1 (edited by Big E 2010-09-16 11:53:07)

Topic: Lets Talk Wah Wah!

So I am going to slowly build my pedal board back up and phase out my ToneLab LE for live use. I don't use the models live just the effects and I like most of them but the layout is a pain. The way its setup I can only use either Wha, OD, Compressor or Univibe which makes this a real pain live switching patches. I figure If I start with a wha I can then set the Vox for something else and use the expression pedal as a volume pedal.

Anyway I am looking for a inexpensive wah around $100 new or used, so most High end stuff is out, no Fulltone or anything. So what do you guys have and what should I be looking at. My main concern is TONE SUCK!!! I have a Jim Hendrex Cry baby wha on loan and its a tone sucker, I have an old 80's morely that sounds bad and is a tone sucker. I have used a seperate vox wha and I like the sound but again huge tone sucker, I used to have an 80's Cry baby that was ok. So what I am looking for is something that is true bypass, I realise this might be hard in this price range. I also tend to like the classic 60's wha ala hendrex tones and like the tone of most Vox wahs.

There are quite a few wahs on Creigslist locally mostly the standard Cry Baby which I have ruled out because of tone suck.

There are a lot of Cry baby 535Q's I like that there are a lot of opitions to customise your sound but the reviews say they have faulty switches, There is one Budda Wha and one buddy guy wha in my price range locally as well.

So I guess what I need from you fine folks are what have you played what do you like and what else should I be looking at?

Re: Lets Talk Wah Wah!

I use a Buddy Guy wah and works fine for me -new $149.00 delivered on e-bay stores or get a Teese Wah used on e-bay right now for $149.00: 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Real-McCoy-RMC-5-Te … 3f032b6ac3

I might try the Teese if it was up to me - make great wah's IMO.

The "tone sucK" that you are experiencing is a product of a non true bypass wah.  Most of the budget minded wahs aren't true bypass, but there are a few.  I personally like the high end attenuation that most wahs give you, especially because I'm a Strat player.  Hard to tame the highs on those things sometimes....

I'd check out the BBE wah.  It's very adjustable, true bypass, sounds good, and looks pretty cool too.  It's pretty much the same price as a standard Vox but has more features.  I'm happy with my run-of-the-mill Vox though.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

BBE makes a pretty nice wah, I don't know if it's true bypass though.  Probably the best part about it how easily it switches on and off.

The sound is your standard wah sound and it has a control knob on the side that can increase the sweep, or kind of make it quack more.  I think it is a little salty on price buying it new.  Everything is though.

I just use the standard Vox wah, not a big wah user but you can't have a pedalboard without one. -Seth

The BBE is on the short list I think I am going to try that and the buddy guy wah out.

I guess I'm weird. I ask jeorge tripps who makes my custom crybabys to leave the non true bypass old style switch in them.  I like the high end diversion. It's easy to add it back.  But any Wah with a true bypass switch will sort you out.  I'm using a straight Hendrix reissue in my BCC board now and I love it.  Although I think I'm gonna swap it for one of Jeorges.  I used that one on a song called Beggarman.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Joe Bonamassa

Yep - it's the Hendrix wah for me too. I mentioned in a previous post that I had tried them all and for some reason it just sounds/works the best. The best part is I got it used for $40  big_smile.

Joe - what would Jeorge do to your custom built wahs? Better components? More reliable?

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

I had a older style Hendrix Wah from about 10 years ago and the difference between the Standards and the Hendrix was the sweep was much smoother while engaged.  No difference while it was off.  Look for anything with a part called a Fassel.  Its some sort of ressistor or something.  The Standards do not use them because they are cheaper and use a silicone part that replaced the Fassel.  They sounds much more naisley then the ones with the Fassel's.  They all used to use Fassels back in the 60's and early 70's.  They cost about $20 more.  Still should be under $100.

Funny I keep having this interal argument saying to myself. "If a standard wah is good enough for Joe Bonamassa then it should be good enough for me, the I hear myself play and go oh yea thats right you don't have an ounce of the talent that  Joe Bonamassa has! HA"

I have been looking at wha's with a Fassel. I have an older Hendrix wah on loan from a friend I am going to use it this weekend and at our out door bonfire gig.

I bought a standard Crybaby wah from a friend for 20 bucks in 1999 junior year of high school. That was my first guitar pedal and thru out the last 11 years its the only pedal that has never left my pedal board. I keep looking forward to the day that it does break so I can justify buying a fulltone but the stupid thing wont break.  I made a promise to myself years ago that I wouldnt replace it until it broke or sounded bad. It sounds great and is indestructable.

Good luck finding one you like.

Hah - right on. Played a gig Sat night and had lots of comments about my tone. One guy came up during the break and just stared at my JH-1 wah. He couldn't believe the wah tone  he heard was from a Cry Baby. He didn't believe me when I told him it was stock... cool BTW - get used to that pedal staying on your board - they ARE indestructable!

jgalvan8804 wrote:

I bought a standard Crybaby wah from a friend for 20 bucks in 1999 junior year of high school. That was my first guitar pedal and thru out the last 11 years its the only pedal that has never left my pedal board. I keep looking forward to the day that it does break so I can justify buying a fulltone but the stupid thing wont break.  I made a promise to myself years ago that I wouldnt replace it until it broke or sounded bad. It sounds great and is indestructable.

Good luck finding one you like.

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

Well I used the JH-1 on Saturday and it sounded preaty good and the tone suck wasn't as noticable as I thought. I also had the Jubliee much louder since it was outside and after some tweeking the tone was really nice. The guitarist in the other band was playing a Dave Casle modded Plexi and I thought the Jub sounded better. I should of had him play through my rig because he is a hell of a guitar player.

Like Joe, I prefer the non-true bypass ones.  Give me either the old stock Cry Baby or the std issue Vox and I'm good

Come on! The guys at the gear pages say unless I buy a guitar pedal that cost more than my house the others can't be any good.

I do like the standard Vox Wah I could buy that and then mod it if I can't live with the tone suck.

Big E wrote:

So I am going to slowly build my pedal board back up and phase out my ToneLab LE for live use. I don't use the models live just the effects and I like most of them but the layout is a pain. The way its setup I can only use either Wha, OD, Compressor or Univibe which makes this a real pain live switching patches. I figure If I start with a wha I can then set the Vox for something else and use the expression pedal as a volume pedal.

Anyway I am looking for a inexpensive wah around $100 new or used, so most High end stuff is out, no Fulltone or anything. So what do you guys have and what should I be looking at. My main concern is TONE SUCK!!! I have a Jim Hendrex Cry baby wha on loan and its a tone sucker, I have an old 80's morely that sounds bad and is a tone sucker. I have used a seperate vox wha and I like the sound but again huge tone sucker, I used to have an 80's Cry baby that was ok. So what I am looking for is something that is true bypass, I realise this might be hard in this price range. I also tend to like the classic 60's wha ala hendrex tones and like the tone of most Vox wahs.

There are quite a few wahs on Creigslist locally mostly the standard Cry Baby which I have ruled out because of tone suck.

There are a lot of Cry baby 535Q's I like that there are a lot of opitions to customise your sound but the reviews say they have faulty switches, There is one Budda Wha and one buddy guy wha in my price range locally as well.

So I guess what I need from you fine folks are what have you played what do you like and what else should I be looking at?

So all those pedals suck tones (that's partly why they are so cheap) but if you look online you'll find loads of sites that teach you how to make those pedals true bypass.  My only advice is don't buy them used.  I've gone through three wah pedals and only the new ones sound good.  The wah pedals are easy to work on, especially crybaby gcb-95 and vox 847.  I really like the 845 but I haven't seen its inside yet.

"Just enough gear to play what I want to hear"

DetroitBlues wrote:

So all those pedals suck tones (that's partly why they are so cheap) but if you look online you'll find loads of sites that teach you how to make those pedals true bypass.  My only advice is don't buy them used.  I've gone through three wah pedals and only the new ones sound good.  The wah pedals are easy to work on, especially crybaby gcb-95 and vox 847.  I really like the 845 but I haven't seen its inside yet.

I bought the 845 and took it right back.  Massive amount of tone suck in bypass.  It's almost a direct copy of the 847A, only it had the input buffer removed.  Otherwise, almost the exact same pedal.  I'll keep buying and modding the regular 847's as the 'A' model uses SMT components (so does the 845) which are a huge pain to work with.

Here is a great link on how to mod your Wah.  I've done this to about 20 wahs so I can verify that these mods work. 

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

OR, you could just buy this...  big_smile smile

http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/Merch … ode=cat002

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn