Topic: Wilkes-Barre November 17th

We are now a little more than a week away so I figured it was time to try and get a pre-show meetup together.

I did a little searching online and found a place called Bart and Urby's which is located a block or so away from the Kirby Center.

It looks like a cool place and got good reviews from almost all that I read. The menu is pub grub and the prices are totally reasonable. They also seem to be a music oriented place.

They open at 4:00 PM and happy hour (all drafts $2.00, 1/2 price apps, $1 off mixed drinks) is from 5-7:00 which is perfect. We plan to get there when they open or shortly thereafter.

http://www.bartandurbys.com/index.htm

So all of you who are going, let me know what you think and we'll take it from there.

Looking forward to hanging with as many of you as possible!

Peace,

John & Kim

Re: Wilkes-Barre November 17th

Jane H. wrote:

That sounds great ForeverYoung. Thanks for the research.  I soooooooooooooo loooooooong to be there and meet you guys but won't be there. please down a few reasonably priced drinks for me and tell Joe and the rest i miss them! can't wait to hear all about it

Sorry to hear that you won't be there Jane. We certainly will down a few of those drinks for you though so no worries on that!

Being an Irishman it seems as good a reason as any!! cool

3 (edited by TieDyeVikki 2010-11-09 13:39:12)

Well now we're over in General Topics and we're STILL not getting posts from all those people who said they're coming... but then again you only started this thread 4 hours ago.

Anyway, those pre-show meet-up plans sound great... I'll be there, as early as possible... can't wait to meet you all!  smile

Next line of business: the POST-show party!  I mean most of you are probably in town overnight anyway, right?  Who likes bluegrass?  Just 1 1/2 miles away at the River Street Jazz Cafe (address: 667 N. River St, Plains, PA), there happens to be a good bluegrass show happening that night... Cabinet and Cornmeal.  I'm not sure what order the bands are playing... last I knew, even the venue didn't know.  Cornmeal is the bigger band (national, I think), so it would make sense that the local band Cabinet would be opening for them, however Cabinet has a big local following and the venue originally told me they'd be playing last.  Being a big Cabinet fan, I was all excited that you guys would get a chance to see them... now I'm not sure, as music usually runs from like 10:00-2:00 there, and we'd be missing most if not all of whichever band plays first... but either way, it'll be a good show and a fun time.  The River Street Jazz Cafe is a cool little bar with a friendly staff who mix a good drink at a real decent price and there's beer specials too.  Cover is $8 or $10, although they often don't charge full price when you're arriving that late... I might even be able to work out a deal with the doorman just for people coming from the JB show.  Oh and by the way, I'm told our Joe used to play there... maybe he'll come out for old time's sake?  wink

http://www.riverstreetjazzcafe.com/schedule

--Vik cool

Yeah I'm thinking that not everyone going has seen this yet. If it drops too far I'll give it a bump as we get closer.

So we have at least you (Vikki) coming anyway!!

We will definitely go to the after show. Sounds like a good time to me.

I too am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Should be a helluva night!!  cool

As we get closer, anyone that wants my cell # just e-mail me.

I will be going to the show as well......still deciding where to stay in wilkes barre...prob one fo the hotels right by the theater.......i will head to the bar whenever we arrive....see ya in 8 days!!!!

6 (edited by Forever Young 2010-11-09 16:56:49)

rudy67 wrote:

I will be going to the show as well......still deciding where to stay in wilkes barre...prob one fo the hotels right by the theater.......i will head to the bar whenever we arrive....see ya in 8 days!!!!

Yeah we are going to stay within walking distance of the theater as well.

I'll be there with Spider but cannot make any before or after show commitments at this time...

Easy on the beers... you don't want to make an emergency pit stop in the middle of the show if you know what I mean.

What really p*$$e$ me off is people getting up constantly to relieve themselves and disturbing those of us who want to soak up each and every second of the performance.  End of rant.  yikes

Major Tom to ground control...

Tom, you won't want to sit next to me then. I've got a bladder the size of a pea.

Spider wrote:

Tom, you won't want to sit next to me then. I've got a bladder the size of a pea.

That is halarious!

I was just coming back here to post the fact that beer isn't an issue since I have a bladder the size of a football  lol

Spider wrote:

You can have the aisle seat Andy  cool

Tom knows me. This ain't our first time in the pit. He's a best Bud for going to shows. And I AM looking forward to next week!  big_smile   cool

Hey all - Reading just showed up on Ticketmaster!  big_smile   big_smile    big_smile

RICjunkie wrote:

Hey all - Reading just showed up on Ticketmaster!  big_smile   big_smile    big_smile

Wow!! That is cool. Gonna have to get to that one too  cool

wow...i had some errands to run tomorrow....but they will have to wait till 10:15!!That Reading venue looks awesome....and less than 120 miles!!!!! C'mon Joe!!! NEW JERSEY.....6 days till Wilkes Barre!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

Forever Young wrote:
RICjunkie wrote:

Wow!! That is cool. Gonna have to get to that one too  cool

15 (edited by TieDyeVikki 2010-11-11 11:21:24)

In reference to the post-show party I posted about before, I meant to point out a few things:
1.  The River Street Jazz Cafe is 21+ only, and they do check ID at the door.
2.  They have plenty of free parking on the premises.
3.  Here's a google map to show how easy it is to get from the Kirby to The Jazz, and it's only 1.6 miles:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&sour … 8&z=14

--Vik cool

Edit:  Maybe I should add... The Jazz is a bit hard to see because it's located in the lower level of a little office complex... there is a sign out by the road though... the entrance is at a redlight by a McDonald's... coming from town, McD's is on your left and The Jazz is on your right.

I guess we're doing 3 days?!! Cool!!!  cool

We will be there... can't promise we'll be there by 4, but we'll definitely try to get there in time to spend some time with everyone before the show!

As for any after-parties, we will have to pass. Instead, we'll be dodging the drunks and the deer on I-81 en route back to Harrisburg.  lol

Don&Jocelyn wrote:

We will be there... can't promise we'll be there by 4, but we'll definitely try to get there in time to spend some time with everyone before the show!

As for any after-parties, we will have to pass. Instead, we'll be dodging the drunks and the deer on I-81 en route back to Harrisburg.  lol

Awesome! Glad that you are coming. We will be up there in the afternoon so we'll probably get there when they open at 4. So come on by when you get up there and we'll all hang out.

Only a few short days away!!!  cool