1 (edited by TubeSaturation 2010-10-18 11:37:21)

Topic: Perhaps the best Dumble tone? (my .02)

You guys all seem to like the Dumble sound, and some of you may have seen this video before. It's what I consider "The" Dumble tone. Let's get some feedback?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6odoC4itw

Ryan

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

Re: Perhaps the best Dumble tone? (my .02)

Overrated...

Yeah without having played it myself I cant speak to the feel of the amp... But the sound thru Youtube is no different in my opinion that a bludotone or some ceriatone's I've heard.

I totally agree, I can't speak for the feel of the amp. I think I'm more or less just opening up a discussion to see how you guys' ideas of a dumble tone relate to this.

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

wonder how this compares to a Two-Rock?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I was trying to think of an example where I thought Dumble Tone was wrong for the artist...

Ben Harper uses Dumbles and I always think that his overdrive sound wierd for the music he writes. Its like he is using the wrong Tone. I dont know what would make it better but maybe some bassman's or twins... I dont know. 

People praise Dumble as being the best amp period... I really dont want that tone... So to me its not the best. I much prefer a Vox'y voiced amp pushed to just before overdrive, then pushed into it by a Fulltone Fatboost or a Fulltone Fulldrive. I may have to change that when my Tim pedal arrives.

You'll have to let us know how that Tim works out. I'm buying a zendrive kit to build when I'm home this winter break. I'm already buying a jub so I can't afford an OTS, too tongue

I also think  "Talk to your Daughter" by Robben Ford is a very good Dumble tone. It's much more pure than the clip I posted.

My personal favorite Dumble tone is Eric Johnson's Austin City Limits '88 Dumble Steel String Singer.  Of course SRV got great sounds out of his too.  Those SSS amps are monsters, like twice as powerful as a Fender Twin!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I didn't think that recording was anything special, turned it off.  I own a Ceriatone OTS 50-watt and I've played a Bludotone and virtually all of Two Rocks current offerings - they all have just a slightly different voicings from each other and no Dumble was created the same twice to my knowledge, so you can't compare, but all are close.

These are my favorite single style amps for my tone.

Plug straight into amp go to lead channel and be in that Ford, Carlton territory - no OD pedals required, just maybe a reverb and delay in amps loop.  Here's a link to a quick little noodle I did with Strat, though posted here recently I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAACfgtpS0

My everyday tone is heard here on guitar solo at 2:12 and outro part of song. Amp on clean channel and me using a Klon and two other OD pedals stacked behind it.  Song is Breakaway from the Robert McDougall Band across the pond, I wote solo and outro parts on guitar for him to learn and or use mine take for free.. seems like a good kid.

http://soundcloud.com/t92780/breakaway

@Stratpaul- didn't EJ use a Dumble for the "Ah Via Musicom" album? The Austin City Limits video of him is one of my fave's...next to SRV's first ASL performance.

@t9 - I think 1:09 in the video I posted is more along the terms of the tone I'm talking about...or did you turn it off before you got there? Carlton's tone in the cuts he did with Steely Dan were some of my favorite. I'm not sure if he was using Dumble back then though...

Yeah, stopped listening after about .30 - will give another listen.

Try the infamous Henry Kaiser/Dumble videos on youtube...solid comic gold.  wink

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Try the infamous Henry Kaiser/Dumble videos on youtube...solid comic gold.  wink

The first time I saw those on youtube, I thought someone was playing a joke on me.  It was like watching Professional Wrestling where you and everyone else knows it's fake, but the guys in the video are all into it, acting like it's real!  -Seth

I thought those Kaiser videos were SgSanders or whatever his name is videos.

TubeSaturation wrote:

@Stratpaul- didn't EJ use a Dumble for the "Ah Via Musicom" album? The Austin City Limits video of him is one of my fave's...next to SRV's first ASL performance.

Yes the Dumble Steel String Singer was featured all over Ah Via Musicom.  All the Hendrix-y fuzzed out stuff and dirty crunch tones were the Dumble.  Also that whooshing flangy goodness known as "High Landrons" was mostly the Dumble + a MXR 126 rack flanger.  Reportedly EJ dropped the Dumble from his rig after it blew a transformer and Howard Alexander Dumble gave EJ crap about fixing it.  Evidently EJ broke the Dumble code and let someone else peek inside or take a crack at fixing it.  It was later sold to Carlos Santana for an untold sum.  Rumor is that Eric just re-aquired his famed Dumble SSS and it's back at Alex Dumble's shop for a tune-up and voicing.  After the transformer blew Eric stated that it never quite sounded the same.  In a recent interview Eric was quoted saying that he recently listened to Ah Via Musicom and wanted to recapture aspects of his tone and playing from that era which as a diehard EJ fan is VERY EXCITING.  Not that his current tone/style is bad it's just that in era, EJ was frickin' incredible.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Well, I love EJ tons...but I haven't been too floored by the tone he's had the past few years. It'd be great if he'd go back to the Dumbles

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
TubeSaturation wrote:

Yes the Dumble Steel String Singer was featured all over Ah Via Musicom.  All the Hendrix-y fuzzed out stuff and dirty crunch tones were the Dumble.  Also that whooshing flangy goodness known as "High Landrons" was mostly the Dumble + a MXR 126 rack flanger.  Reportedly EJ dropped the Dumble from his rig after it blew a transformer and Howard Alexander Dumble gave EJ crap about fixing it.  Evidently EJ broke the Dumble code and let someone else peek inside or take a crack at fixing it.  It was later sold to Carlos Santana for an untold sum.  Rumor is that Eric just re-aquired his famed Dumble SSS and it's back at Alex Dumble's shop for a tune-up and voicing.  After the transformer blew Eric stated that it never quite sounded the same.  In a recent interview Eric was quoted saying that he recently listened to Ah Via Musicom and wanted to recapture aspects of his tone and playing from that era which as a diehard EJ fan is VERY EXCITING.  Not that his current tone/style is bad it's just that in era, EJ was frickin' incredible.

The SSS and the ODS unit posted in the clip are wildly different-

The SSS has a (massive) pre-amp but no OD stage so you can get insanely big cleans without break. This amp with some EVs/Eminence Delta Pros are pretty scary.

If you are ho/hum on Dumbles that's cool but you need to hear a 90s Skyline circuit, EL34 HRM 100 watt with Marshall Trannies vs. the big Music Man 700v Iron. I'll put it against any Superlead for the Eric Johnson lead tones. With a 'lator and the right delay it's on point!!!

The clip the OP did was a 6l6 based 80s Skyliner (Peter's Amp) is a low plate unit. Hearing it in person is pretty impressive.

I really wish there was somewhere that I could just play through a dumble for a few hours...even on computer speakers, they sound so harmonically rich, and to be cliche, organic.