Topic: New Fuzz Pedal: Davy Knowles sig.

Freekish Blues Fuzz
http://freekishblues.com/index.html

Youtube vid demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMga_Op5XOE

I've never owned a Fuzz pedal, but it'd be fun to try one... they seem a little too buzzy to me and hard to hear the guitar tone come out of it. Do people use these INSTEAD of overdrive/distortion pedals? In other words, do guitar players do away with their other overdrive pedals in favor of these?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: New Fuzz Pedal: Davy Knowles sig.

You're right, this one sounds a little too buzzy for me.  I do like the features it has.  You might be able to tame it somewhat.  I own 2 fuzz pedals, a London Fuzz Red model, and a Catalyst.  Both are great sounding pedals.  Catalyst is much more versatile with tonal options, VERY quiet, works perfect with humbuckers OR single coils and sits well anywhere in signal chain.  LFuzz is not quite suited for humbuckers though..

I think most people who like to incorporate fuzz tones into their playing DO have an OD and Fuzz pedal on their board.  Matter of fact I think EVERYONE should have a good straight up fuzz pedal on their board, they ALWAYS come in handy.  -Seth

I love the sound of that...it's very Josh Homme sounding!

There are one million different flavors of fuzz pedals out there, from mild to wild and every shade in between.  Generally Germanium fuzzes are smoother sounding and silicon are harsher, but I have seen examples where the reverse also applies.  Basically, start buying fuzzes and check them out; sell them here or TGP and go to the next thing.  Best expensive fuzz I owned was the fulltone soulbender;  I have a couple still around for some odd tones when I need them but the cheapest of all, the seymour duncan tweak fuzz is the only that would have a place on pedal board.  super smooth. 

Nic, no I would say people do not opt for fuzz over overdrive since they do different things to the tone.  For a fuzz you sort of want it not to be transparent whereas on OD's that is a feature that is sought after.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

I'm liking my most recent purchase: Cusack Fuzz.  Sloppy 1-take with loop pedal and yes....through a Dumble Clone.....Ceriatone OTS at lower volume. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHPwKameSL4

There is only one.

Analogman NKT275

DaveWammbarro wrote:

There is only one.

Analogman NKT275

And the Fulltone '69/'70 Fuzzes.  Those things RULE.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Fulltone 69 or a Diaz Square Face has always worked for me. However, to each their own.

Play on...

Stay Safe Please
me

Anyone interested in Lower 48-States, I have for sale in like new condition:

Fulltone OctaFuzz with FT Power Supply: $120.00 Delivered
Fulltone Ultimate Octave: $120.00 Delivered

I ei ey.     
     I love Davey. I think he' s the best thing to come out in years in this genre.   I am perplexed at the tone of this pedal.  It neither creates a good smooth fuzz or a Octavia clone. It is not pleasing to my ears. It's harsh even when great stuff is being played.  I think Davey deserves better than this.  But, if he is happy with this...  Who am I?  I just have to chime in if it gets post here. It's a forum for opinion.  Here's mine.  Buy a Fulltone Octavia.
Love Ya Davey but........
Joe B.

Well, hold on right here...before we start looking into this pedal from that video.

Some of these proguitarshop and gearmandude vids make really sweet pedals sound like Danelectro ODs into Marshall MGs.

It MUST be the way the speakers are mic'd...and/or...into the board...it's so dry, nasally and sharp.

I won't say anything until I hear this through a live Davy rig down the line. I bet it sounds far, far better. Youtube demos tell you zero 99% of the time.

Again. Dave
           Its about if you are gonna do a demo and put yourself out there to be judged and sell a product then you have to answer for said product. This wasn't a hap hazard demo on the fly. This was QVC. Gotta call it like I see it. The tone in question is not pleasing to my ears. I have no vested interest either way. I hope Davey sells a ton of these. The jb forum is supposed to be honest.  Again. It's not a slag of davey's playing or music.   
Joe B.

I really didn't care for the sound; but I am not sure  what settings he was using. Some Fuzz pedals, like one that I have - Swollen Pickle, have a rainbow of sounds from very cool to very weird. I'd put this into the very weird category.

I have tried a ton of Fuzz pedals, I find the Big Muff Pi to be my favorite for that classic Fuzz tone.

#275 JB LP

Never owened many fuzz pedals ..

but I used to have a BIG MUFF  extreme fuzz but fun to play with

think isley brothers "summer breeze"

sustains for days  big_smile

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

I have had a few fuzzes but never got on with them. I always played them through clean amps and that is my mistake I think. I've had the dunlop fuzz face (red one), MJM London Fuzz, OxFuzz (ger), MXR classic 108 fuzz and have sold them all. I since bought an octave fuzz from ebay, played through a clean amp it sounds like crap, played through a driven amp however and there it is! I have since ordered a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz (sorry Joe, couldn't wait for yours) and it arrived this morning. Can't wait to plug her in.

So when will Joe's signature Fuzz be released?

You have to persevere with a fuzz...they are certainly not plug and play pedals.

It's essential to use your guitar volume control to control the gain. I use a strat into a Sunface thru a Cornell 18/20 and I reckon I have the guitar volume on 10 about 2% of the time . . . Mainly because it sounds like the outbreak of a nuclear war big_smile

I find that at small gig volume 5/6 for rhythm and 8 for lead gets you roughly in Hendrix/Philip Sayce territory. Then it's only the fingers that let you down.

But the Strat/Fuzz combo is a winner . . . and proof that a Strat can actually exist without a Tubescreamer

18 (edited by Rocket 2010-11-07 20:26:07)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I ei ey.     
     I love Davey. I think he' s the best thing to come out in years in this genre.   I am perplexed at the tone of this pedal.  It neither creates a good smooth fuzz or a Octavia clone. It is not pleasing to my ears. It's harsh even when great stuff is being played.  I think Davey deserves better than this.  But, if he is happy with this...  Who am I?  I just have to chime in if it gets post here. It's a forum for opinion.  Here's mine.  Buy a Fulltone Octavia.
Love Ya Davey but........
Joe B.

I don't think it's the miking or any signal chain object nor the room acoustics coloring too much either.  It's the guitar, or amp settings, together with the pedal itself sounding poor to some of us.  I got similarly poor sounds out of my grandfather's cheap Wurlitzer electronic organ long time ago.......

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”