina makes the sound become for bright.

Hope that answers your question. smile

HellRot wrote:

]

Flying V sound is in general more aggressive compared to LP. I had a FV and even being a regular '67 RI model it sounded just like Joe's. Korina makes the sound become for bright.

Yes, that pretty much answers the question. It seems to be that there is nothing really special on Joe`s FlyingV its mostly the '57 Classic Humbuckers and the Korina wood that differentiates it from the LesPauls.

So, for my next guitar build i`ll go for Korina and make some vintage pickups with AlNiCo2 mags and moderate output.

Thanks, Harry

My V is a 1981 A series flying V. I bought it at the  No 1 guitar shop in Hamburg Germany just prior to my performance at the Fabrik in late 2008. It is a great guitar with I believe Seymor Duncan pickups. It has been left completely the way I bought it.  Only thing that has been changed have been the strings.
It's a very cool guitar. I only play the one song on it.  It really has become one with our version of Just Got Paid Today.
Hope that helps. epiphone make a great cheaper version for like 700 bucks. Check them out you  don't want to spend a bunch o benjamins.
Joe B

harald.schreiber wrote:
HellRot wrote:

]

Yes, that pretty much answers the question. It seems to be that there is nothing really special on Joe`s FlyingV its mostly the '57 Classic Humbuckers and the Korina wood that differentiates it from the LesPauls.

So, for my next guitar build i`ll go for Korina and make some vintage pickups with AlNiCo2 mags and moderate output.

Thanks, Harry

Grossen Erfolg!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

My V is a 1981 A series flying V. I bought it at the  No 1 guitar shop in Hamburg Germany just prior to my performance at the Fabrik in late 2008. It is a great guitar with I believe Seymor Duncan pickups. It has been left completely the way I bought it.  Only thing that has been changed have been the strings.
It's a very cool guitar. I only play the one song on it.  It really has become one with our version of Just Got Paid Today.
Hope that helps. epiphone make a great cheaper version for like 700 bucks. Check them out you  don't want to spend a bunch o benjamins.
Joe B

Hi Joe,

thanks for taking the time to jump in on this discussion.
So, your FlyingV is special, it is korina i suppose, but you don`t have the standard pups. I already have an Epi FlyingV (guess why...) but it does`nt sound anything near yours. In fact i was so unhappy with the sound that i was thinking about selling it. Maybe i should give it another try with new pups and electrics.....

Harry

harald.schreiber wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

In fact i was so unhappy with the sound that i was thinking about selling it. Maybe i should give it another try with new pups and electrics.....

Harry

Yeah dude the Epi V's are pretty damn nice playing guitars.  They are also made with light Korina wood from what I gather, just like the Gibson RI's.  But yeah....the pickups in almost any Epi are absolute weak sounding junk.  Slap some Burstbuckers, '57 Classics, SD's, Dimarzios, Lollars, ANYTHING but the stock ones.  Also a nice Angela rewire for a Gibson would really help bring it to life.  Nice pots, oil can style caps, and wires make a big difference in tone IMO.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

There is a Tokai Flying V copy someone is selling locally that I have thought about look at but I really want a Strat but I think I need a pedal board upgrade first thinking about getting an M13