Topic: Best way to get reverb?

I want to get a new amp, but some of them that I am looking at, do not have reverb.
What is the best way to add reverb? Pedal? or reverb tank? Recommendations for both?

Thanks

Re: Best way to get reverb?

Boss Rev-5, T-Rex Roomate, Strymon Blue Sky, Electro Harmonix Cathedral or Holy Grail....tons of fine delay pedals out there!  The best non-Fender reverb I've ever heard was a tweed laquered Valve Train tube/spring reverb unit.  That thing was sick but so was the price ($600!!)

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I've tried the Holy Grail pedal and liked it. I don't own one though.

One thing I've seen many musicians use these... and hate them - even curse the company that makes them:
http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumc … 20unit.jpg

i've seen bands kick them on stage, etc.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

So you think that a pedal is the way to go? Don't bother with trying to get a reverb tank?

I know what Joe has said about the few Fender Reverb tanks he owns.

5 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2010-10-24 22:53:22)

I just think they are fragile. I've taken apart reverb tanks before. The springs break and the wire that connect to the plugs crack or snap off... so I'd imagine them to fragile. I think when they work they sound good, but many say they are simply not dependable.

I've tried the boss reverb pedal, and it sounded fake to me unless it was in the loop. I really liked the big old chrome holy grail pedal.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have a Verbzilla and like it, but I use it more for the U2 shimmer effect.  I don't play surf (heresy in CA), so I only use a hint of reverb.

Guitars: '79 LP Custom, '01 Dickey Betts Goldie - 80 of 114, '00 Chandler Lectraslide
Amps: '00 Marshall 1987x, '70 Marshall 1959 SL, 4x12 JBL D120s
'64 Vibroverb - JBL D130, '66 Super Reverb - CTS Alnicos
'77 Peavey Deuce (great for melting stubborn ear wax)

Try a Lee Jackson "Mr Springgy".

http://www.leejackson.com/MrSpringgy_pedal.html

Honestly the best reverb is the boss rev -5. The tanks break down and If you walk by them they make a horrible noise.  GE Smith is the master along with Dick Dale and Neil Young.  For the rest of us the Boss is the most reliable. Through the loop is best but in front is cool too. The G Labs is also fantastic.
Joe B

In the loop for me, but some like what it does in front coupled with OD and Distortion pedals.  If you want a Spring Reverb, maybe look at Fuchs or even a Malekko might be worth a listen.  I like hall reverb, so I use a Dr Scientist Reverberator in my Ceriatone amp loop. I had a T-Rex Roomate, nice pedal, but had switch problems.

Good luck in the search.

10 (edited by jakey 2010-10-25 13:02:54)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Honestly the best reverb is the boss rev -5. The tanks break down and If you walk by them they make a horrible noise.  GE Smith is the master along with Dick Dale and Neil Young.  For the rest of us the Boss is the most reliable. Through the loop is best but in front is cool too. The G Labs is also fantastic.
Joe B

I agree with Joe re the RV 5- In fact I have the RVV 10 1/2 rack version which is the same chip etc. I actually asked him his opinion on it in Belgium this yr and got the big JB thumbs up!

Re Neil Young- 'An original tube Echoplex, an MXR analog delay, a Boss flanger, and an old white Fender reverb unit with new springs that are separate. The springs are on a microphone stand that goes on the cement floor of the building. It extends up to the bottom of the stage, and the spring stands on top of the microphone stand and the wire comes through a hole in the stage completely separate. I can't use it if I don't do that, because if I jump onstage, the spring rattles. It has to be isolated from the surface of anything that's vibrating.'

http://thrasherswheat.org/sound.htm

I have to say if there's one LP I'd want to own it's Old Black.

"Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips...."

JB LP Goldtop No. 290- Aged...rather like me.

jakey wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

I agree with Joe re the RV 5- In fact I have the RVV 10 1/2 rack version which is the same chip etc. I actually asked him his opinion on it in Belgium this yr and got the big JB thumbs up!

Re Neil Young- 'An original tube Echoplex, an MXR analog delay, a Boss flanger, and an old white Fender reverb unit with new springs that are separate. The springs are on a microphone stand that goes on the cement floor of the building. It extends up to the bottom of the stage, and the spring stands on top of the microphone stand and the wire comes through a hole in the stage completely separate. I can't use it if I don't do that, because if I jump onstage, the spring rattles. It has to be isolated from the surface of anything that's vibrating.'

http://thrasherswheat.org/sound.htm

I have to say if there's one LP I'd want to own it's Old Black.

Thanks Joe and Jakey, I think I will go with the Boss Rev 5

It looks pretty cool..
I just have a question for Joe or for anyone that might know the answer, why you (Joe) opt to use the DD3 delay instead of an analog delay? I remember in a video interview you said it was nice and really analog sounding. So why not just use an analog delay?
I love the DD3 though, but I've never played an analog delay.

jakey wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

What settings are you using? So far I've used the Holy Grail+ and I've just bought the RV-5 for the "Spring" Reverb but it makes that annyoing "boing" sound like in the old days when I accidentally hit my silverface Twin when playing. What is the point of that? Can that be eliminated by fine-tuning the setting?
Cheesed off so I haven't tried out the other settings yet.

Bus terminal men's room...

oops

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

That may be George Michael's favourite. Not my thing, though. Any tips on the settings for the RV-5 to eliminate that annoying boingy spring noise. Choosing another mode? I'll experiment a bit this weekend when I have more time. So any tips to cut corners are appreciated.

Check out the Fuchs.  Plenty of clips on YouTube and I think the Fuchs site might have some audio clips.  Amazing reverb for a pedal.

According to Andy...he is somewhat of a reverb snob.  He spent a lot of time designing and tweaking this pedal.  Check it out

16 (edited by ruger9 2010-10-26 06:12:39)

I'll go thru the list of what I've owned/liked:

Holy Grail Plus - quite good
EHX Cathedreal - not as good as HG+; sounded to digital to me in the trails
Digitech Digiverb - excellent sounds, but low headroom
Line 6 Verbzilla - good sounds, but too digital sounding all around
Marshall Reflector - not bad at all, probably prefer to Verbzilla

Neunaber WET Reverb - awesome. This thing is 2 knobs, and does everything from Sun Records "bathtub reverb" to a large hall. It's  not so much a "surf" reverb tho. If I needed to buy a reverb pedal again, I would get the WET or...

Strymon Blue Sky - this one does EVERYTHING, and it's expensive. But it sounds incredible. Strymon makes amazing stuff (I owned a Strymon Brigadier & currently own a Strymon El Capistan), and if you want the"end-all" reverb pedal, this is IT. If I needed to buy a reverb pedal again that could do it all, I'd buy the Strymon.

Interestingly, I never got the RV-5.  I think because most people I talked to said it was "good, solid, but..." as in, it is a good reverb, but there are now better ones out there, I guess.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

When I saw GE with Moon Alice he was using a Holy Grail and it sounded great. He was also using a Mutron Phasor I and it was AMAZING!! I ended up buying two because of how great GE's sounded.

I just got the Boss FRV-1 63 Spring Reverb pedal and I think it sounds dynamite!

Bluesbreaker wrote:

Any tips on the settings for the RV-5 to eliminate that annoying boingy spring noise. Choosing another mode? I'll experiment a bit this weekend when I have more time. So any tips to cut corners are appreciated.

Anyone?