127 (edited by Sjmckean 2011-01-04 08:21:19)

Re: New Epiphones starting to appear?

Coach305 wrote:

Mine arrived this morning (apologies for the lousy photography):

Picture 1

Picture 2

No cosmetic issues, love the neck (I also own a Fender Baja Tele and a Jimmie Vaughan Strat, so I'm obviously partial to the "baseball bat" style  wink ), Burstbuckers sound awesome through my AC15C1.   Needed a minor tuning out of the box, but the set-up (done in Nashville?) seemed fine to me.  Glad to be one of the lucky 1,000...    big_smile

Thet're not bad photos.  I don't think ypu can take bad photos of that guitar!  My second one is being delivered Thursday.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

I can't wait for mine to arrive now? When will they be in the uk? Can't wait to get my hands around that chunky neck! A little off topic but I emailed sims custon shop about turning my violin burst finish tokai les paul into a candy apple blue colour likes Joe's. They said to paint it black on ther back and then apply the custom finish would cost £475. A lot of money but sims would do a fantastic job i'm sure. Problem would be getting the colour close without actually seeing one on the flesh. There's only so much photos of them on the net.

129 (edited by Sjmckean 2011-01-04 13:46:48)

Fuzzblues wrote:

I can't wait for mine to arrive now? When will they be in the uk? Can't wait to get my hands around that chunky neck! A little off topic but I emailed sims custon shop about turning my violin burst finish tokai les paul into a candy apple blue colour likes Joe's. They said to paint it black on ther back and then apply the custom finish would cost £475. A lot of money but sims would do a fantastic job i'm sure. Problem would be getting the colour close without actually seeing one on the flesh. There's only so much photos of them on the net.

I wonder if it would be cheaper if you removed the electronics and sanded it down yourself.  Nice color, though.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/joe% … Better.jpg

http://hellrot.users.photofile.ru/photo … 404562.jpg

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Sjmckean wrote:
Fuzzblues wrote:

I wonder if it would be cheaper if you removed the electronics and sanded it down yourself.  Nice color, though.

The local guitar tech now has a spray booth and he has done some great work for me in the past. I could get him to do it much cheaper but getting the paint colour would be the challenge.

Fuzzblues wrote:
Sjmckean wrote:
Fuzzblues wrote:

The local guitar tech now has a spray booth and he has done some great work for me in the past. I could get him to do it much cheaper but getting the paint colour would be the challenge.

Got mine last night and found a crack in the neck. Gotta send it back and wait until Feb before they can replace it. What a bummer. Got mine from MF.

A buddy of mine got his yesterday.  It had the same twist in the headstock that mine had, but not as bad.  Unless you knew what you were looking for, you wouldn't notice it.  He got his from MF too.  My second one will be here tomorrow.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

You know, with the issues some of us are seeing, maybe we should create a topic for discussion on what a frustration these guitars have been.  Albeit, not everyone, but quite a few of us.  How many more are there that have problems, that are not members of this forum?  For a run of a thousand, you'd think the quality control would have been better.

First time poster, been lurking awhile. Got my Joe B Epi yesterday from M.F. ordered it Christmas day as a self present. No major issue with the guitar, neck perfect no issues with the headstock perfectly normal. Had a 1/4" scratch near the nut on the back of the neck a little black sharpie fixed it and a small ding on the treble pickup that I didn't notice till I put a set of strings on it, strap pins a little crooked as on most Epi's not hard to correct. Put a set of 11's on it and wrapped the tail piece, adjusted the neck to my liking and tweaked the intonation. This thing roars, a lot of guitar for the money, a little mad at first with the little scratch but I plan on playing this thing and putting my own nicks on it any way but it should have been caught in QC it was that noticeable. Any way get em while you can totally worth it!!!

So I got my Epiphone JB LP yesterday and wanted to give my opinion, for what it's worth.  I had to play it acoustically last night, since I have two small kids that were trying to sleep.  When playing it, it felt like a LP, nothing special.  Today I had the opportunity to plug it in, and all I can say is WOW!  The Burstbuckers on other guitars never blew me away, but the BB-2 and BB-3 are amazing individually, and even more amazing together/in contrast to each other.  The QC was excellent on the finish.  Overall, I have zero complaints.  If you were considering one and were shying away because of the naysayers on the Gibson site, ignore them.  Those posts were on there before the guitar was released.  I took a chance and preordered mine, and am very glad I did.  Excellent job Joe and Epiphone!

Cork sniffers! Glad to hear that it's what it should be.

acewylde wrote:

First time poster, been lurking awhile. Got my Joe B Epi yesterday from M.F. ordered it Christmas day as a self present. No major issue with the guitar, neck perfect no issues with the headstock perfectly normal. Had a 1/4" scratch near the nut on the back of the neck a little black sharpie fixed it and a small ding on the treble pickup that I didn't notice till I put a set of strings on it, strap pins a little crooked as on most Epi's not hard to correct. Put a set of 11's on it and wrapped the tail piece, adjusted the neck to my liking and tweaked the intonation. This thing roars, a lot of guitar for the money, a little mad at first with the little scratch but I plan on playing this thing and putting my own nicks on it any way but it should have been caught in QC it was that noticeable. Any way get em while you can totally worth it!!!

Welcome Ace.  Good to hear you got a good one.  Yeah, I had the same little ding in my treble too, but didn't think it was worth mentioning.  It's too bad we have to focus more on the bad stuff with this guitar than the good stuff.  It really does wail and play beautifully!

Chuck B wrote:

So I got my Epiphone JB LP yesterday and wanted to give my opinion, for what it's worth.  I had to play it acoustically last night, since I have two small kids that were trying to sleep.  When playing it, it felt like a LP, nothing special.  Today I had the opportunity to plug it in, and all I can say is WOW!  The Burstbuckers on other guitars never blew me away, but the BB-2 and BB-3 are amazing individually, and even more amazing together/in contrast to each other.  The QC was excellent on the finish.  Overall, I have zero complaints.  If you were considering one and were shying away because of the naysayers on the Gibson site, ignore them.  Those posts were on there before the guitar was released.  I took a chance and preordered mine, and am very glad I did.  Excellent job Joe and Epiphone!

Awesome!  Another good one!

Sjmckean wrote:
acewylde wrote:

Welcome Ace.  Good to hear you got a good one.  Yeah, I had the same little ding in my treble too, but didn't think it was worth mentioning.  It's too bad we have to focus more on the bad stuff with this guitar than the good stuff.  It really does wail and play beautifully!

it's a fact of life though. People are singing the guitars praises as well but for a artist limited edition they shouldn't be turning up with twisted headstocks. Still waiting for mine.

Sjmckean,

Did you get your replacement yet? Interested to know how it looks compared to your first one. I did a very thorough inspection of mine and have no complaints. No scratches or dings anywhere and it plays very well. Not used to that fat neck, but I kind of like it after playing it a bit. I have smaller hands so I was concerned, but my concerns seem to have been unfounded. It's just different and not in a bad way.

My headstock is ever so slightly tweaked, but it isn't at all noticeable and I won't be sending it back to MF. My strap pins are fine. Nice and straight and overall I am very pleased.

Now I just need to plug it in and check out those burst buckers. Never had a guitar with those so I am interested to see how they compare to my Classic Antique with the PAFs. Acoustically it sounds great. I have a preference for Rotosound strings and plan to put a set on in a bit. It's funny how strings can change the sound of the guitar and everyone has their preferences.  cool

Nothin' but the Blues

Man at first I was upset that Zzounds are still showing theirs on backorder,and here I sit drooling over that ya'all have got yours all sounding awesome. BUT now I'm getting worried what shape it's gonna be in when it does get here...   sad  sad  sad  So now I'm sitting here with fingers crossed.

Bluesboy,  my replacement is scheduled for delivery today.  I really hope I get one with no problems.  I agree about the thick neck stock.  It seems playing slimmer necks, I spend a lot of energy keeping my fingers in place and bracing with my thumb on the back of the neck.  This thicker neck seems easier because it fills my palm up.  OK, here come the jokes.  You said you still need to plug it in, but you've had it a week or so right?  Don't you have an amp?  If not, for 200 bucks, check out the Fender Mustang amp they just came out with.  I play a Line 6 Flextone, but I couldn't resist the Fender Mustang.  It's a great sounding amp with quite a few models.

Sjmckean wrote:

Bluesboy,  my replacement is scheduled for delivery today.  I really hope I get one with no problems.  I agree about the thick neck stock.  It seems playing slimmer necks, I spend a lot of energy keeping my fingers in place and bracing with my thumb on the back of the neck.  This thicker neck seems easier because it fills my palm up.  OK, here come the jokes.  You said you still need to plug it in, but you've had it a week or so right?  Don't you have an amp?  If not, for 200 bucks, check out the Fender Mustang amp they just came out with.  I play a Line 6 Flextone, but I couldn't resist the Fender Mustang.  It's a great sounding amp with quite a few models.

You need to play it through an all tube amp (night and day difference over a transistor one).........you'll be amazed and so will the neighbors too!  L.O.L

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Allright, by the weekend (or sooner) I am going to plug in that Epi and see what gives. I may date myself, but I have a Sunn Spectrum I bought brand new in 1967. All tube and rated back then at 125 watts. Separate head and cabinet with a single 15" JBL speaker in a folded horn enclosure. It is loud as hell and except for some new tubes has held up well over the years and still looks brand new.

I have a couple of others as well, but they are transistor and I really want to hook the LP up through an all tube amp. I don't run it too much 'cause it scares the dogs and my neighbors. Hmmm, maybe it's my playing and not the amp lol !

Anyway, I'll let you know how it sounds. Maybe I'll even hook in the pedal board...... wink

Sjmckean, I hope your new guitar is awesome. I sure wouldn't want to have to send it back again.

Nothin' but the Blues

Just my Epi JB in a week or so ago... smile ....this is just what I hoped for.....craftsmanship is excellent, intonation was almost dead on, nearly in tune....case will meet my needs but not extra heavy duty.....been playing it through an Egnater Tweaker w/ 4-10 cab (Tech 21) and absolutely in love with the sound...the Burstbuckers really get the job done....I believe that if you put this guitar through any good tube amp, you'll be in heaven.  It has made me spring for an Epi 56' Goldtop w/P90's....I love guitars in pairs....if the 56' is anywhere near the quality of the JB, I'm a happy camper..

http://www.4shared.com/photo/OPFUuIiE/U … 00-01.html

only one question?...anyone know how to get another Epi Straplock?  Would love to use the strap....I'd even settle for a correct sizing of the strap button....later.

cowboy