Topic: EV12L

Anyone have these and know if they sound alright at lower volumes?

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: EV12L

I have one in my Fender Concert (1 x 12 1980s Paul Rivera one) and think it sounds great at reasonable volume in the house. But it makes a very heavy combo!!!!

I don't own any, nor have I played through them but I did talk to a Rep from MOJO last year at the Philly guitar show (they build Joe's cabinets) and HE said they need to be pushed hard to get the best sound out of them.  For what they cost, they ought to sound good at any volume.  -Seth.

Here is what I find with EV-12L's.  They dont break up at all.. They are 300 watts.  The Jubilee and Van Weelden at 100 watts are not gonna dent them.  Thats why Alexander Dumble likes them.  They are neutral.  I use them at home at low volumes.  I have gotten so used to them that any other speaker throws me off.  The amount of color and compression that other speakers inadvertly give to your amp is shocking when you get right down to it. Some like that tone and color.. Its  subjective to say the least. In the Case the EVs  They are clear and articulate at any volume in my opinion.  They are my not so secret weapon.  I recommend them above all.  Carvin used to make a british series 100 watt that was close.. This goes back 20 years ago though..  Anyway.. as you can see Im pretty into these things. 
Joe B.

Thanks everyone! I'm talking to Mills Acoustics about getting a custom 2x12 cab made smile

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

I have one 1x12 cab loaded with EVM12L and sounds really hi-fi....very clean...great speaker even a low volumes.  I like to run two 1x12 cabs, one with EVM12L and a 1x12 Two Rock Sig cab loaded with a TR12-65R (brighter voiced then 12-65) together with my Dumble clone Ceriatone OTS - sometimes mixing can provide nice  things....just say'n.

Is the size of the cab important to get the best out of the EV12L's? I have a 4x12 Mesa Rectifier cab, and wonder if I should buy another cab with EV12L's (or Weber Thames ceramic speakers - haven't decided yet....) or is this cab "good enough" and just go ahead and change the speakers?

André

Hi!
André, just like with any speaker the cab plays an important part of the sound. Put an EVM12L in a Marshall 1912 cab and then in a Mesa Boogie Thiele and chances are that the sound will be totally different (and better in the Mesa cab obviously!)

Anyway, I have a question for you gear nuts. I'm soon to get a new 2X12 cab and I'll put two EVM12L's in it. I don't know if I should buy the new reissue models (with the blue sticker) or if I should hunt for the "Thick Plate" originals that were first introduced in Mesa Boogie cabs like the Thiele, or Rivera amps. Is the original better sounding or are they equal? Joe do you have the originals or the reissues in your cabs? I can get either of them at the same price so, just wondering here...

And last question do you guys know if there's a difference in sound between two 16 ohms EV's wired in parallel for 8 ohms and two 8 ohms wired in series for 16 ohms or in parallel for 4 ohms? My Metro head can be set at 4, 8 or 16 ohms so I don't know if I should get the 16 ohms or 8 ohms EV's lol...

Thanks!

I have the Eminence Delta Pro, supposed to be a good alternative for EV12L. Good speaker.

twistingcrow wrote:

And last question do you guys know if there's a difference in sound between two 16 ohms EV's wired in parallel for 8 ohms and two 8 ohms wired in series for 16 ohms or in parallel for 4 ohms? My Metro head can be set at 4, 8 or 16 ohms so I don't know if I should get the 16 ohms or 8 ohms EV's lol...

Thanks!

I always wire my cabs at 16ohm (two 8ohm speakers wired in series) following Nik's recommendation. Apparently at 16ohm all the windings of the OT are used. I assume the differences may be subtle. You'll find a lot of varying opinions on that when you google it.

Any opinions regarding the original "thick plate" EVM12L compared to the current reissue model? I'm poised between both and I can have them for the same price so... Help...?  smile

twistingcrow wrote:

Hi!
André, just like with any speaker the cab plays an important part of the sound. Put an EVM12L in a Marshall 1912 cab and then in a Mesa Boogie Thiele and chances are that the sound will be totally different (and better in the Mesa cab obviously!)

Anyway, I have a question for you gear nuts. I'm soon to get a new 2X12 cab and I'll put two EVM12L's in it. I don't know if I should buy the new reissue models (with the blue sticker) or if I should hunt for the "Thick Plate" originals that were first introduced in Mesa Boogie cabs like the Thiele, or Rivera amps. Is the original better sounding or are they equal? Joe do you have the originals or the reissues in your cabs? I can get either of them at the same price so, just wondering here...

Thanks!

There may be a subtle sound difference but if the impedance is high, the current through the output transformer will be lower, resulting in less heat from internal resistance.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

http://www.youtube.com/user/T92780#p/a/u/2/3NAACfgtpS0

This is an old little one take noodle I did chilling in chair with a glass of wine after work, but you can hear how my Strat through a Ceriatone OTS lead channel sounds through one cab loaded with EVM12L and other cab is a Two Rock loaded with TR12-65R speaker.  This speaker combo works for my tone, not sure if this helps.  As noted, it's very hi-fi and appears to be able to take whatever you have and then some...heavy speaker.

t92780 wrote:

This is an old little one take noodle I did chilling in chair with a glass of wine after work, but you can hear how my Strat through a Ceriatone OTS lead channel sounds through one cab loaded with EVM12L and other cab is a Two Rock loaded with TR12-65R speaker.  This speaker combo works for my tone, not sure if this helps.  As noted, it's very hi-fi and appears to be able to take whatever you have and then some...heavy speaker.

Holy Strat!  Really nice haul of guitars you got there.  Like the salmon colored one myself.  -Seth

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Here is what I find with EV-12L's.  They dont break up at all.. They are 300 watts.  The Jubilee and Van Weelden at 100 watts are not gonna dent them.  Thats why Alexander Dumble likes them.  They are neutral.  I use them at home at low volumes.  I have gotten so used to them that any other speaker throws me off.  The amount of color and compression that other speakers inadvertly give to your amp is shocking when you get right down to it. Some like that tone and color.. Its  subjective to say the least. In the Case the EVs  They are clear and articulate at any volume in my opinion.  They are my not so secret weapon.  I recommend them above all.  Carvin used to make a british series 100 watt that was close.. This goes back 20 years ago though..  Anyway.. as you can see Im pretty into these things. 
Joe B.

I have a 2x12 with the Carvin speaker JB mentioned and like all of the Carvin stuff it is great quality at a great price.  Again, these types of flat response ("neutral"), dark speakers, offer super articulation (if you have an articulate amp) but be warned: they sound awful to the ear (IMHO) if you are within 5 feet of the cab.  However, walk 5 feet away (arbitrary distance, could be more or less depending on the room) or to where the audience is, or listen to a recorded sample and the sound is gorgeous. I think most people buy speakers, put it in their combo or cab, turn the amp on, stand within a couple of feet in their man cave or room and hear a certain tone; right then and there they forget to take into account the EQ setting on the amp, the natural acoustics of the room, and the fact that all speakers sound different.  Trust me, i went through a lot of chances ranging from guitars, to amps, to pedals, to speakers...  I recently discovered that I really liked my tone If I just stepped away a bit.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

helrazr84 wrote:
t92780 wrote:

Holy Strat!  Really nice haul of guitars you got there.  Like the salmon colored one myself.  -Seth

Thanks, took guitars that day out of storage unit to tune up, play them and take pictures for insurance before going back in storage.  Actually that one is kinda unique, I got a CS dealer to part/disassemble two CS Strats to make up Strat I wanted - times were tough for dealer.  Took heavy relic neck from a CS 57 and a Heavy Relic 62 body from another - it's technically Fiesta Red, but heavy relic does give it that Salmon look.

Would a 55 watt head be able to drive 4x12 loaded with EV12Ls?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Would a 55 watt head be able to drive 4x12 loaded with EV12Ls?

I don't see why not.  As everyone has mentioned, they sound good at lower volumes.  I think my Vintage Modern 2266 (50 watt) sounds better through 2: 2X12 cabs or a 4X12 cab than just 2 twelve inch speakers.  From what I've heard they have little to no breakup anyway so I doubt they would sound any different with a 50 or 100W head.  -Seth