Topic: Marshall Class 5 - sadly gone....

Well...after another brief love affair with a Marshall Class 5 (3rd one!) rattles appeared AGAIN  sad . I am extremely disappointed - not just in the quality of the amp but that it sounded so good before the rattles start. I dragged it back to the store yesterday and rather than get yet another one I decided to swap for a Fender Blues Jr III. The new BJr III has an upgraded speaker, vintage style handle and jewel light, black control panel, "Sparkle Mod", new knobs and EL84 vibration/rattle dampers (THAT sold me  big_smile ). It cost me an extra $80 to upgrade to this amp from the C5. After plugging it in and fiddling about late last night I am very happy I did the swap. For a brand spankin' new amp this thing sounds gorgeous! I couldn't really crank it last night as the kids were sleeping but it sounded so smooth, deep and clear that I couldn't stop playing it.

I LOVED the C5 when it was working good but it wasn't versatile at all and caused me tons of grief.

Goodbye Marshall Class 5 - hello Blues Jr III.

I'll try and post some clips tonight if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

Re: Marshall Class 5 - sadly gone....

I had a similar problem with my class 5. Mine went back to Marshall and it still rattled when it came back. I got rid and also got a blues junior. I loved the class 5 sound with an OCD up front but hated the rattle. I had a clean out and got rid of the ocd. Gonna try a box of rock to Marshall it up. Glad you like the junior.

A Box of Rock with a BJr should sound great. I had one and it's one of the better "Marshall in a box" pedals I've tried. The Class 5 I had was the "first edition" meaning it didn't have the newly designed back panel, etc. Maybe the new ones don't rattle but here in Canada there does not seem to be any of the newer ones in stock.

Fuzzblues wrote:

I had a similar problem with my class 5. Mine went back to Marshall and it still rattled when it came back. I got rid and also got a blues junior. I loved the class 5 sound with an OCD up front but hated the rattle. I had a clean out and got rid of the ocd. Gonna try a box of rock to Marshall it up. Glad you like the junior.

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...

You know Fender might be on Joe's hit list but you can count on one thing with them.  They still put out quality Tube amps.  Most people look for Fender for the Cleans, but my Version 2 Blues Jr. has enough dirt to make me happy and is still loud enough to play out with!  Lets see a Class 5 do that.  Think the upgrades are wonderful like the black pannel I can't tell you how much it sucks to be playing out somewhere and decide to make an adjustment with that chrome pannel.  I think you'll have a long and happy life together and most of all a vibration free life.

I had to get my Class 5 repaired, but the rattle didn't go away. Marshall took the amp back and I got the money back. They didn't even want to try to repair it, which says a lot.....

Sad, but true. I liked the sound of it.

My dealer says that approx 20 % of the Marshall amps they sell (not just Class 5's), requires repair. What's happening with Marshall?

André

My Fender Blues Junior with the Bill M mods IMO smoked my brother's Class 5. Needed the Fulldrive II MOSFET though! wink

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have both the class 2 blues jr and the marshall class 5. I combined them at a jam a few weeks ago (marshall cranked for the dirt and blues jr set clean both at matched volume) sounded AMAZING! That clean distortion with nice tight bottom end. BEAUTIFUL! I use it as a small stage set up and love it. No rattle out of my class 5 either.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

My Fender Blues Junior with the Bill M mods IMO smoked my brother's Class 5. Needed the Fulldrive II MOSFET though! wink

I also went with the Billm mods on my nos tweed jr, what a great sounding little amp!

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Hey guys,
       Sorry you are having issues.  I have one of the first class 5z and it's never rattled. Actually mine is a pro type it's working name was classic 5. Anywho, I hope whatever you end up with it lives long and prospers!
Joe B

kevman13 wrote:

A Box of Rock with a BJr should sound great. I had one and it's one of the better "Marshall in a box" pedals I've tried. The Class 5 I had was the "first edition" meaning it didn't have the newly designed back panel, etc. Maybe the new ones don't rattle but here in Canada there does not seem to be any of the newer ones in stock.

Fuzzblues wrote:

Turned on the blues junior tonight and it is dead. Don't have any spare tubes, tried it with a different cab and nothing. Plugged the same pedals and cables into my super champ xd and worked no problem. Going to have the local amp guru have a look. Think I must be cursed, the wee super champ xd is the only thing that hasn't let me down. I ordered a box of rock to try and marshall the junior up but hopefully win't be without it for long. Maybe have a look for a silverface fender.

Sorry to hear yours didn't work out.
I got mine for $319 refurbished still with the full warranty. One someone sent back because of the rattle. Mine sounds great through its own speaker with no rattles. I actually brought it to practice and plugged it into my Sonic 4x12 and everyone was blown away with the tone. It sounds even better pushed with a tubescreamer.

I have no plans of getting rid of mine.

Gibson Collectors Choice #6
Joe Bonamassa Custom Shop Goldtop Unaged 1st run
Alvarez Acoustic '95
Gibson Skylark GA5-T '65, Marshall JTM45 Reissue, Fender Princton Reverb '72, Modded Bugera V5, Fender Bandmaster '68, Marshall Silver Jubilee 2558

12 (edited by Fuzzblues 2010-10-01 15:36:23)

Fuzzblues wrote:
kevman13 wrote:

Fuzzblues wrote:

Turned on the blues junior tonight and it is dead. Don't have any spare tubes, tried it with a different cab and nothing. Plugged the same pedals and cables into my super champ xd and worked no problem. Going to have the local amp guru have a look. Think I must be cursed, the wee super champ xd is the only thing that hasn't let me down. I ordered a box of rock to try and marshall the junior up but hopefully win't be without it for long. Maybe have a look for a silverface fender.

Got some new preamp tubes and a box of rock. Set the blues junior clean and ran wah -boss trem - pork loin - ts808 - box of rock - DD3. Instant mini marshall tone with good reverb. Bliss for now. That'll save me some dosh on a new amp. Gonna replace the boss trem with a fulltone soon I hope.

Great to hear Fuzzblues! I am quite happy with my Blues Jr III...like I mentioned in my earlier post I loved (all of) my Class 5(s) until it (they) starting rattling. How do you like the Boost on the B o' R? Pretty intense, huh?

kevman13 wrote:

Great to hear Fuzzblues! I am quite happy with my Blues Jr III...like I mentioned in my earlier post I loved (all of) my Class 5(s) until it (they) starting rattling. How do you like the Boost on the B o' R? Pretty intense, huh?

The boost is a handful. I got some good tones playing with just the boost. It was kinda like the sloe gin intro and a good mountain time impression when running the tremelo in front of the box of rock. When I bought the junior it had a vintage 30 in it. I'm not a fan of this speaker and got better results when I ran the junior into my hot rod deluxe extension cabinet. I would love to hear how the blues junior 3 sounds.

I hear you on the class 5. Great sound but marshall needs to sort out the rattle. Mine was one of the first class 5s and I sent it back to marshall to have the rattle fixed. seemed ok but then within a week it was back. That was it for me.

15 (edited by twistingcrow 2010-10-02 08:39:06)

André wrote:

My dealer says that approx 20 % of the Marshall amps they sell (not just Class 5's), requires repair. What's happening with Marshall?
André

Marshall has been building crap for a long time... That's a fact. Don't believe pros when they say "my Marshall is stock" cuz most of the time their guitar techs check their amp when they come in, change a few things, and check them every day afterwards. And don't forget that pros get money or free amps from Marshall. The counterpart is they have to say that Marshall rocks... Yeah right...

Marshall is just a name people trust in and the company owners know it and build crap because it's cheaper to build  and they know they will sell anyway... The fact that 20% of their amps have issue tells a lot about the build quality.

If you want a real Marshall don't look into Marshall... Go Metropoulos, Germino, Ceriatone and so forth. These guys respect the Marshall models more than the company itself...

I'm done...  tongue

twistingcrow wrote:
André wrote:

André

Marshall has been building crap for a long time... That's a fact. Don't believe pros when they say "my Marshall is stock" cuz most of the time their guitar techs check their amp when they come in, change a few things, and check them every day afterwards. And don't forget that pros get money or free amps from Marshall. The counterpart is they have to say that Marshall rocks... Yeah right...

Marshall is just a name people trust in and the company owners know it and build crap because it's cheaper to build  and they know they will sell anyway... The fact that 20% of their amps have issue tells a lot about the build quality.

If you want a real Marshall don't look into Marshall... Go Metropoulos, Germino, Ceriatone and so forth. These guys respect the Marshall models more than the company itself...

I'm done...  tongue

I'm not saying you're right OR wrong, but I do see your point.  Marshall IS the go to amp, if for nothing else it has that mystique.  I love both of mine, but they are still a business and your money is what they are after in the long run.

Fuzzblues wrote:
kevman13 wrote:

The boost is a handful. I got some good tones playing with just the boost. It was kinda like the sloe gin intro and a good mountain time impression when running the tremelo in front of the box of rock. When I bought the junior it had a vintage 30 in it. I'm not a fan of this speaker and got better results when I ran the junior into my hot rod deluxe extension cabinet. I would love to hear how the blues junior 3 sounds.

I hear you on the class 5. Great sound but marshall needs to sort out the rattle. Mine was one of the first class 5s and I sent it back to marshall to have the rattle fixed. seemed ok but then within a week it was back. That was it for me.

The junior has to go I'm afraid. Got a good deal on a used cornell plexi 7. Marshall Class 5 Killer? I hope so.

Since a lot of you guys own blues jnrs I have a problem with mine that someone may be able to help with.  I bought my tweed jnr in about 2010. Loved it. Sounded great. After a year or so though the valves went and I got an amp tech to retube it.  Ever since it sounded pretty ordinary and now the reverb has stopped functioning also which I believe is a common occurrence?

Unfortunately I didn't note what tubes the amp came stock with and it now has some no name things in there. I called the amp guy to discuss and he wasn't interested in helping and didn't know why it sounded different now? In the end I bought a HW AC15 which is awesome but I'd love to get the jr happening again.

So my questions are:
1) can different valves make it sound crappy? If so I'll change them again.
2) does anyone know what the stock valves actually would have been?

Tempted to pick up a class 5 if the newer versions have fixed the rattle issue?