1 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2010-09-12 19:19:10)

Topic: Tube amp left on standby

So... being the dummy that I am, I went and left one of my Fender tube amps on standby from Thursday night all the way until Sunday night. So, do I need to replace any tubes? Or should I live by the addage if it plays, it's fine?

They were New JJ tubes new in early 2010. with probably only about 10 hours playing time on them.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: Tube amp left on standby

No you are fine, turn it on and play through it. A lot of my amps when I get them I leave on for at least a day.  Amps that sit for long periods without use will usually break down. Don't sweat it. But watch leaving toast in the toaster for that long.
Joe B at 36,000 feet over west Texas

3 (edited by t92780 2010-09-12 19:38:07)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

No you are fine, turn it on and play through it. A lot of my amps when I get them I leave on for at least a day.  Amps that sit for long periods without use will usually break down. Don't sweat it. But watch leaving toast in the toaster for that long.
Joe B at 36,000 feet over west Texas

Joe, that brings up a good question,  I've never had to change tubes yet due to minimal play, what are the signs/sounds when it's time and what tubes do you like to use if ok to ask  thanks?

Edit:  I have a Ceraitone OTS 50-watt amp = Dumble clone.

t92780 wrote:

Joe, that brings up a good question,  I've never had to change tubes yet due to minimal play, what are the signs/sounds when it's time and what tubes do you like to use if ok to ask  thanks?

Edit:  I have a Ceraitone OTS 50-watt amp = Dumble clone.

I've heard when you find yourself turning up your highs and you lows to get the tone you know is in your amp but previously achieved at lower levels you could change power tubes. On an amp that I play normally, I'll change my preamp tubes every 3 years and power tubes every year or so. If I don't hear a postive improvement in tone, I'll at least have some good backup tubes.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

So... being the dummy that I am, I went and left one of my Fender tube amps on standby from Thursday night all the way until Sunday night. So, do I need to replace any tubes? Or should I live by the addage if it plays, it's fine?

They were New JJ tubes new in early 2010. with probably only about 10 hours playing time on them.

Eddie Van Halen used to 'Crash test' his amps as he liked to put it by turning everything up, plugging in a guitar and thowing it on the floor to feedback. He then used to close the door to the studio and go on vacation for like 3 weeks. When he came back if the guitar was still ringing through the amp he knew the amp would endure the tours...

Then again Eddie is one crazy mutha...

Guitars: 95 Les Paul Standard, Relic Strat,
Amps: 1973 Marshall JMP 50 head and Vintage Modern Cab. I use no effects other than a Cry Baby on occasions.

Tube amps left on standby should only use a bit of the heater life. The electric bill will suffer though.  neutral
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Left mine on for over a week once.  No issues at all.

chooseyourblues wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Eddie Van Halen used to 'Crash test' his amps as he liked to put it by turning everything up, plugging in a guitar and thowing it on the floor to feedback. He then used to close the door to the studio and go on vacation for like 3 weeks. When he came back if the guitar was still ringing through the amp he knew the amp would endure the tours...

That's the story I always think of when thinking of bomb-proof amps. Military grade for EVH.

DaveWammbarro wrote:
chooseyourblues wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

That's the story I always think of when thinking of bomb-proof amps. Military grade for EVH.

So....if he came back and the studio was burned to the ground it was for a good cause? lol

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Try playing it.  If anything you broke them in.  If you think about it, some of the original satellites in space had some form of tubes used in their electronics.  Those are powered up for days, weeks, months, even years.  So I'm sure you'll be fine.

"Just enough gear to play what I want to hear"

11 (edited by DetroitBlues 2010-09-23 09:49:03)

That's how Eddie signed off on his signature 5150 Peavy Amp head.  But it was for a weekend, not 3 weeks.

"Just enough gear to play what I want to hear"

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Like Joe said it should be fine. In standby there's just 6 volts going through the heater filaments in the tubes. The power supply and filter caps will be all charged up ready to go but not doing any work. The rest of the amp is off.

The hardest part of the heater filaments life is when it is turned on. The resistance is much lower when it's cold so it pulls much more current initially while it warms up. Filament light bulbs are the same, they generally pop as you turn them on for exactly the same reason. It's also why amps have anti-surge fuses. So you'd probably cause more stress on the filament switching the amp on and off.

EVH probably changed his amps tubes every time he did a show...

When my Dr. Z's tubes wear out the amp starts to really sag - it loses it's "sparkle" and the tone gets flat and dull.  It gets hard to play through because it just sounds so off.  It's really obvious.  Like others have said, leaving on standby shouldn't be a problem, and if the amp still sounds fine then you shouldn't worry about it.  Always good practice to bring extra tubes when playing live, though, regardless what shape the amp is in. smile

Interesting details Pete59, thanks!

Guitar World mag said the new EVH III was tested for a Month that way.  This was dated 2007.

DetroitBlues wrote:

That's how Eddie signed off on his signature 5150 Peavy Amp head.  But it was for a weekend, not 3 weeks.

When I first got my head, it needed to be biased... tech told me I was cooking the tubes. Not my fault! I just got the thing! ahahaha I still have the same tubes in there, and I think they're ready to be changed. hmm Like you said, lost its sparkle and cleans don't sound right.

My jr. started to become microphonic and feed back for no reason at any volume.  I would flick the tubes and it would stop sometimes