Topic: BK Butler Tube Driver

How do you think the reissues stack up? Anyone heard anything?

http://www.butleraudio.com/tubedriver.php

Re: BK Butler Tube Driver

I have one that I ordered directly from BK's site. It is a cool pedal, and with some delay, reverb and a cranked Marshall you really can get the violin tone they are famous for (thanks to Joe B and stratpaulguy for the tips). However, it is not currently on my board - I use it for home stuff but not live - it is really "thick" sounding. That being said it is a very unique sounding pedal - very rich in harmonics. Worth $300? Not so sure...look used on TGP if you are set on getting one.

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

Hey Guys,
        I just ordered one.  I have 4 original Chandler models including a rack mount with a bias control.  That one is not my fav.  I find they are all different. I like using a "used" 12/AT7 as opposed to the AX7 that was stock back in the day.  What sold me on the new ones was they use three prong earthed plugs.  The reason I dont use the originals live is the lack of earth plug doesnt play well with the F-1, 4 amp rig.  The jubilee especially doesnt.. So I will give you a report.  They are great with a mono superlead or Hiwatt with reverb ... 
cool that they are being build again.. So much for collecting..
Joe B

I was lucky enough to get the very last Budda Phatman dual tube pedal from Brandon and Jeff at Budda.  I acquired some NOS GE/Baldwin 12at7s and 12au7 tubes along with some Tungsol and  other old 12ax7s.  This thing is hot, so like Joe, I prefer 12at7's with it.  Dependent on what amp I'm fronting it into.  You can get realistic Superdrive tones for sure.  I'm liking it into my GK 250 RL amp AB-Y'd with a Carvin X100B.  I'm trying for Joes' Superlead BCC sounds.  Not sure if I'm there, but I'm smiling so far! big_smile   There's certainally worse hobbies, like gambling and such!

For best results in getting BCC tones..
collectable gear:
Marshall superbass 1968 100 watt plexiglass panel
Marshall Jubilee 100 watt 
two Marshall super bass extra tall stereo cabinets with EV-12 L speakers.. (critical link..they yeild distorted yet clear tones)
Gibson Historic Les Paul with burstbucker 2 and three.. (authors note-- I suggest a joe bonamassa signature model for safest and best results)

Non Collectable new store bought gear.
2-DSL 2000 marshall 100 watt heads  set to cleanish.. crank the drive to 10 and the master to 6.  dump all the treble and leave the presence around three.  Bass three and mid 5.
1 marshall straight stereo cabinet.  with 75 watt celestions.. But honestly get the EVs.. way better to my ears.
guitar same as above.. again I want you to be in good hands.

pedals..
Fuzzface
MXR micro flange
Jimi Hendrix crybaby
ts-808 reissue tubescreamer set to gain 10, tone between 10 and 11 o clock and volume 10
Boss DD-3
WayHuge Pork loin
Way huge aqua-puss..

thats the keys to the car...  Hope that helps..
Joe Bonamassa recovering from a slight head cold..

I have the one with the bias mod and I like it.  It definitely gets the violin tone.  You have to use it with an amp that has some drive going, or stack it into another pedal if you are using a clean Fender.  My only problem is cutting through with it.  I play in a classic rock band with two guitars and keyboards.  I get the violin tone all dialed in and then it seems to get lost in the mix, even if I boost my volume on leads.  Any one have any tips for getting the 2000lb violin to cut through?
Joe, thank you very much for the BCC tone tips.

Thank You for showing us your cards, Joe. cool   I may have to try gambling after all! tongue   Of all those items listed, I owned the '68 100 watt Marshall when I graduated from high school in '80.  Unfortunately I needed a car, and.... You know. Still got a DD-3, Keeley TS 808 and a Fuzz Face and Jimi Crybaby wah(got a Bud-Wah, too) so that's close.

I've been watching for the Epiphone sig. release but haven't seen anything yet.  So in the meantime, I bought a stripped down '56 reissue with the p-90's that had a broken off headstock.  I'm rebuilding it and re-routing it for humbuckers.  It will do for now, I guess. 

Still loving the BCC cd!!!!  I am destined to wear it out. cool   Hope you feel better, Joe!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

collectable gear:
two Marshall super bass extra tall stereo cabinets with EV-12 L speakers.. (critical link..they yeild distorted yet clear tones)
Gibson Historic Les Paul with burstbucker 2 and three.. (authors note-- I suggest a joe bonamassa signature model for safest and best results)

2-DSL 2000 marshall 100 watt heads  set to cleanish.. crank the drive to 10 and the master to 6.  dump all the treble and leave the presence around three.  Bass three and mid 5.
1 marshall straight stereo cabinet.  with 75 watt celestions.. But honestly get the EVs.. way better to my ears.

pedals..
Fuzzface
MXR micro flange
Jimi Hendrix crybaby
ts-808 reissue tubescreamer set to gain 10, tone between 10 and 11 o clock and volume 10
Boss DD-3
WayHuge Pork loin
Way huge aqua-puss..

Great tips Joe, now where did i put the winning lottery ticket?

While in the sharing mood joe can we have your supa trem and pork loin settings?

Joe B
I would actually liek a rack unit for my rig since everything is ina  rack and switchable.  Interested in selling your rack one since you're not using it?

DannyG wrote:

Joe B
I would actually liek a rack unit for my rig since everything is ina  rack and switchable.  Interested in selling your rack one since you're not using it?

Ans: yes the rack is switchable. On and off only. The other thing.  Well some have come to call my collection the " the black hole"  as what goes in never comes out. One day I ll have a massive garage sale for charity. EC has Goldie for his auction  I just don't know when that will be.  Let's start there and I ll see how it feels. Tough parting with stuff. I'm like a picker and a hoarder. Lol. I won't rummage through trash for a guitar. We'll??????  What kind is it. ?
Anywho: pork lion
Volume 1 o'clock , tone 11 o'clock. Drive 11 o'clock as well. Little ones set to noon.
Joe B

There is a guy selling a used one Local for about $150 I thought about checking it out but I really don't need another OD and after heard Joe say it doesn't play well with the Jub by itself makes me secong guess that. Joe did you think your Jub's pick up noise from Pedals and bad wiring more easily than other amps? Mine seems to.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Guys,
        I just ordered one.  I have 4 original Chandler models including a rack mount with a bias control.  That one is not my fav.  I find they are all different. I like using a "used" 12/AT7 as opposed to the AX7 that was stock back in the day.  What sold me on the new ones was they use three prong earthed plugs.  The reason I dont use the originals live is the lack of earth plug doesnt play well with the F-1, 4 amp rig.  The jubilee especially doesnt.. So I will give you a report.  They are great with a mono superlead or Hiwatt with reverb ... 
Joe B

i seem to recall that although there is a 3 prong plug, it's actually unearthed... might be wrong...

anyway, i simply don't get all the manlove for the bktd. I've owned 4 or 5 and i think they're noisy and only useful at massive volumes. better with a 12au in.

i know pete cornish mods gilmours with another tube buffer in it and loads of other enhancements

i'm totally convinced that the sib varidrive and the kingsley jester are far superior as real tube od's ( but then who am I to argue with jb?)

"Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips...."

JB LP Goldtop No. 290- Aged...rather like me.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Ans: yes the rack is switchable. On and off only. The other thing.  Well some have come to call my collection the " the black hole"  as what goes in never comes out. One day I ll have a massive garage sale for charity. EC has Goldie for his auction  I just don't know when that will be.  Let's start there and I ll see how it feels. Tough parting with stuff. I'm like a picker and a hoarder. Lol. I won't rummage through trash for a guitar. We'll??????  What kind is it. ?
Anywho: pork lion
Volume 1 o'clock , tone 11 o'clock. Drive 11 o'clock as well. Little ones set to noon.
Joe B

Thats more or less what mine is set at, thought there might be a secret combination of settings. Thanks Joe.

15 (edited by Rocket 2010-10-01 08:31:19)

jakey wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Guys,
Joe B

i seem to recall that although there is a 3 prong plug, it's actually unearthed... might be wrong...

anyway, i simply don't get all the manlove for the bktd. I've owned 4 or 5 and i think they're noisy and only useful at massive volumes. better with a 12au in.

i know pete cornish mods gilmours with another tube buffer in it and loads of other enhancements

i'm totally convinced that the sib varidrive and the kingsley jester are far superior as real tube od's ( but then who am I to argue with jb?)

It's grounded.  Well actually it's not if you want to get technical-you have to establish / confirm / presume or assume the "earthed" part yourself, but the 3rd prong is definitely for that purpose and any truly grounded outlet you plug it into makes it so.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rockete

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Hi All,

I've got one of the recent ones that BK built for me a couple years back. Mine has the bias mod. Around that time, I had the opportunity to interview EJ

http://www.musicplayers.com/features/gu … ohnson.php

and (afterwards) I asked him what he thought of these versus his older ones. He told me that he liked them even better and jokingly said that he was scared that BK would one day stop making them.

My personal experience has been positive (once I learned that if you pair full range pedals like this with an amp with a prominant bright cap, such as a BFDR, at low volume, you will sound like a Kazoo.  lol ). I think that for the violin tone, it is a fairly critical component. Good for later era Gilmour as well.

Not for everyone, though. Some players find that they don't have the midrange they want/need to cut through the mix. Others wanting to use this as a high gain pedal with a complete clean amp might get different results than they expect. I think it works best pushing an amp that it already on the verge of clip or just into it.

Cheers,
-Matt

Thanks for the insight into your BCC tones, Joe
Stupid question, on your 808 when you mean volume and gain on ten do you mean o clock or as in maxed out? I get confuzzled.

Also is the fuzz face maxed out?

Jamming to BCC is gonna be my first thing when I can start playin again.

Fender 60's Strat>Fulltone OCD V4>>TC Electronics Polytune>Orange Dual Terror>Torres 2x10 Cab(with a vintage 30 and a greenback)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

collectable gear:

pedals..
Fuzzface
MXR micro flange
Jimi Hendrix crybaby
Boss DD-3
WayHuge Pork loin
Way huge aqua-puss..